GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

horner

May 22, 2007
A team like Nashvile is exactly where I think Marner would be willing to waive his NMC and sign. Competitive team, lowkey team, not in Canada anymore.

Goalies are fairly easy to get and are way too inconsistent, I wouldn't be happy if we are trading a 100point winger for anything but a d-man.
At least assets to get a Dman

horner

May 22, 2007
A team like Nashvile is exactly where I think Marner would be willing to waive his NMC and sign. Competitive team, lowkey team, not in Canada anymore.

Goalies are fairly easy to get and are way too inconsistent, I wouldn't be happy if we are trading a 100point winger for anything but a d-man.
I would build the defense first and we trade for a goaltender because Saros behind this defense won't be good.
Get assets for a dman.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I would build the defense first and we trade for a goaltender because Saros behind this defense won't be good.
Get assets for a dman.
We barely gave up 2 goals per game with Sammy with that defence but it could definitely use an upgrade. I'd love to move Rielly to open a spot/cap space for a top 2 RHD who can play the tougher minutes.

Reactions: horner

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Get assets for a dman.
Why not use the close to $6M in cap space gained in the trade to sign a good UFA dman.

Marner

For

Sarros and Pesce

Sounds a bit better.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Examples of recent trade and signs (extension done within days, unsigned RFA or 1 year from UFA only)
  • Turris for Girard, Kamenev, 2nd
  • *Stone for Brannstrom, Lindberg, 2nd
  • Pacioretty for Suzuki, Tatar, 2nd
  • Debrincat for 1st, 4th, Kubalik, Sebrango
  • Dubois of Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, 2nd
  • *Meier+5th (and stuff) for 1st, 2nd, 7th, Zetterlund, Mukhamadullin, Okhotiuk
  • *Horvat for 1st, Beauvillier, Raty
  • Tkachuk for Huberdeau, Weegar, 1st
  • *Lindholm for 1st, 2nd, 2nd, Vaakanainen, Moore
* denotes deadline(ish) trade

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Examples of recent trade and signs (extension done within days, unsigned RFA or 1 year from UFA only)
  • Turris for Girard, Kamenev, 2nd
  • *Stone for Brannstrom, Lindberg, 2nd
  • Pacioretty for Suzuki, Tatar, 2nd
  • Debrincat for 1st, 4th, Kubalik, Sebrango
  • Dubois of Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari, 2nd
  • *Meier+5th (and stuff) for 1st, 2nd, 7th, Zetterlund, Mukhamadullin, Okhotiuk
  • *Horvat for 1st, Beauvillier, Raty
  • Tkachuk for Huberdeau, Weegar, 1st
  • *Lindholm for 1st, 2nd, 2nd, Vaakanainen, Moore
* denotes deadline(ish) trade

Some good comparables here. Most of the returns were pretty bad for these uh? I liked the return for Dubois quite a bit, the Tkachuk (minus Huberdeau extension) was really good in hindsight.

Last edited:

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Some good comparables here. Most of the returns were pretty bad for these uh? I liked the return for Dubois, Tkachuk (without Huberdeau extended) and Turris most of these.
I don't know, comes down to what you're looking for at the time of trade, and retracting a little hindsight. The one thing that stands out is how little correlation there is between the "stature" of the player being traded and how good the day 1 return was.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Some good comparables here. Most of the returns were pretty bad for these uh? I liked the return for Dubois quite a bit.
Most of those are examples of bad teams trading one of their best players, so the return focuses on future assets. In the Leafs case, I think the deal will look more like the Calgary/Florida trade in terms of type of assets coming back to the Leafs (just, you know, hopefully better than Huberdeau).

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Most of those are examples of bad teams trading one of their best players, so the return focuses on future assets. In the Leafs case, I think the deal will look more like the Calgary/Florida trade in terms of type of assets coming back to the Leafs (just, you know, hopefully better than Huberdeau).

I'd aim for the Dubois return a bit more to add good young depth through the lineup (Kupari isn't very good though), but the Tkachuk return would obviously be more than fine with a little more finesse. I also don't mind the Lindholm return, which is a a lot of good picks returned and a solid prospect included, but I'd be shocked the Leafs go this route.

One thing is for sure, it's really hard to get a great return when you trade the best player.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Some won't like this but I'd sign DeBrusk before Domi or Bert.
I'd likely agree, but, I think Domi would be 'cheaper' ...I want zero to do with Bert though, he cant handle a puck at all, and his focus sucks. He cost us huge vs Boston with his selfish non stop pokes at Marchand, and still let Marchand outplay him.

Montour bomb from the Point great skater PP tough and mean
7 yrs @ 7 mil
he likely gets more than that.

Reactions: SprDaVE and ToneDog

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'd aim for the Dubois return a bit more to add good young depth through the lineup (Kupari isn't very good though), but the Tkachuk return would obviously be more than fine with a little more finesse. I also don't mind the Lindholm return, which is a a lot of good picks returned and a solid prospect included, but I'd be shocked the Leafs go this route.

One thing is for sure, it's really hard to get a great return when you trade the best player.
It's why I think we may see a 1-1 deal (with some picks) for another star player. Many won't like it, but a deal like Marner for Seth Jones makes some sense.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
More like he wanted out because he was not happy (probably with the coach??).
That would also worry me.

Some good comparables here. Most of the returns were pretty bad for these uh? I liked the return for Dubois quite a bit, the Tkachuk (minus Huberdeau extension) was really good in hindsight.
If Calgary had moved on from Huberdeau when they acquired him this deal would have been a slam dunk. He had a year left at 5.9M coming off 115 points.

Reactions: aingefan

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Treliving likes players with grit and edge. I think he wants that throughout his lineup, not just the bottom 2 lines and bottom pairings.

This is his first off-season with the leafs where he has enough proof to make the team the way he wants his team to look

I can see him trading Kampf and Jarkrok to free up more capspace to re-sign both Bertuzzi and Domi

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I'd likely agree, but, I think Domi would be 'cheaper' ...I want zero to do with Bert though, he cant handle a puck at all, and his focus sucks. He cost us huge vs Boston with his selfish non stop pokes at Marchand, and still let Marchand outplay him.
I think it would be a terrible decision to resign Bertuzzi to his current salary with term (which is presumably what he will want). He played with one of the best players in the league for a big part of the season and did very little offensively. These are the types of contracts where the Leafs can't afford to miss - a middle-tier guy on a $5-$6 million long-term deal. Bertuzzi will be dead cap space within 3 or 4 years.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
It's why I think we may see a 1-1 deal (with some picks) for another star player. Many won't like it, but a deal like Marner for Seth Jones makes some sense.

Well I'd feel pretty confident in saying that Marner for Jones (and more) will never happen for a lot of different reasons. The risk of acquiring Jones if he doesn't work out would be an insane death wish for Treliving and the Leafs.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Well I'd feel pretty confident in saying that Marner for Jones (and more) will never happen for a lot of different reasons. The risk of acquiring Jones if he doesn't work out would be an insane death wish for Treliving and the Leafs.
Doesn’t Jones also have a NMC? So either one could veto a deal.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I think it would be a terrible decision to resign Bertuzzi to his current salary with term (which is presumably what he will want). He played with one of the best players in the league for a big part of the season and did very little offensively. These are the types of contracts where the Leafs can't afford to miss - a middle-tier guy on a $5-$6 million long-term deal. Bertuzzi will be dead cap space within 3 or 4 years.

People forget how terrible Bertuzzi was for the first 3 or so months. He was unlucky a bit but overall he struggled and got benched/demoted through those months. Maybe a new coach can unlock something there but I see no reason to keep Bertuzzi unless he takes a significant paycut.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad