GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
We all know Tanev is getting signed on July 1st. He is a Tre favorite. Hoping it's not an overpayment.

He's been very good for Dallas. I would say if he hits the market it's a good bet. His contract would be a 35+ I believe so the Leafs need to navigate that in a smart way in case he regresses badly. But he'd be a fairly good defensive defenseman to add.

Reactions: Gallagbi

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Maybe Dubas wants his boy back? Marner to Pittsburgh for Crosby. :laugh:
I’d do that if better offers weren’t available, but if he resigns gotta be a sweetener in the deal…….

Karlsson would be a huge addition. Never gonna happen of course but man... It would fix a lot of the issues we had.
I’m pissed we have Rielly, a D man who can’t play D and his offensive talents have disappeared and you want Karlsson to help cripple the D. Oh brother……..

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
My Dream off-season:

(Looking forward to the hate)

TRADE 1
Utah Yetis Receive:
Auston Matthews
Cap out: 13.25M

Toronto Maple Leafs Receive:
Josh Doan, Logan Cooley, Dylan Guenther, 2024 1st, 2025 2nd (TOR)
Cap In: 2.769M

Total cap change (Gained 10.481M cap space)

TRADE 2
Columbus Blue Jackets Receive:
Mitch Marner
Cap Out: 10.9M

Toronto Maple Leafs Receive:
Boone Jenner
David Jiricek
Cap IN: 4.6683M

Total cap change: (Gained 6.2317M Cap space)

UFAS OUT:
>Samsonov (3.55)
>Lyubushkin (0.6875)
>Giordano (0.8)
>Brodie (5.0)
>Domi (3.0)
>Bertuzzi (5.5)
Total: (Gained 18.5375M Cap space)

Buy out/Get Rid of:
>Reaves
>Kampf
>Jarnkrok

UFAs in:

Sam Reinhart (9.5M?)
Dylan Demelo (4.5M?)
Chandler Stephenson????

Reinhart - Stephenson - Nylander
Knies - Cooley - Guenther
Robertson - Tavares - Jenner
McMann - Cowan - Gregor
Doan

Rielly - Demelo
McCabe - Liljegren
Jiricek - Timmins
Edmundson

Woll
(Backup)

Come on haters - whatchya got? Let's blow this F*****ing team apart...

Marner ... Matthews.... They both have no playoff gear - no extra gear - chuck em both and let's see what we can get in return - restock the cupboards - young talent

In before "They have NMCs" --- I know.... This is just a dream scenario
Not a chance CBJ does that.

Secondly, you made a move for Jiricek who is still trying to find his NHL footing, and play him on his off side?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I’d do that if better offers weren’t available, but if he resigns gotta be a sweetener in the deal…….

I’m pissed we have Rielly, a D man who can’t play D and his offensive talents have disappeared and you want Karlsson to help cripple the D. Oh brother……..

If he had 1 or 2 years left, I think he'd easily be the perfect target. He's a premier talent and I think we need more of those. There's 6 D to put in and I don't think we need more meatheads that can't move a puck or shoot on net, especially if they retain Lyubushkin and/or go after someone like Tanev. I was mostly joking anyway since there's no way they trade him anyway.

Reactions: TheMadHatTrick

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
He's been very good for Dallas. I would say if he hits the market it's a good bet. His contract would be a 35+ I believe so the Leafs need to navigate that in a smart way in case he regresses badly. But he'd be a fairly good defensive defenseman to add.
It wouldn't qualify for 35+, Kane didn't qualify this year as a November birthday.

Reactions: SprDaVE

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
I know a lot of people are circling Jones from Chicago, but is we could somehow get Vlasic, I would be all over that.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Marner for Jones isn’t a great, great match, since I’m sure people are worried about the optics of a Marner-Bedard looking terrible for the Leafs but Rielly for Jones might be doable from a money POV. Contracts end around the same time and you get a bigger defenseman who can play the workhorse role, is a way better skater.
Jones isnt a better skater than Rielly?

His skating is good but not great while skating is Rielly biggest strength

Jones only really makes sense if hes at 6M retained to be our #2D and then Rielly is out and Theodore is in L/T at 9M to be #1D

D-core of

Theodore (9M) - Pesce/Roy (5.5M)
McCabe (2M) - Jones (6M)
Edmunson (3M) - Benoit (1.3M)

Would be prettt nice to have. I guess the only issue maybe 3rd pairing lacking a better puck mover as both Edmunson & Benoit struggle at that

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario

Crosby is a little worse than Matthews at 36/37

Hes a top 15 player/borderline top 10 just off his last 2 seasons in his 18th and 19 year in the NHL

He wouldnt ever be dealt but if he did and they said we want marner, that would be the biggest fleece in leafs history

Reactions: JKG33

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

Jones only really makes sense if hes at 6M retained to be our #2D and then Rielly is out and Theodore is in L/T at 9M to be #1D

D-core of

Theodore (9M) - Pesce/Roy (5.5M)
McCabe (2M) - Jones (6M)
Edmunson (3M) - Benoit (1.3M)

Would be prettt nice to have. I guess the only issue maybe 3rd pairing lacking a better puck mover as both Edmunson & Benoit struggle at that

I like Theodore but I don't think he's a $9 AAV d-man

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
I like Theodore but I don't think he's a $9 AAV d-man
He has 177 pts in his last 233 games (4 seasons of hockey) which is a 62 pt pace per 82 and plays 22-23 mins a game for the Knights

Rielly got 7.5M in 2022. His past 4 years had 186 pts in 260 games or 59 pts per 82. Rielly played on a higher offense/talent team but league scoring is higher now in 2020-2024 vs 2018 - 2021

7.5M /83.5M (2022 salary cap which was when rielly signed under) ~ 9%

Theodore would sign under projected 92M cap so that gets it up to 8.26M. I think the extra 750K is just theodore being better than Rielly at time of signing

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Clickbait media pundits are salivating at the rumours they can throw out there about the Leafs' this off-season

Last off-season they got a lot of it right, especially with running it back, Treliving being hired, the Matthews extension and being in on Reaves. I think we're about to get more of that soon.

Last edited:

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
He has 177 pts in his last 233 games (4 seasons of hockey) which is a 62 pt pace per 82 and plays 22-23 mins a game for the Knights

Rielly got 7.5M in 2022. His past 4 years had 186 pts in 260 games or 59 pts per 82. Rielly played on a higher offense/talent team but league scoring is higher now in 2020-2024 vs 2018 - 2021

7.5M /83.5M (2022 salary cap which was when rielly signed under) ~ 9%

Theodore would sign under projected 92M cap so that gets it up to 8.26M. I think the extra 750K is just theodore being better than Rielly at time of signing

I think It's a bit of semantics... I think $9 is an overpayment. $8 is high but more justified. But it's not huge deal. You're analysis is sensible.

Some recent comps I look at are Hanifin ($7.35) and Toews ($7.25).

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002

Rielly's skating has declined quite a bit over the years. For a guy whose strength is skating he's caught flat footed an awful lot out there and he's not great when he gets cycled into the ground. Jones has the easy mobility of a big wingspan defenseman.

Reactions: ULF_55 and fahad203

BertCorbeau

Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Rielly's skating has declined quite a bit over the years. For a guy whose strength is skating he's caught flat footed an awful lot out there and he's not great when he gets cycled into the ground. Jones has the easy mobility of a big wingspan defenseman.

Wingspan can matter.. it was really noticeable with Edumunson. A big defender with strong positioning and a good stick it really tough to play against.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wingspan can matter.. it was really noticeable with Edumunson. A big defender with strong positioning and a good stick it really tough to play against.

Yep. Build a redwood forest of defensemen with a mix of top pairing guys who also have the size profile that Benoit, Lyubushkin and Benoit bring. Blend in transition and skating defensemen. You can kind of see what the thought process was with Klingberg.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Valid points on Pesce, and I'm somewhat concerned too. I just don't think Roy makes it to UFA, but I could be wrong.

And even if he does, he's from Detroit and played NCAA there. He'll have plenty of suitors, so unlikely we're offering the best contract.

He's the UFA I'm most interested in, I just struggle to see why he'd come here.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
Team is going to extend Marner in the summer, be the same mid team next year and will change when JT is off the books @ 11m in 2025-2026. They would be a lot better of a team if they were only paying 3 of the players (39% of the cap, 13.25,11.5m,12m, and the cap goes up to 92mill --Based off capfriendly cap projection in 2025-2026)

Book it. (This is not what I want them to do but they have doubled down on them before, why not again.)

Reactions: ULF_55

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
There is 0 goalies on the UFA market. I know going back to Sammy is not an option, but who do you get?

Here is the top 5:
  1. Cam Talbot
  2. Anthony Stolarz
  3. Alex Nedeljkovic
  4. Kaapo Kahkonen
  5. James Reimer

Like it's pretty bleak on that department
Driedger is my guy for a 1a with Woll. Stokarz and Ned are good options, but Driedger is the best bet to take a one-year show me deal I think, place holding until a much better goalie class is available in the 25 off-season where you’ve also got a better projection on both Woll and Hildeby.

lol Arizona isn’t trading Gunther or Cooley! Beyond wishful thinking! Come on now be serious
In general I’m with you about top prospects, but dude….

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009

I'd be comfortable with 1-2 years at $4-4.5M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad