GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Rather than taking a crap deal for Marner, we should just eat the last year, move Reaves/Jarnkrok/Kampf/Timmins and then use the $26+ million in cap space to get two top 4 RD, a RW, and work some kids into the lineup up front.
A crap deal is better than losing him as a UFA for nothing?

I disagree and think people are crapping prematurely on what assets could come back in a deal for Marner.

…… and that’s not even including the assets we could sign with his $11m contract gone

Resigning Bertuzzi, Domi, and solidifying RHD form the UFA pool with that money right off the hop.

No show playoff Marner needs to go. He adds nothing that makes them contenders.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I think Seattle would be the first to enquire. They have the biggest need at RW, and could use the star power, and need an elite player.

I'd agree with you, that Utah could look to make a splash their first season as well.

Carolina... maybe, but I think they'd just extend Guentzel instead.

You can't rule out Vegas on anything, just because they do wild things.

I've seen Columbus mentioned, Hunter allegedly going to be the GM... for Kent Johnson and #4OA. Would be kind of fun to do a one stop shop... Tavares and Marner to Columbus Johnson, Boqvist, 4OA and Merzlikins.

Sportsnet has this one... I don't buy it.. .but...
Calgary Flames get: RW Mitch Marner, C Fraser Minten, LW Nick Robertson, D Timothy Liljegren
Toronto Maple Leafs get: G Jacob Markstrom*, D Rasmus Andersson
*Flames retain 25 per cent of Markstrom’s remaining salary
waiting for the rest of the deal.

Just make it marner for Andersson.

Keep the salary dump for another team.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Any deal with Utah for Marner would need to include Lamoureux coming to Toronto IMO.

To Toronto: Lawson Crouse + Maveric Lamoureux + WSH 2nd Rounder
To Utah: Mitch Marner

Reactions: supermann_98

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
One thing I'm not noticing here is we don't own our 1st next season

Ideally I'd like to take a step back next season to integrate some youth then go again the season after but that is ugly without that first

We can't risk falling off and if you get rid of Marner and/or Tavares that's a possibility

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Any deal with Utah for Marner would need to include Lamoureux coming to Toronto IMO.

To Toronto: Lawson Crouse + Maveric Lamoureux + WSH 2nd Rounder
To Utah: Mitch Marner

We could get a better return than this from Utah.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Maccelli+ Simashev/Guenther + 2025 1st (Top 10 protected). Similar to the Eichel deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

613Leafer

May 26, 2008

Ideally I'd like to take a step back next season to integrate some youth then go again the season after but that is ugly without that first

We can't risk falling off and if you get rid of Marner and/or Tavares that's a possibility

We can't be overly concerned about what that 1st ends up being.

What is the strategy most likely to build a LEGIT contender within Matthews 4 year contract (which would then make him more likely to re-sign)? That's really all that matters.

If Path X gives us the best opportunity to win a Cup, but it means potentially taking a step back next year and giving up a relatively high pick due to a trade the previous GM made, then oh well. I would want to hold onto guys just to save face in that 1st rounder, but generally reduce the teams odds if contending over the next half decade.

Also, pretty sure it's top 10 protected.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
A crap deal is better than losing him as a UFA for nothing?

I disagree and think people are crapping prematurely on what assets could come back in a deal for Marner.

…… and that’s not even including the assets we could sign with his $11m contract gone

Resigning Bertuzzi, Domi, and solidifying RHD form the UFA pool with that money right off the hop.

No show playoff Marner needs to go. He adds nothing that makes them contenders.
We could just under $30M (26ish) to spend without moving Marner. We can fix the defense and resign some guys if you want before making a move (although I would pass on Bert as he was garbage in the playoffs).

You don't just move a 95 point player for the sake of moving him and you rarely get better by doing so as you just sign worse players for the same money.

If you're fine with squeaking out a wild card, then fine punt him away, but this team is still better with him for at least next year.

Reactions: SprDaVE

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
We could just under $30M (26ish) to spend without moving Marner. We can fix the defense and resign some guys if you want before making a move (although I would pass on Bert as he was garbage in the playoffs).

You don't just move a 95 point player for the sake of moving him and you rarely get better by doing so as you just sign worse players for the same money.

If you're fine with squeaking out a wild card, then fine punt him away, but this team is still better with him for at least next year.
I have no problems punting away a player that has consistently been a no-show in the playoffs, yes.

He consistently adds nothing when it matters. I would much rather get something of value now in a trade, and use his money now to improve our depth at forward and on defence, areas that need improvement with or without Marner.

I don’t care about 95 regular season points from a guy who only shows up in the regular season.

We can add players that give us more depth and harder to play against and actually address weaknesses that make us a better team overall.

How the team performs on the ice is much more important than how it looks on paper.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
- Re-sign Maxi Domi - This should be easy since he wants to be back.
- Sign Chandler Stephenson. This would be the perfect playmaking C the leafs need on a team that has a lot of shoot first players.
- Sign Pesce to play with Rielly.
- Bring back Joel Edmundson
- Get a goalie to tandem with Woll.

Domi-Matthews-Marner
Knies-Stephenson-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Kampf-Reaves
-
Rielly-Pesce
Benoit-McCabe
Edmundson-Liljegren

Woll
Goalie

Reactions: Rude Dog

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Not sure how well connected Rachel Dorrie is, but she is a beat reporter who hears rumors now and then. She connected three names to a potential Marner trade
Saros
Nic Hague
Seth Jones

Those guys would be potential centre pieces. Who knows how valid the rumors are but I'm sure the leafs are leaving no stones unturned which is good, they're doing their job instead of stubborn belief

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Not sure how well connected Rachel Dorrie is, but she is a beat reporter who hears rumors now and then. She connected three names to a potential Marner trade
Saros
Nic Hague
Seth Jones

Those guys would be potential centre pieces. Who knows how valid the rumors are but I'm sure the leafs are leaving no stones unturned which is good, they're doing their job instead of stubborn belief
All 3 of those would be really bad. Jones isn’t worth his contract and he’s over 30. Saros has 1 year left before he gets overpaid and he’s over 30. Hague is a 3LD on a winning team. The Leafs are flush with LD.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
All 3 of those would be really bad. Jones isn’t worth his contract and he’s over 30. Saros has 1 year left before he gets overpaid and he’s over 30. Hague is a 3LD on a winning team. The Leafs are flush with LD.
Yeah depends on the + right? Are we getting 1st rounders and other premium assets or...

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
Saros
Nic Hague
Seth Jones

I'd imagine she is decently well connected - she has worked for nhl front office before even if she's had messy breakups with them.

None of those names I'm clamouring for as a centerpiece but could be interested in if the leafs are getting other high potential futures based pieces that could either develop or be flipped.

For me, Jones has the potential to be an absolute grand slam or a move that craters the Matthews Era as we know it with almost no inbetween.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

Top 10 protected right?

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I'd imagine she is decently well connected - she has worked for nhl front office before even if she's had messy breakups with them.

None of those names I'm clamouring for as a centerpiece but could be interested in if the leafs are getting other high potential futures based pieces that could either develop or be flipped.

For me, Jones has the potential to be an absolute grand slam or a move that craters the Matthews Era as we know it with almost no inbetween.
Yeah if we're taking Jones we're accepting considerable risk for no reason. It needs to be accompanied by something very tantalizing. Even retained it's a nightmare incarnate contract

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Tomasino is waiver eligible I think next year

I would play him next year. Hes a very solid player who preds mismanaged
I agree he's a solid player but I'd send him down. It sounds like a work ethic thing which I wouldn't want anywhere near the roster.
No interest in Holloway. If we deal robertson id take a 3rd back instead of Holloway
Curious what your gripe with Holloway is?

the real Fox mulder

Dec 4, 2022
There is zero chance marner sits next season. If the teams wants to deal him and he says no to waiving, you have to respect the player wishes and adjust your plan to 1 year down the road with the money coming off the books.

Sitting a perfectly healthy marner for a year to the clear detriment of the team, because he won’t waive his NMC would set a horrible precedent that I guarantee you the players both around the league and on this team would notice.
I agree that Marner has the right to not waive his NMC, but I'm not saying we should sit him if he refuses to waive.

I'm saying is that the best option for everyone is that Marner waive his NMC. Like I said with the Sundin not agreeing to a trade. Some leaf fans hated him for not agreeing to a trade, but Sundin had the right to refuse. I was never mad and don't hold a grudge on him for refusing, even if the best option for our future was that Sundin agree to a trade.

Marner is totally different here. With the playoff failure of the last seven years, and his contract coming to an end. Marner can change the course of our future by agreeing to waive and not waiting out his contract.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
Looking further into Arizona/Utah’s roster, I don’t see a need for them to acquire Marner… Keller, Schmaltz, Guenther and Doan play on the right side already.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I agree he's a solid player but I'd send him down. It sounds like a work ethic thing which I wouldn't want anywhere near the roster.

Curious what your gripe with Holloway is?
I just dont see an NHLer at all there

He hasnt been able to produce anytime in opportunities hes gotten

Oilers have needed a 3rd line young winger with spped and some skill but he hasnt been able to take that role

Robertson at least produced somewhat in a 3rd line role this year even though his size isnt a great point for him

Holloway to me seems like he will be a good 4th liner if he works and if he doesnt hes an AHLer imo

You might watch more oiler games then me and see more value in Holloway

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Rather than taking a crap deal for Marner, we should just eat the last year, move Reaves/Jarnkrok/Kampf/Timmins and then use the $26+ million in cap space to get two top 4 RD, a RW, and work some kids into the lineup up front.

Many ways of adding defenseman and using our cap space to the fullest potential without trading Marner for sure. I know people are fed up and don't wanna hear it, but I really want to see how this team (and Marner in particular) does with a new coach and what not. It's risky though because I do think Marner walks if he goes the off-season without an extension and losing a star player for nothing is rough.

Reactions: ACC1224 and Buds17

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I just dont see an NHLer at all there

He hasnt been able to produce anytime in opportunities hes gotten

Oilers have needed a 3rd line young winger with spped and some skill but he hasnt been able to take that role

Robertson at least produced somewhat in a 3rd line role this year even though his size isnt a great point for him

Holloway to me seems like he will be a good 4th liner if he works and if he doesnt hes an AHLer imo

You might watch more oiler games then me and see more value in Holloway
I watch no oilers games outside of the playoffs. All I’d be expecting from Holloway on the Leafs is to play the William Carrier role for 5-8 years.

Reactions: hamzarocks

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Saros
Nic Hague
Seth Jones

Saros would finally give this team a top end #1 goaltender that can play a ton of games. A small goaltender from Finland gives me PTSD though.

The other 2 names are pretty whatever or terrible and I'd rather play Marner 40 minutes a game.

Reactions: PhiladelphiaKessel

facelessjoe1990

Jul 12, 2012
I think Seattle makes a lot of sense for the team. I also think that it would be good for Marner. No state tax, nicer weather, etc. Does anyone know why a player wouldn't want to go to Seattle?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad