GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Jarnkrok and Kampf were both Dubas players that I think Trelving will want to move to free up even more cap-space. Expecially with Holmberg and Dewar in the bottom 6 mix now. No need for a 2.4Mill 4th line center who's skills can be translated at a cheaper price

I see Treliving targeting more of his and Berube style players

Bertuzzi - Mathews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Holmberg - Xxx
Xxxx - Dewar - Xxxx/Reaves

Reactions: Magic Man

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Marner (extended at 11.5M per for 8 years) for Jones (1.5M retained - 8M per for 6 years) + Toronto's 2025 1st rd. Pick + Chicago's 2024 2nd rd. Pick

Sign Montour at 7.5M per for 7 years.

Rielly - Jones
McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Liljegren
ex. Edmundson

They save 3.5M going from Marner to Jones, which covers half of Montour's salary. For years they have been top heavy at forward, this would help build a formidable defensive unit. With new risk of missing the playoffs because of the departing Marner, they pull in their own 1st to limit the potential damage.

Jones may be the best defenseman available in trade and Montour the best one from the free agent market. That would be a series of moves that could help transition the Leafs in a different direction come playoff time.

Reactions: OVO16

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
On the other hand you have the Tkachuk/Huberdeau deal where Marner would be Huberdeau in this situation (high point totals, invisible in the playoffs, 1 year from UFA). I don't think anyone in Florida regrets giving up on Huberdeau despite his point totals possible never being matched again.

Tkachuk was no playoff darling himself. Prior to arriving in Florida he'd produced just 15 points in 27 career playoff games.

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Marner (extended at 11.5M per for 8 years) for Jones (1.5M retained - 8M per for 6 years) + Toronto's 2025 1st rd. Pick + Chicago's 2024 2nd rd. Pick

Rielly - Jones
McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Liljegren
ex. Edmundson

They save 3.5M going from Marner to Jones, which covers half of Montour's salary. For years they have been top heavy at forward, this would help build a formidable defensive unit. With new risk of missing the playoffs because of the departing Marner, they pull in their own 1st to limit the potential damage.

Jones may be the best defenseman available in trade and Montour the best one from the free agent market. That would be a series of moves that could help transition the Leafs in a different direction come playoff time.
I like this. I can see Lilegeren getting traded as well in this scenario. I just don't know if Tre likes him

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Rielly - Jones
McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Liljegren
ex. Edmundson

I don’t think Chicago’s going to pay that much for the privilege of having Marner at an essentially 13mil cap hit for 6 years and locking up a retention slot as a seller.

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Can people please stop mentioning Seth Jones? 30 year old d-man with a 9.5m cap hit until 2030. We're counting down the days for Tavares to come off the books and people want to roll one anchor contract into another.

No.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Rielly - Jones
McCabe - Montour
Benoit - Liljegren
ex. Edmundson

Overall, I like the trade, and we could probably grab Emery with Chicago's second round pick.... Which would be nice.

Montour/Roy I'd be ok with. I think Montour is a bit overrated based upon one outlier season. This year he had 16 ES points... Roy had 22 ES, is bigger, more physical, a bit younger and will be cheaper... I'd go with Roy personally, given the choice. Interesting enough Zadorov had 19 ES points this year, and has really stepped up in the playoffs, and is a much bigger guy and presence.

The question being, will you pay for Montour's one hit wonder year, and do you think that will happen again?

Also, I don't think Chicago would retain for six years.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Can people please stop mentioning Seth Jones? 30 year old d-man with a 9.5m cap hit until 2030. We're counting down the days for Tavares to come off the books and people want to roll one anchor contract into another.

No.
If we can get him at 25% retained, along with the 2nd overall for Mitch, you have to consider that!

Reactions: Duffman955

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
If we can get him at 25% retained, along with the 2nd overall for Mitch, you have to consider that!
You'd "consider" the 2OA + Jones at 25% for Marner? Consider it? I think you'd have to consider the 2OA, without Jones, or retention...

Jesus... you take Cayden Lidstrom and run....

If Chicago's GM considered this, he probably should be fired, but yes you'd do that in a second. They'd never do the retention... But if Jones + 2OA was on the table, you absolutely do it.

Reactions: TheShape

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I still think it should be a 2 C replacement. For JT. We don’t have one.
That’s why I like the wright deal.

But if not. IFFFF he would go to Minny. A proposal I saw was

Marner for Rossi. Boldly. Gus.

That’s salary neutral. Get a 30/30 6.2 rw.
A tandem goalie for woll and a c prospect. He’s small though. Not sure how high we would be on Rossi.

If Freidge is correct and it’s best D man you can get. I want. Dobson/power/nemec/jirecek

Theodore for marner with extensions is reasonable I guess.

Duffman955

Mar 4, 2010
I say you just go get the best deal you van for Marner

If we can't get a Dman back, go the UFA route.

Lot of options:
- Pesce
- Roy
- Zadorov
- Montour

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Seth Jones
Alex Vlasic
2nd Overall Pick

To Chicago-
Mitch Marner
Fraser Minten
Timothy Liljegren
23rd Overall Pick

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Friedman made it sound like (on his latest pod after the 30min mark) that they were likely going to aim for the best available defensive talent in a deal (not a goalie or star forward replacement). Obviously that depends on which team he's willing to move to.

Why not just take the best package regardless of fit and then trade those assets for a defenceman? I feel there’s enough in free agency to rebuild the blue line and if they strike out on the free agents they want then, use the assets to trade for a defenceman.

I think playoff caliber teams are more willing to let go of futures than good NHL caliber players.

Reactions: Duffman955

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
I don’t think Chicago’s going to pay that much for the privilege of having Marner at an essentially 13mil cap hit for 6 years and locking up a retention slot as a seller.
Marner locked up for 9 years, Bedard entering year #2 and a fresh 2nd overall pick should have the Blackhawks coming out of their tank and pushing towards the playoffs with some savvy summer signings.

The Leafs had to retain on Kessel to move on from him and he went on to win two consecutive cups. Toronto was a seller at the time also. Marner is a highly valuable asset, he's a few years younger, more consistent and they are getting him for 9 years at a set rate and for 6 of those 9 they would have to pay Jones 1.5M to play for Toronto. Jones at his current cap hit and age has the potential to turn sour fast, if they lessen his cap hit and his play were to begin to regress it would sting less.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
Jarnkrok and Kampf were both Dubas players that I think Trelving will want to move to free up even more cap-space. Expecially with Holmberg and Dewar in the bottom 6 mix now. No need for a 2.4Mill 4th line center who's skills can be translated at a cheaper price

I see Treliving targeting more of his and Berube style players

Bertuzzi - Mathews - Domi
McMann - Tavares - Nylander
Knies - Holmberg - Xxx
Xxxx - Dewar - Xxxx/Reaves

Tre signed Kampf to that contract!

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
Tre signed Kampf to that contract!
It's been rumored that something was already being worked on with Kampf by Dubas prior to his departure, if Shanahan wanted him back as well it's very likely Tre just signed off on an existing framework for a deal.

Zero1

Nov 11, 2021
It's been rumored that something was already being worked on with Kampf by Dubas prior to his departure, if Shanahan wanted him back as well it's very likely Tre just signed off on an existing framework for a deal.

Oh damn, I didn’t know that. Even more reason to fire Shanny.

It’s not a horrible contract but definitely too much for the Leafs where he’s a 4C.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He's been Florida's #1 defenseman last 2 seasons. Good skater, is pretty solid all around and shown to be a solid performer.

You could do a lot worse. The alternatives aren't exactly going to be underpaid or any better.

I don’t dislike the player at all, but I can definitely understand hesitancy to give him a big deal. He’d never produced like did last year before, didn’t this year and may never again. I would agree though that acquiring top 4D through FA isn’t going to come cheap either way.

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad