GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Imagine the reception Marner gets from the fans in his first home games after the Leafs leak that he refused to waive his NMC. It may take time, but he will soften and waive.
I'm sure the brass will cover his ass saying "there wasn't a deal out there that made sense!" and the media shill will back Tre up.

Reactions: ToneDog

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I posted this earlier, but the logical smarter step would be extending Marner and waiting to make bigger changes to the team once JT contract is off the books. It seems short sighted to walk away from a PPG winger when the biggest issue of flexibility solves itself in a years time.

Paying 3 players around 35% (13.25, 11.5m, 12m~) of the cap when its at 92m (cap friendly projection for 2025-2026) looks a lot better and gives you money to actually build a team with depth.
The challenge being, is this a problem of cap allocation, or players who can't raise their game in the playoffs. To me, it seems like Marner puts too much pressure on himself in the playoffs, and his game is adversely affected. Those teams who have had success with a core, often change pieces of their core, until it works. It isn't necessarily about the cap, as it is finding the right mix of players, and those players who can raise their games when it counts.

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
Small sample size my friend. Try looking big picture.

You must have loved Willy on Pasta's OT winner. Now that is what we need more of.
ahh sample sizes... like when he had 49 points in 53 games in the playoffs? or had more PIMS than points in his first 27 playoff games? or when he quit on his team and pouted his way to a different team because he sucked in the playoffs at the time?

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
ahh sample sizes... like when he had 49 points in 53 games in the playoffs? or had more PIMS than points in his first 27 playoff games? or when he quit on his team and pouted his way to a different team because he sucked in the playoffs at the time?
He did not want to play in Calgary. Neither did Johnny hockey and Kadri refused to waive to go there. Tavares left the Island for Toronto. Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg. Pronger wanted out of Edmonton. Did they all pout their way out? Tavares stringing on the Islanders is so much worse than anything MT did to Calgary.

Truth is, Leafs would kill to bring in MT. You might want to revisit last years series against Boston. If you don't have enough time, start at game #5. Then watch how he helped eliminate the Canes in 4. Watch the OTs in that series to save yourself some time.

Then go watch the core 4 playoff highlights. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.

Reactions: Evilhomer

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
He did not want to play in Calgary. Neither did Johnny hockey and Kadri refused to waive to go there. Tavares left the Island for Toronto. Trouba wanted out of Winnipeg. Pronger wanted out of Edmonton. Did they all pout their way out?

Truth is, Leafs would kill to bring in MT. You might want to revisit last years series against Boston. If you don't have enough time, start with game #5. Then watch how he help eliminate the Canes in 4. Watch the OTs in that series.

Then go watch the core 4 playoff highlights. It shouldn't take more than 15 minutes.
would the leafs had killed to bring in a guy who had 15 points in 27 playoff games and got paid 10 million for it? hmmm

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
would the leafs had killed to bring in a guy who had 15 points in 27 playoff games and got paid 10 million for it? hmmm
MT only agreed to 9.5m. Of course they would have. Florida did and they have benefitted while we are discussing exit interviews and the team is ready to hit the links and their cottages.

I'd kill for the Leafs to lock up a 40G/100P player for 9.5M.
Nah, give me Willie for $11.5m or Mitch for $12m. Wait until you see what Florida signs their 57 goal scorer for.

Last edited:

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
I posted this earlier, but the logical smarter step would be extending Marner and waiting to make bigger changes to the team once JT contract is off the books. It seems short sighted to walk away from a PPG winger when the biggest issue of flexibility solves itself in a years time.

Paying 3 players around 35% (13.25, 11.5m, 12m~) of the cap when its at 92m (cap friendly projection for 2025-2026) looks a lot better and gives you money to actually build a team with depth.

I meant just sign him. I don't think they should let him go to UFA.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
That is atrocious.

Jensen is gonna be a 34 regressing defender starting next year coming off of a major injury. He can skate well, and yes adds a bit of puck movement. But he's far from the defender we need.

Especially when you're trading a 22 year old forward who was pacing for 21 goals and 40 points in 3rd line minutes as well as a youngish 5D.

Jensen at this point is worth about a 2nd. So stick with that.
Generous of an offer even with that 2nd round pick offer. I swear people on here don't watch the games at all. (I mean that to the guy who created the original deal)

Reactions: Mitch nylander

TMLAM34

Oct 15, 2020
To Toronto: Juuse Saros + Cody Glass + Jeremy Lauzon
To Nashville: Mitch Marner + Conor Timmins

I wouldn’t be too upset about that. Lauzon would be a nice addition next to Benoit on the third pair. Both can play their off-side.

Reactions: Frostitute

horner

May 22, 2007
In what world does that make any sense for Vegas? Why would a team full of playoff warriors want a guy who's been the complete opposite of that?
Because marner would surrounded by those player and he will have a bur up his ass ri wun a cup .
Marner needs this for his career as a player so do our guy's Mathew's, Nylander and Mo.
They all need a wake up call

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
MT only agreed to 9.5m. Of course they would have. Florida did and they have benefitted while we are discussing exit interviews and the team is ready to hit the links and their cottages.

Nah, give me Willie for $11.5m or Mitch for $12m. Wait until you see what Florida signs their 57 goal scorer for.

Did people miss JT taking less then he was offered, try to make it up with loopholes then get sued for millions?

Comparing fla to Toronto salaries is crazy

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
I think we have to be realistic that Marner is not going to do us any favors. If he agrees to lift his NMC it will be for the destination he wants to go, not the team that will give Toronto the best return.

So the question is not what can we get for Marner. It's what can we get for Marner from the team he's willing to go to, and is that worth more than the cap space he represents or the cost of resigning him.

What cities do you think he'd be willing to go to?

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Impossible to say right now. Is he interested in winning? small market? close to home? who will pay him the most?

TheMadHatTrick

Nov 2, 2008
Impossible to say right now. Is he interested in winning? small market? close to home? who will pay him the most?
Yup, tough to say. We know he wants it all (money, fame, a good team, nice city with fun stuff to do, but also anonymity with no criticism or large media). It's a small pool of cities if that even exists.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
What league does Florida play in? What league does Toronto play in?

If you can’t compare contracts to a team in the same league then how are you expected to compete?

They play in the same league with completely different taxes and take home pays.

This is well known. Stamkos even just said it.

They are going to have to over come the clear advantage that tax friendly teams have.

at 9.5 player in Toronto is not the same in Florida. This is known recognized and insdisputable

Yup, tough to say. We know he wants it all (money, fame, a good team, nice city with fun stuff to do, but also anonymity with no criticism or large media). It's a small pool of cities if that even exists.

That’s probably LA/nashville/vegas .

I think we have to be realistic that Marner is not going to do us any favors. If he agrees to lift his NMC it will be for the destination he wants to go, not the team that will give Toronto the best return.

So the question is not what can we get for Marner. It's what can we get for Marner from the team he's willing to go to, and is that worth more than the cap space he represents or the cost of resigning him.

What cities do you think he'd be willing to go to?

And he absolutely should. That’s his right. If he isn’t signing here. He should decide where he wants to go (there is probs a few options) and make sure he goes there.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
What league does Florida play in? What league does Toronto play in?

If you can’t compare contracts to a team in the same league then how are you expected to compete?

But things are always going to be uneven when it comes to stuff like that.

Some locations for a variety of reasons will have advantages over others.

Florida has warm weather, lack of media pressure and favorable local taxes. Toronto has none of those; Toronto in turn likely has advantages over some other places like Winnipeg. But teams are never on fully even playing fields when it comes to contracts

Reactions: Evilhomer

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Then its in torontos best interest not to do him any favors either.

Marner needs PP#1 and ES1/2 minutes to hit high numbers before free agency. If Marner and his agent pull their usual crap then you let his minutes next year reflect that. Give those minutes to players who are part of the long term plans.

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013
It's kind of a shame that Ryan O'Reilly didn't seem to gel well with the group, because a trade that makes a lot of sense to me would look something like this...

To Nashville
Mitch Marner ($10.9 million)
David Kampf ($2.4 million)
Prospect

To Toronto
Juuse Saros (5.0 million)
Ryan O'Reilly ($4.5 million)

Why would Toronto do it?

It solves two of Toronto's glaring issues, in one trade, at an affordable price. Toronto adds a bonafide starting goalie that is still in his prime and a legitimate 2C who has a couple years left on his contract, playing at a 2C level. Furthermore, Toronto adds $3.8 million in cap space needed to extend Max Domi and still add a legit 1RHD.

Why would Nashville do it?

They're re-tooling and Marner could pair with Forsberg in a great city, with an awesome tax situation. Meanwhile, Askarov is ready to come up and be their goalie and getting value out of Saros, rather than losing him in free agency would be great asset management. They also have holes at center, which Kampf would fill nicely in their bottom 6.

2024-2025 Leafs

Addition-Matthews-Domi
Knies-O'Reilly-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Holmberg-Dewar

Rielly / Addition
Edmunson / Liljegren
Benoit / McCabe
Lyubushkin

Saros
Woll

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
It's kind of a shame that Ryan O'Reilly didn't seem to gel well with the group, because a trade that makes a lot of sense to me would look something like this...

To Nashville
Mitch Marner ($10.9 million)
David Kampf ($2.4 million)
Prospect

To Toronto
Juuse Saros (5.0 million)
Ryan O'Reilly ($4.5 million)

Why would Toronto do it?

It solves two of Toronto's glaring issues, in one trade, at an affordable price. Toronto adds a bonafide starting goalie that is still in his prime and a legitimate 2C who has a couple years left on his contract, playing at a 2C level. Furthermore, Toronto adds $3.8 million in cap space needed to extend Max Domi and still add a legit 1RHD.

Why would Nashville do it?

They're re-tooling and Marner could pair with Forsberg in a great city, with an awesome tax situation. Meanwhile, Askarov is ready to come up and be their goalie and getting value out of Saros, rather than losing him in free agency would be great asset management. They also have holes at center, which Kampf would fill nicely in their bottom 6.

2024-2025 Leafs

Addition-Matthews-Domi
Knies-O'Reilly-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Jarnkrok
Robertson-Holmberg-Dewar

Rielly / Addition
Edmunson / Liljegren
Benoit / McCabe
Lyubushkin

Saros
Woll

I could see Vegas deal with like karlson and Hague.

Matthews
Karlson
Jt would look good

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
Mitch for Brady.

Helps Ottawa make the playoffs. See if Brady can play a playoff style.

How many pitchforks out of 10 is that worth? :laugh:

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
To Toronto-
Theodore
Karlsson
Roy

To Vegas-
Marner
Liljegren
Robertson

Resign Domi