GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I feel like the likelihood that Tavares waives is basically zero.

And I put Marner at 10%.

I just cannot be bothered going back and forth with posters on this topic. It is a waste of time.

It makes me wonder what many posters do for a living because it is some fantasy level lunacy to think the Leafs have any leverage.

There is nothing worse than work environments where either management or employees fail to understand who has the leverage in a given situation.

????? Multiple reporters have all stated they expect the core to be altered.
Friedman “wondered” and both mortle and kypreos directly said that Marner was prepared to move last year and would be willing to move on if they failed this year.

It’s not lunacy at all the guy has been nuts about the media and fans and looks miserable all year

Reactions: supermann_98

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
????? Multiple reporters have all stated they expect the core to be altered.
Friedman “wondered” and both mortle and kypreos directly said that Marner was prepared to move last year and would be willing to move on if they failed this year.

It’s not lunacy at all the guy has been nuts about the media and fans and looks miserable all year

Just curious if they have any first or even second hand information about marner being willing to waive.

Of course, anyone can speculate but that doesn't make it factual.

Reactions: LeafParade

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Just curious if they have any first or even second hand information about marner being willing to waive.

I think they generally know. They have been pretty on point in the past.

Kyper was first on Willie’s extension
Cj does a who’s staying and going and it’s pretty much identical.

There is way too much smoke.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008

Siegel mentioned in his article that Marner apparently was prepared to move on last off-season if approached. Seems likely he'd probably feel the same again. Snippet from his article:

“He finished with three points in seven games against the Bruins. He wasn’t the offensive difference-maker the Leafs needed him to be, especially early in the series when Nylander was absent.

He might be just as ready for a change as the Leafs are. He was prepared for the possibility last summer.”

Reactions: aingefan

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
As an outsider, the player I am looking most at is JT and the fact that in the playoffs he has underperformed every year in the playoffs. I truly believe the hatred towards MM has been and was always created by the media to take the blame off of AM and JT. JT, local boy comes home and does good-but he hasn't and his cap hit has screwed the leafs more than any on ice play by MM

JT has come up with clutch goals/plays in the playoffs. He scored the goal in '21 that should have put us over TB that got waived off on a BS call. Then in '22 he scored the gwg to beat TB in game 6. And this year he had the key play that resulted in a Knies goal that got us back into the series. He also raises his physical game in the playoffs and wins key faceoffs.

But yes, everyone realizes that he no longer impacts the game as an $11mil player should, there just isn't much that can be done about it for another year.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Shanny has used up his nine lives. How do you break up the core and keep the guy who doubled and tripled down on them? The idiot should have been fired as soon as he wanted Lou out and Dumbas in. Can't believe he's survived this long.
shouldve been fired when he hired lou mark hunter and dubas actually; all varying degrees of suck on this team

Reactions: ToneDog

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I feel like the likelihood that Tavares waives is basically zero.

And I put Marner at 10%.

I just cannot be bothered going back and forth with posters on this topic. It is a waste of time.

It makes me wonder what many posters do for a living because it is some fantasy level lunacy to think the Leafs have any leverage.

There is nothing worse than work environments where either management or employees fail to understand who has the leverage in a given situation.
In a worst case (likely they both refuse) scenario Leafs do have an out, a buyout. If they're serious about a culture change then the measly returns for both won't matter.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Ron Francis came out and said that they want immediate help. They need a top line winger and might have to “part with prospects they don’t want to” to get one.

Does anyone know who’s good in their system?
Nothing really jumping out. I think i would do wright 1 for 1 (Marner extends obviously)

Would the 8th pick be enough?

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Ron Francis came out and said that they want immediate help. They need a top line winger and might have to “part with prospects they don’t want to” to get one.

Nothing really jumping out. I think i would do wright 1 for 1 (Marner extends obviously)

Would jump at the chance to get that 8th pick.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

8th OA plus one of their recent 2nd's (Firkus, Dragicevic, Rehkopf)? No idea.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

I thought Francis was looking for a goal scorer. I had suggested Nylander before he signed.

I'd want more than the 8th pick and I expect them to send a contract back unless we retain.

Reactions: aingefan

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Unless it's a top 5 pick, immediate impact player. I don't see the sense in trading Marner for futures. Would rather do something like Pulock +

Reactions: uncleben

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Unless it's a top 5 pick, immediate impact player. I don't see the sense in trading Marner for futures. Would rather do something like Pulock +

Ideally yes but is Pulock (or that player) even available?

Sometimes getting those picks and prospects in a haul is just as good. They can be used in a deal for an impact player as well.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Rehkopf, Nyman, Firkus, Goyette, Sale would all be in the Cowan/Greb/Minten tier in our pool.

What's the status of Shane Wright? Seems like a GTA guy who is a little too much in his own head and suffers from too much of the overhype, but he's another young guy.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
This aint NHL 24. Its rarely that easy.

So you mean to tell me that if we acquired a couple of 1st round picks in the Marner deal, a third GM would say "keep your picks, this isn't Chel?"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad