GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Oh, you are correct.

11 forwards
7 defensemen
2 goalies
~ 82 million

So someone retains $5mm it would work, and they'd have 12 forwards, letting Marchessault walk.

And it is Vegas so probably someone making $9mm will be on LTIR for however long it takes to get under the Cap.

You could in theory do

Marner for Theodore.
Marner for Karlson and Hague/whitecloud

Something like that.

or 3rd party retention for Hague and 1st

Reactions: horner

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
You could in theory do

Marner for Theodore.
Marner for Karlson and Hague/whitecloud

Something like that.

or 3rd party retention for Hague and 1st
In what world does that make any sense for Vegas? Why would a team full of playoff warriors want a guy who's been the complete opposite of that?

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
I like the second round pick we get with Merzlikins.

The free agents goalie crop this year isn't good at all.

As far as Boosh is concerned... led the team in +-, was physical, did what was asked.. I thought he made a decent partner for Rielly....

The issues in the playoffs were the PP, scoring, coaching, scoring... .I don't think the Rielly partner should address any of those issues, no matter who you choose.... if you want to address it on another pairing, or in other ways sure... but the Rielly partner should be the guy ensuring Rielly being a defensive liability isn't a big issue for the team.. and it wasn't with him.

I'd rather not commit 2.75M until 2027 to a goaltender struggling mightily regardless of taking on a 2nd round pick. There are a few goaltenders to sign that can do just as good, or trade for an actually good goaltender. With that said, Columbus has been terrible so maybe it's worth the gamble.

I like Lyubushkin and hope he sticks around this time but over 3M for a low event physical defenseman will likely not be good at all long-term. You either get him under 3M or move on. Need more offense and higher upside on defense.

Punch Drunk Loov

Thought Viktor Loov was going to be a guy
Dec 6, 2011
Hopefully we have the off-season planned out via Plan A, B, C and onwards depending on whether core forwards are willing to waive so we can balance the team.

I find myself thinking back to Dubas acquiring Murray. Good grief how could he let himself get to that point. We're very lucky he's on LTIR. We only managed a 3rd rounder out of that?!

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Would prefer we target Vince Dunn if Marner waives. Use the secondary piece(s) to couple with John Tavares on his way to San Jose for picks.
Seattle views Dunn in almost the same way that Toronto views Rielly. Why would they consider trading Dunn? He's the pillar of their D core.

WatchOut

Feb 7, 2016
Ontario
How about we trade Timothy, Roberston and late draft pick for Connor Murphy, should be a good partner for Rielly and Chicago get two young player that should align with their timeline.

Sign Roy for 5.5 million for the 2 pair RD and sign Stolarz as 1B at 2.5m.

Resign Domi around 4m and work from there. Also trade Timmins for late pick, since he doesn't really have a future with us imo.

If we decide to keep marner then we can't add more then this but if he is gone. We should be able to add another top 4 d-men and maybe a top center to push Tavares to wing or 3c.

Domi- Matthews - Marner
Knies - Tavares - Nylander
Cowan - Ufa - McMann
Holmberg - Kampf - Jarnkrok

Rielly - Murphy
?(Edmundson) - Roy
McCabe - Benoit

Woll
Stolarz

Should have about 4m to sign missing d (maybe Edmundson) and 3c, ideally spensing the cap on d and center can be upgraded during trade deadline.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I'd rather not commit 2.75M until 2027 to a goaltender struggling mightily regardless of taking on a 2nd round pick. There are a few goaltenders to sign that can do just as good, or trade for an actually good goaltender. With that said, Columbus has been terrible so maybe it's worth the gamble.

I like Lyubushkin and hope he sticks around this time but over 3M for a low event physical defenseman will likely not be good at all long-term. You either get him under 3M or move on. Need more offense and higher upside on defense.
Fair comments on Merzlikins... I went with it, as the team has been terrible, and hoping for a change in scenery. That's the thought process. I have no interest in trading for a goalie if it's going to cost anything significant... such as a Markstrom trade would cost us.

I mean $3/3.25 isn't much to argue about... Sure, sign him to $3 mil then... We just need someone to steady the Rielly partnership... that's been a problem for years.

Reactions: SprDaVE

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Couturier really had 2 separate seasons. 1st half he was looking like his old self. 2nd half he got named captain, and the wheels inexplicably fell off. There was beef with Torts, and likely some fatigue from his first full season in a while.

With a guy of his pedigree I'd take my chances. Even if he loses some of that offense he used to have, he becomes more of a Staal/Danault type he'd still be valuable. Maybe Philly retains a bit to make a trade work

Definitely a risk but I see where you’re coming from.

Perhaps if you could wrangle a pick/prospect with Couts too then it’d be a nice package:

Couturier + Bonk + FLA 2024 1st

A late first, a quality prospect, and an NHL player for Marner (extended).

Just a quick glance at this though, not thinking in too much depth.

Reactions: JKG33

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I started that before Benoit signed. I personally like Lily, and would keep him at $3 mil... feel free to create your own mock. We need someone who can move the puck, and play on the PP, which he can.
I think it’s time to move on from Lilly, like Sammy he appears to be mentally fragile, AND cannot deal with the physical side of being a good NHL defence man……….

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Definitely a risk but I see where you’re coming from.

Perhaps if you could wrangle a pick/prospect with Couts too then it’d be a nice package:

Couturier + Bonk + FLA 2024 1st

A late first, a quality prospect, and an NHL player for Marner (extended).

Just a quick glance at this though, not thinking in too much depth.
Yea I'd love something like this tbh. Maybe even take out Bonk if it helps get more retention on Coots.

I'd really love TK, I think he'd be a beast on Matthews wing or on his own line, but re-signing him would feel irresponsible with how badly this team needs to reallocate money to defence

Reactions: BertCorbeau

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
Seattle views Dunn in almost the same way that Toronto views Rielly. Why would they consider trading Dunn? He's the pillar of their D core.
I don't know if Toronto or Seattle view either as their "pillar" against true pillars in the league, so much as they're the best they have.

Marner is better than a ppg career average and a tier above any player on the Kraken. He would be the club's bona fide star and leader.

I think at worst they would consider it.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
I’d be 100% happy with a Markstrom / Woll duo in net next year.

Somehow get Marner to waive NMC. Marner + Liljegren for Markstrom + Andersson ?

If no to the above, I’d still push to see what it would cost for Markstrom alone.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
In what world does that make any sense for Vegas? Why would a team full of playoff warriors want a guy who's been the complete opposite of that?

Eichel?
Had never even made the playoffs. He was the definition of a malcontent throughout his time as a sabre.

They go for big top line talent and let the rest figure itself out.

Marner easily be the best talent available in a position of weakness.
He would also be good stone insurance

Green Snow Storm

Jul 22, 2009
Canada
I don’t really have an appetite to have Liljegren at 3 million aav, and I don’t think Treliving does either. I think we can get an ok asset in return for him. He’s a guy that’s ok, but I haven’t really seen him take strides the past 1-2 years. He might go elsewhere and flourish but I kind of doubt it.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I’d be 100% happy with a Markstrom / Woll duo in net next year.

Somehow get Marner to waive NMC. Marner + Liljegren for Markstrom + Andersson ?

If no to the above, I’d still push to see what it would cost for Markstrom alone.
Markstrom would be nice to have, but from an assets and cap perspective I'd rather spend on defence. Run with Woll and someone else cheap. I'd like to see Woll given the net with a veteran behind him rather than ahead of him

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Shane Wright + William Borgen + 1st Round Draft Pick
To Seattle: Mitch Marner

To Toronto: Thomas Chabot
To Ottawa: Timothy Liljegren + Nick Robertson + 1st Round Draft Pick

UFA Signings: Brett Pesce

A little worried about Pesce’s decline in play this season but he could still fit in nicely next to Rielly and be that Hainsey type fix.

Thomas Chabot - Jake McCabe
Morgan Rielly - Brett Pesce
Simon Benoit - William Borgen

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Eichel?
Had never even made the playoffs. He was the definition of a malcontent throughout his time as a sabre.

Eichel was a playoff unknown - for better or worse. He at least looks like a competitive guy.

It's well known what playoff Marner is at this point.

If Vegas wants to spend on forwards they might as well save the assets and just keep Marchessault.

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
I don't know if Toronto or Seattle view either as their "pillar" against true pillars in the league, so much as they're the best they have.

Marner is better than a ppg career average and a tier above any player on the Kraken. He would be the club's bona fide star and leader.

I think at worst they would consider it.
We tried building around a winger (Phil Kessel) and that didn't work out so great. I think most teams know that you need to build around centers and defenseman. A goalie is important too, of course, but they aren't as predictable year-to-year as skaters are.

I mean, I'd love to be wrong. By all means, give us Dunn for Marner!

Reactions: ITM

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
A couple different Marner offers from a pair of Seattle fans, assuming Marner would extend with them

Bjorkstrand+2025 1st + 2024 NYR 2nd + Nyman/Goyette/Sale
Bjorkstrand + Oleksiak + 2024 40th ovr + Nyman + Goyette

Option 2 could maybe have Larsson instead of Oleksiak

Some will not like the quarter and dime nature, but there's a lot of value there. Rehkopf is the prospect I would want but they were stingy on him. Push comes to shove, if either came to pass I wouldn't hate it.

In any case, a pleasant reminder that the main board trolls saying he's a cap dump aren't the prevailing opinion in the hockey world.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Eichel?

Hell if Vegas is crazy enough to want Marner I’d do it for Roy and a sweetener, take the cap space and run………

lanceuppercut75

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto area
Seattle's biggest needs are a true legit #1 center and a top pairing D (preferably right handed). The thing they have too much of is scoring wingers with cap hits that aren't small. They aren't going to move Borgen out to bring in an expensive winger, unless Marner is extending long term, and they'll then look at moving a non-Marner winger for D.

EDIT - see above, 4thline's post: the Seattle fans that made offers for Marner had a scoring winger with a not-small cap hit going back to Toronto. They could move out a winger to bring in Marner, sure, but keeping their wingers and adding Marner as well makes very little sense.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

To Toronto: Thomas Chabot
To Ottawa: Timothy Liljegren + Nick Robertson + 1st Round Draft Pick

UFA Signings: Brett Pesce

A little worried about Pesce’s decline in play this season but he could still fit in nicely next to Rielly and be that Hainsey type fix.

Thomas Chabot - Jake McCabe
Morgan Rielly - Brett Pesce
Simon Benoit - William Borgen
Pesce already on the decline, pass on that one. I’d do the Marner to Seattle deal, doubt they do. Rather swap Mo for Chabot and move Lilly for other parts………

A couple different Marner offers from a pair of Seattle fans, assuming Marner would extend with them

Bjorkstrand+2025 1st + 2024 NYR 2nd + Nyman/Goyette/Sale
Bjorkstrand + Oleksiak + 2024 40th ovr + Nyman + Goyette

Option 2 could maybe have Larsson instead of Oleksiak

Some will not like the quarter and dime nature, but there's a lot of value there. Rehkopf is the prospect I would want but they were stingy on him. Push comes to shove, if either came to pass I wouldn't hate it.

In any case, a pleasant reminder that the main board trolls saying he's a cap dump aren't the prevailing opinion in the hockey world.
Interesting……..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad