Speculation: Trades and Proposals 2015-2016 V3

Status
Not open for further replies.

carko32

May 14, 2014
Slovenia
I was thinking the same thing but Carle makes $5.5M till 2018 and consuming that much cap space to acquire a guy who may figure it out is a big risk.

I think we need to stay out of the Drouin sweepstakes as we have something good going for ourselves any way.

We just need Pittsburgh to barely squeek in and we'll have a very good farm and a plethora of young players close to contributing in the NHL.

I agree with you, having Carle on our cap for next 2 season is not nice, but I think it could go through.

Well Coburn is also losing his playing time, but I don't think he is that much of burden on them. We could try Polak+Kapanen for Coburn+Drouin, maybe some additional prospects, but nothing extreme like Marner, Nylander or 2016 1st.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Within the years that the Leafs would be paying Carle, do you think that the Leafs could contend?

I'm not sure that they could.

So is it worth taking on a terrible contract to get a former 3rd overall pick?

I still think TB will trade Drouin and Stamkos together if possible. In an arrangement like this with say the Leafs for instance they can bury the appearance that they got little back for Stammer.

I think the two would be coming here for JVR, Bozak and/or Polak and a prospect or something comparable to that.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
I agree with you, having Carle on our cap for next 2 season is not nice, but I think it could go through.

Well Coburn is also losing his playing time, but I don't think he is that much of burden on them. We could try Polak+Kapanen for Coburn+Drouin, maybe some additional prospects, but nothing extreme like Marner, Nylander or 2016 1st.

There's still a huge gulf of quality between Polak + Kapanen and Marner, Nylander, or our 2016 1st. None of the latter are considered in any way an option for us. By anyone. However, guys like Komarov, Gardiner, JVR, and lesser prospects like Percy, Harrington, Kapanen, Leivo, etc. are all very much options to pry Drouin away. TB needs 2 things right now - more scoring and better D. We're in a position to give them at least one of those, plus we have the option of alleviating cap space.

Carle is a non-issue if it means getting Drouin. The issue to focus on is what we're giving up, not Carle's contract.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I still think TB will trade Drouin and Stamkos together if possible. In an arrangement like this with say the Leafs for instance they can bury the appearance that they got little back for Stammer.

I think the two would be coming here for JVR, Bozak and/or Polak and a prospect or something comparable to that.

Both Stamkos and Drouin should fetch a huge return. One that Toronto shouldn't even consider based on their talent levels and how much it would cost.

Tampa Bay is definitely not in the drivers seat with either situation other than the fact that they can just say to Drouin, "deal with it or don't play hockey." With Stamkos, he could leave for nothing. But Tampa is 2 points out of a playoff spot. How do you tell your fans that you're trading away 1 of your best players?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Johansen, Rychel
for
Stamkos, Drouin, conditional 1st.

(+/-) other pieces to obscure

Stamkos has to agree to the move.

BJ's get a conditional 1st. if Stamkos doesn't re-sign. He won't.

Not bad. It buys Tampa Bay one more year before they will have to pull a Chicago Blackhawks from a few years ago and clear a couple contracts.

They will have to re-sign Bishop, Johansen, Hedman, Palat and Johnson. Yikes.

There's no way Stamkos agrees to be traded to the Blue Jackets anyway.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not bad. It buys Tampa Bay one more year before they will have to pull a Chicago Blackhawks from a few years ago and clear a couple contracts.

They will have to re-sign Bishop, Johansen, Hedman, Palat and Johnson. Yikes.

There's no way Stamkos agrees to be traded to the Blue Jackets anyway.

I agree, but maybe that facilitates the move to Toronto via Columbus.

Remember all the flack Sundin got for not agreeing to be traded from the Leafs? So when Stamkos refuses a trade to help his team he's the same pariah, and the Lightning can then say they tried to improve the team but Stamkos was too selfish!

:rant:

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As I said in other thread, I would try to take Carle from them and send one of our bottom6 defenders, either Hunwick or Polak. Plus add some good prospect, like Kapanen or Percy, maybe someone else from 2013 or 2014 draft.

My view is similar, but maybe more ambitious, it would depend entirely on how Leaf management views Drouin: positively then go for it.

To Tampa: JVR + Kormorov + Hunwick/Polak or a cheaper D which would fit Tampa's salary structure.

To Toronto: Drouin + 1st in 16 + either Bruin or Bolt 2nd in 16 + Carle

This, as said, is solely dependent on whether management sees Drouin having Marner like upside.
Tampa, I'd think, would be happy to c Carle gone, realize that anything they take from our D improves theirs and can ride JVR and Komy until the TDL to c how they move forward. If happy or not, I think it gives them some flexibility at the TDL to acquire something they deem useful for another push for the Cup.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Both Stamkos and Drouin should fetch a huge return. One that Toronto shouldn't even consider based on their talent levels and how much it would cost.

Tampa Bay is definitely not in the drivers seat with either situation other than the fact that they can just say to Drouin, "deal with it or don't play hockey." With Stamkos, he could leave for nothing. But Tampa is 2 points out of a playoff spot. How do you tell your fans that you're trading away 1 of your best players?

Drouin won't, Stamkos would.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Within the years that the Leafs would be paying Carle, do you think that the Leafs could contend?

I'm not sure that they could.

So is it worth taking on a terrible contract to get a former 3rd overall pick?

A couple of reasons why paying Carle that much could be the wrong choice:

1. Need to have as much of cap space as possible to try to get Stamkos here

2. Cap space is valuable to complete trades as well

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
A couple of reasons why paying Carle that much could be the wrong choice:

1. Need to have as much of cap space as possible to try to get Stamkos here

2. Cap space is valuable to complete trades as well

Isn't the cap space that the Leafs have right now helping to facilitate a trade?

I'd love to send more salary the other, maybe Lupul instead of Polak. But I'm not sure Lupul & Kapanen/Percy get the trade done.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Carle has two more years left...what are peoples expectations of this team?

If they are waitin for Nylander, Marner, etc for that next step those guys will be on elc for 3+ years

OvenMittz*

Carle has two more years left...what are peoples expectations of this team?

If they are waitin for Nylander, Marner, etc for that next step those guys will be on elc for 3+ years

This..
We're not going for a cup run in 2 yrs.. He will be a serviceable Dman under Babcock and then he's gone.. While our young guns grow. If bringing in Carle is what gets us a nice prospect to join the prospect pool then pull the trigger. 2yrs doesn't hurt us.

And for those worried about us not signing Stammer because of it is ridiculous.. We are rebuilding, we need all the high end prospect we can get.. If Signing stamkos is going to get in the way of us accumalting good prospects then to hell with him and his 12+ contract.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
As per the Blue Jackets beat reporter, Leafs are among 7 teams interested in acquiring Rychel.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/01/world-renown.html

-- Rychel is an interesting case. You remember the dust-up at development camp, when Rychel's camp -- agent, father, possibly others -- met with Blue Jackets' officials and demanded an explanation as to why Rychel seems parked so deep on the depth chart? The Dispatch has been told repeatedly that Rychel asked for a trade before the season started, but the Blue Jackets have shown no interest in trading him. The New York Rangers, Calgary, Toronto, Montreal, Anaheim, Boston and Detroit have all reportedly shown interest, and why not? Rychel is a point-a-game player in the AHL and has plenty of sand paper.

Makes sense to me. Good young player that fits our rebuild. Also fits a need in terms of size and skill. A top 9 potential LW as well, which we don't have a ton of.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
As per the Blue Jackets beat reporter, Leafs are among 7 teams interested in acquiring Rychel.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2016/01/world-renown.html

Makes sense to me. Good young player that fits our rebuild. Also fits a need in terms of size and skill. A top 9 potential LW as well, which we don't have a ton of.

Wonder if the same people will vote against acquiring Rychel as they have done with Drouin.... I would say Columbus is probably more likely to want picks and prospects back than Tampa Bay.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Can't hit what you can't touch, you see size I see skill. Getting Drouin for JVR is a no brainer to me, add another top flight prospect to an already top 3 pool and we're laughing. Plus we'd still have our UFA's to deal at the deadline for even more picks. All of a sudden an organization desperate for young talent just a few years ago would be the envy of the league.

Let's say Komarov goes for a 1st rounder we'd have..Marner, Nylander, Kapanen, Drouin, Timashov, Dermott, Percy, Harrington etc. + 3 1st round picks in next year's draft lol that's insane.

Im more interested in if those players actually make the NHL and be impact players. Some here are so enamoured with prospects and potential and often forget the reality that they haven't made the NHL yet and many prospects never make an impact.

OvenMittz*

Wonder if the same people will vote against acquiring Rychel as they have done with Drouin.... I would say Columbus is probably more likely to want picks and prospects back than Tampa Bay.

I hope not.. But I'd be willing to part with Percy if it makes it work.

Percy needs a change in scenary, Rychel just seems to feet this team better.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener

they might also want some cap relief considering how poorly the current group is performing relative to expectations

Tyutin, Hartnell, Aktinson maybe even Bobrovsky

Hartnell's is pretty bad so would have to be a sweet deal

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
they might also want some cap relief considering how poorly the current group is performing relative to expectations

Tyutin, Hartnell, Aktinson maybe even Bobrovsky

Hartnell's is pretty bad so would have to be a sweet deal

Forgot Clarkson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad