GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Marner won't go to SJ a rebuilding team
Would you
It will be the top 5 teams to win a cup
Take a look at what teams Tkachuk picked to go to
I would be absolutely shocked if he went to a bottom team

Tkachuk seemingly chose all the no state tax teams, minus Arizona because they were a dumpster fire

Reactions: horner

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
July 2

Tavares to Carolina for kuznetzov

Waive kuzy and you have created 8.2 Million in space.

They need C depth and scoring.
They are cheap and he would be 900 k.
They could win.
Rod would love him.

That’s about all I can see making sense here.

Don’t care as long as it is not the Leafs

Well finding a team he would sign with makes the trade speculation make sense

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
July 2

Tavares to Carolina for kuznetzov

Waive kuzy and you have created 8.2 Million in space.

They need C depth and scoring.
They are cheap and he would be 900 k.
They could win.
Rod would love him.

That’s about all I can see making sense here.

Well finding a team he would sign with makes the trade speculation make sense
We can speculate all we want but if a GM wants to make it happen, it will happen.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I’m sure Marner will waive is he’s going to a team like Vegas, Dallas, Carolina etc.

It makes much more sense that we offload him for picks, prospects and then use those pieces to make other trades.

If Marner restricts our options, we may just have to take the best assets and flip them.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
You don’t think he’d want to go to a contender?

Where do you think he would re sign?

NYR Dallas. Florida. Colorado it’s tough to see him re sign. They need cap as is and core players (rantanen shestherkin coming up)

Carolina doesn’t do bonuses and are cheap for re signing.

Edmonton has no room.
Vancouver maybe?

Boston could actually make some sense. But they won’t have C to play with. Ullmark Carlo and a prospect? Seems weak.

Washington is not competitive.
NYI could make some sense. Dobson. Or sorokin. Nelson. Pulock 1.
Vegas could make it work but apparently they want march back.

Pitt has nothing to deal.
Stl could work? If it would go there but they don’t do signing bonus/NMC.

Nashville/ Seattle could work. If he wanted to go there.

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Where do you think he would re sign?

NYR Dallas. Florida. Colorado it’s tough to see him re sign. They need cap as is and core players (rantanen shestherkin coming up)

Carolina doesn’t do bonuses and are cheap for re signing.

Edmonton has no room.
Vancouver maybe?

Boston could actually make some sense. But they won’t have C to play with. Ullmark Carlo and a prospect? Seems weak.

Washington is not competitive.
NYI could make some sense. Dobson. Or sorokin. Nelson. Pulock 1.
Vegas could make it work but apparently they want march back.

Pitt has nothing to deal.
Stl could work? If it would go there but they don’t do signing bonus/NMC.

Nashville/ Seattle could work. If he wanted to go there.
Focusing solely on states with no income tax.

Vegas would have to let Theodore or Barbashev go but they could re-sign him.

Dallas could do it without losing anyone.

Florida could afford to re-sign him without major surgery.

Tampa could re-sign him if they let Stamkos go or pay him <4M.

Nashville could afford him easily.

Seattle - no one wants to live there but they could afford him.

Reactions: Brobust

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I’m sure Marner will waive if he’s going to a team like Vegas, Dallas, Carolina etc.

It makes much more sense that we offload him for picks, prospects and then use those pieces to make other trades.

Someone bought up the Fiala trade on here. If we could get someone like Faber back I would be happy.

They get a very strong ELC player, a mid 1st round pick, and cap space to go chase whoever.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Focusing solely on states with no income tax.

Vegas would have to let Theodore or Barbashev go but they could re-sign him.

Dallas could do it without losing anyone.

Florida could afford to re-sign him without major surgery.

Tampa could re-sign him if they let Stamkos go or pay him <4M.

Nashville could afford him easily.

Seattle - no one wants to live there but they could afford him.

??? Dallas has like 15 million and need to sign 3 D (Harley) 4 D and a back up. Then they have Robertson coming up.

Florida has no money

Marner could potentially do Tampa.

Nashville could but who would he play with?

LA and NYI are the only playoff teams that make sense

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
??? Dallas has like 15 million and need to sign 3 D (Harley) 4 D and a back up. Then they have Robertson coming up.
When Marner is due a raise (2025) they have Benn (9.5), Faksa (3.2), Pavelski's bonus (2), Suter (3.65), Dadonov (2.25) all coming off the books (and the cap will be 92M). They could easily afford him. They would need to broker him through a 3rd team at 50% to afford him next season.
Florida has no money
When Marner is due a raise (2025) they will have <50M cap space committed. That includes Knight. They will have Verhaeghe, Reinhart, Ekblad, Montour, Bennett to re-sign in that time. Let's say they re-sign 4/5 of those (Reinhart - 9.5M, Verhaeghe - 7.5M, Bennett - 5M, Ekblad/Montour 7.5M). They would have to move on from one of their 2 G's but they could afford Marner.
Nashville could but who would he play with?
Forsberg would be the 2nd best forward on the Leafs.
LA and NYI are the only playoff teams that make sense
LA makes no sense. They have an impending hole at C they need to fill as well as a long existing hole at G. They have controlled top 6 wingers between Fiala, Kempe, Moore, Byfield.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
This little scoring problem has been happening for many, many seasons with multiple different defensive cores which had puck movers and we still couldn't score
But other pieces have also moved. Over the last 3-4 or so years we've really stacked on forwards who can get to the slot and find pucks.

To your other point, I don't think it's singular and we need to finish, but I found or chances weren't great this playoff especially later in the series and we had a lot of trouble in the areas I mentioned. We also had an injured/missing Matthews and a ghost Marner

Last edited:

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
When Marner is due a raise (2025) they have Benn (9.5), Faksa (3.2), Pavelski's bonus (2), Suter (3.65), Dadonov (2.25) all coming off the books (and the cap will be 92M). They could easily afford him. They would need to broker him through a 3rd team at 50% to afford him next season.

I keep coming back to Dallas, not to mention they have more prospects than they're going to know what to do with. They make too most sense as trading partners, competitive team plus no state tax.

Whether or not Paul would allow it, that's a different story.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
But other pieces have also moved. Over the last 3-4 or so years we've really stacked on forwards who can get to the slot and find pucks.

To your other point, I don't think it's singular and we need to finish, but I found or chances weren't great this playoff especially later in the series and we had a lot of trouble in the areas I mentioned. We also had an injured/missing Matthews and a ghost Marner

We had one goal from our bottom 6 in 7 games, with our PP issues you aren't going to win if you score like that

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Like half the proposals I've seen have him returning less than what the Leafs got for Kapanen lol, or what the Wild got for Fiala
I'd argue those arent the same returns. Casually they were mid 1st+ 2nd round prospect, but you would know better than most that in the Fiala trade 19th ovr was arguably the 2nd piece.

Given the cap and NMC situation a Fiala trade wouldnt be a hard trade to be ok with

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
To VGK: Marner (50% retained), Kurashev, Holmberg (-6.5M)
To TOR: Theodore, Roy, Hill (+1.4M)
To CHI: Marner 50% salary, Minten, Howden, Brisson (+5.1M)

To VAN: Rielly (+2.55M)
To TOR: Tomasino, Fabbro, McCarron, VAN 25 2nd (-6.5M)
To NSH: VAN 24 3rd, Garland, Kampf (+3.95M)

To EDM: Robertson
To TOR: Holloway

To CAR: Liljegren
To TOR: Drury

UFA:
Montour 7.5Mx7
Tanev 5Mx2

Re-sign:
Theodore 8Mx8 (2025 start)
Knies 4.5MX8 (2025 start)
Bertuzzi 5.5Mx4
Domi 4Mx4
Dewar 1Mx2
Holloway 1Mx2
Drury 1.35Mx2

View attachment 869014

Tomasino goes to the AHL. 2/3 of Timmins/Reaves/Dewar stay on the roster, 1 goes down.
Tomasino is waiver eligible I think next year

I would play him next year. Hes a very solid player who preds mismanaged

No interest in Holloway. If we deal robertson id take a 3rd back instead of Holloway

Love the other deals though

Reactions: Americanadian

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Marner was drafted 4th overall, the team finished dead last the next year. They made the playoffs with rookies, and have been a 100 point team with "contention" expectations ever since. He's lived the explosive rebound from bottom feeder.

I wouldnt discount the possibility of him buying into the vision of a "non contender" with some elite youth and their ability to turn the corner and provide his best opportunity to win over the duration of his extension- if they value that extension where he does.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Marner was drafted 4th overall, the team finished dead last the next year. They made the playoffs with rookies, and have been a 100 point team with "contention" expectations ever since. He's lived the explosive rebound from bottom feeder.

I wouldnt discount the possibility of him buying into the vision of a "non contender" with some elite youth and their ability to turn the corner and provide his best opportunity to win over the duration of his extension- if they value that extension where he does.

i think it's pretty clear that marner doesn't care about winning

Reactions: supermann_98

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Marner won't go to SJ a rebuilding team
Would you
It will be the top 5 teams to win a cup
Take a look at what teams Tkachuk picked to go to
I would be absolutely shocked if he went to a bottom team
I don't know. Many here don't think he's cut out for the big market pressure, SJ fits that bill. They're also going to be bringing in some good talent with Musty and Celebrini, and Marner would be a good player to help transition their game to the NHL. They can pay him the 8 year deal if that's his main goal. But, at the end of the day, I don't know if he'd waive.

This too.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Arizona is absolutely stacked with prospects. If he was willing to go there

Doan. Guenthrr. The Russians. 6th over all.
Geekie. A ton of picks this year.

They don’t have c prospects really though. A million wingers.

You could take Schultz as a 60 pt player and 8 million for Marner

Add doan/geekie and guentner.

Schmaltz. Doan geekie. 2nd for Marner

Reactions: supermann_98

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009

They're not trading Doan

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Utah would make a lot of sense to be aggressive to add a star player regardless of position. They do have a good collection of prospects but they also have some good NHLers that would help us now. Vejmelka is a goaltender that could do well in a split role with Woll. I'd also assume someone like Hayton or McBain would be of interest for the Leafs. Durzi would probably be a solid offensive defenseman to add as well.

No idea how a deal would look but I assume it would be a pretty good way of adding a lot of picks/prospects/young players to open cap space and restock depth.

Last edited:
Reactions: Menzinger

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad