GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
A lot of people are going to be really disappointed in the return when/if Marner is traded.

Best we are likely to do is trade him to a bottom feeder who likes the low real salary and has the cap space to not care much about that. A team like Anaheim could pick him up, staple him to Carlsson to boost him up for a season and then either flip Marner at the deadline to recoup whatever they gave up for him, or just maybe see if they can convince him to sign something reasonable if it's a good fit.
Any team trading for Mitch Marner is going to extend him. He's a PPG winger in his prime, no one will trade for him to flip him in 6 month, that would also require Marner to waive his NMC again.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Agreed even at 75 cents on the dollar. I watched the Rangers/Canes game last night and I thought no way Mitch and Nylander to a lesser extent, thrive in that game. I saw all the top players willing to get hurt to make a play. All I can is see both bringing their best perimeter games.
Yeah the guy who came back from vision impairing migraines to score the finaly 3 goals of the leafs season (all big ones, 2 leading to a game win), while playing in the series with the most hits wouldnt thrive in that series. You keep trying to paint Nylander as soft for some reason it's a bad look for the guy with the second most elimination game goals in maple leafs history. This guy over here thinks Sebastian Aho is 6'4 220 lbs and lays the body all game.

Reactions: SprDaVE

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Agreed even at 75 cents on the dollar. I watched the Rangers/Canes game last night and I thought no way Mitch and Nylander to a lesser extent, thrive in that game. I saw all the top players willing to get hurt to make a play. All I can is see both bringing their best perimeter games.
It’s like watching another league when you start going deeper in the playoffs, it’s a shame most fans here tune out after the Leafs are eliminated or don’t make the playoffs, because then they’d get why some of us have been harping for years that this team isn’t constructed properly, they like flashy pond hockey, I like war hockey. The uglier the better………

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
If Marner gets moved, who do we look at at UFA to fill that role?
Teravainen
Sprong (one of the better p/60 the last two seasons)
Arvidsson

If he resigned, Domi would also cover some of the offensive output with possibly a full year with Matthews (Matthews scored at a 130-point pace with him and Bert) and first PP minutes as well.

Also, it could be another trade.

Last edited:
Reactions: aingefan

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
This guy over here thinks Sebastian Aho is 6'4 220 lbs and lays the body all game.
Aho has lead his team in points every single time he's been in the playoffs. He also just re-signed for <10M in a state that has an income tax.

Which role specifically are we trying to fill? If you need a local winger who scored 1 goal in the playoffs you can snag Foegele.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Teravainen
Sprong (one of the better p/60 the last two seasons)
Arvidsson

If he resigned, Domi would also cover some of the offensive with possibly a full year with Matthews (Matthews scored at a 130-point pace with him and Bert) and first PP minutes as well.

Also, it could be another trade.

Marchessault would be a huge get. He's turning 34 this year so I'd be careful of course but he just scored 42 goals and has been a big time performer over the years. If the Leafs do trade Marner and don't take on much salary, he'd be up there on my list.

Reactions: Duffman955

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Any team trading for Mitch Marner is going to extend him. He's a PPG winger in his prime, no one will trade for him to flip him in 6 month, that would also require Marner to waive his NMC again.
What team is out there that he wants to go to, wants to resign with, and also wants him at 12+million a year? If he wants his money, which I'd be shocked if he doesn't, the only option to that gets any value back for the Leafs is going to be bottom feeders.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Chychrun, Pesce, Montour are all good options to explore in the offseason.
I’d avoid Pesce, he’s already on the decline imo. I really wanted to trade Nylander for him way back when, but that ship sailed years ago. I’d like guys in Benoit’s age bracket over veterans, at least that way they might have a chance for their game to improve instead of the inevitable decline you get with seasoned vets………

Reactions: freshwind

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yeah the guy who came back from vision impairing migraines to score the finaly 3 goals of the leafs season (all big ones, 2 leading to a game win), while playing in the series with the most hits wouldnt thrive in that series. You keep trying to paint Nylander as soft for some reason it's a bad look for the guy with the second most elimination game goals in maple leafs history. This guy over here thinks Sebastian Aho is 6'4 220 lbs and lays the body all game.
First goal was a Marner floater from the blueline that went off MacAvoy's knee. Marner gets ripped for the goals he's scored from that far out. The second goal was elite. The third was a nice set up from Matty into a wide open net.

I give him credit for scoring in games 4-7 but when it comes to toughness, he is closer to Marner than Tom Wilson. Willy had 32 hits all season (82 games). Tavares has 13 total in games 6 and 7 and Benoit had 36 in the 7 games. Willie had 5 hits in 4 games.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Lots of interesting trade proposals. For Marner, the one that I could see happening would be with Arizona/Utah. Smith will be wanting to make this team both exciting and a playoff contender. Marner fits the bill there., and we get two good players (I'm talking out of the side of my mouth here because I do not know these players' stats) to help balance out the lines. Also, we get out from under Marner's next contract demands as well as his disappearing acts in the playoffs.

I can't see Tampa doing it because those two players are signed for quite a few years at very reasonable contracts. As for the Kings, they already have PLD for the next 8 years (yikes), so I cannot imagine they would want Marner and what his next contract will be. I am not familiar with either the team or players with the other one.

I think if Rielly is willing to go anywhere, it would be either Vancouver or Seattle.

I think Tavares wants to stay, and I don't blame him if he does. It's his right to do so.
Rielly and Lilly for Borgen and one of McCann or Tanev, I’d say Dunn, but that ain’t happening……..

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
First goal was a Marner floater from the blueline that went off MacAvoy's knee. Marner gets ripped for the goals he's scored from that far out. The second goal was elite. The third was a nice set up from Matty into a wide open net.

I give him credit for scoring in games 4-7 but when it comes to toughness, he is closer to Marner than Tom Wilson. Willy had 32 hits all season (82 games). Tavares has 13 total in games 6 and 7 and Benoit probably had 36 in the 7 games. Willie had 5 hits in 4 games.
how many hits did Panarin get last night? yeah man let's take the only crunch time scoring off the team because he doenst play "war hockey" like panarin LOL. once again second most elimination game goals in the maple leafs history. So Soft!

Reactions: supermann_98

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
If you are trading Lily and I expect that will be the case and you do not resign Boosh, those two dmen need to be right handed. That reduces your list.
Boosh and Edmundson are both options, but how about younger versions of these players…….

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
Problem is the length of his contract and back injuries. nothing against the dman himself. Back injuries for taller players on the other side of thirty are a recipe for disaster even if he's fantastic now
Please show your work. lol missed a few games 3 years ago and 3 games last three years but yeah back injuries. What a joke

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Honestly, I'm kind of over trying to find a D man to babysit Rielly every year. Rather find a pure upgrade over Mo instead and move him to 2nd pair if we're not going to trade him. I'd approach all of Marner, Tavares, Rielly about their NMCs.
I agree, I’m tired of trying to find someone to make up for Rielly’s defensive ineptitude……..

Hoglund4MvP

Jan 26, 2022

I give him credit for scoring in games 4-7 but when it comes to toughness, he is closer to Marner than Tom Wilson. Willy had 32 hits all season (82 games). Tavares has 13 total in games 6 and 7 and Benoit had 36 in the 7 games. Willie had 5 hits in 4 games.
You need a balanced team.

Why do you need your almost 100 point forwards to put up all those hits? Leafs were already going to lead playoffs in hits.

Nylanders job is to score and he was on his usual elite paces. We're not asking Benoit to put up points like we expect nylander

Reactions: ToneDog

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Please show your work. lol missed a few games 3 years ago and 3 games last three years but yeah back injuries. What a joke
Gardner had that happen and then his back just went. sorry for being weary of a taller player with a back injury who's 30 years old

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
how many hits did Panarin get last night? yeah man let's take the only crunch time scoring off the team because he doenst play "war hockey" like panarin LOL. once again second most elimination game goals in the maple leafs history. So Soft!
4 but who cares? we are talking about Willy and who said anything about moving Willie off the team? My position is we need to move Marner and build around 34 and 88 going forward. Willy is not paid to be Tom Wilson but that does not mean he is not soft.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
My concern with Montour, given what his price will be, is how much his offense fell off this season. It makes me wonder if last season was an aberration. If it was, that would be an expensive contract for a 40ish point defenseman.
Yup, I’m tired of paying premium for declining D men, it’s like the Leafs are the semi retirement transition team……

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
You need a balanced team.

Why do you need your almost 100 point forwards to put up all those hits? Leafs were already going to lead playoffs in hits.

Nylanders job is to score and he was on his usual elite paces. We're not asking Benoit to put up points like we expect nylander
100% but that does not make me a liar when I called Willy soft. Kessel is much softer and won cups. We can with Willie as well if we do not allocate half the cap to this core.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Marchessault would be a huge get. He's turning 34 this year so I'd be careful of course but he just scored 42 goals and has been a big time performer over the years. If the Leafs do trade Marner and don't take on much salary, he'd be up there on my list.
The term has to be right, but I wouldn't say no.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Yup, I’m tired of paying premium for declining D men, it’s like the Leafs are the semi retirement transition team……
Then you have to develope your own dmen. Unfortunately the Leafs have sucked at that.

Elite Bruins dmen over the years: Orr, Park (trade), Bourque, Chara (trade), MacAvoy

Leafs: Salming, Rielly.

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
I wonder if Detroit would be a dark horse team in the Marner sweepstakes. Their captain Larkin has made it publicly know he’s wanted to play with Marner and the two had really good chemistry over the all-star weekend.

To Toronto: Michael Rasmussen + Simon Edvinsson + 1st Round Draft Pick
To Detroit: Mitch Marner

Reactions: aingefan

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
I wonder if Detroit would be a dark horse team in the Marner sweepstakes. Their captain Larkin has made it publicly know he’s wanted to play with Marner and the two had really good chemistry over the all-star weekend.

To Toronto: Michael Rasmussen + Simon Edvinsson + 1st Round Draft Pick
To Detroit: Mitch Marner
I'd ask for Danielson over any other asset. Leafs haven't had a top 9 RS C since Bozak.

horner

May 22, 2007
A lot of people are going to be really disappointed in the return when/if Marner is traded.

Best we are likely to do is trade him to a bottom feeder who likes the low real salary and has the cap space to not care much about that. A team like Anaheim could pick him up, staple him to Carlsson to boost him up for a season and then either flip Marner at the deadline to recoup whatever they gave up for him, or just maybe see if they can convince him to sign something reasonable if it's a good fit.
NMC he's not going to Anaheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad