Speculation: Trade with Buffalo

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
The "Miller has stated he will never play in Canada" meme is rampant. Does anyone have a link to a vetted article stating this?

I think it's highly unlikely we acquire Miller due to his salary and our cap, and the fact that we would have nearly 10M tied up in goaltending, but considering he's a UFA at seasons end he may waive his NTC to come to a Canadian team if he feels the playing situation might be more palatable than in Buffalo where things have soured.

If no American team is kicking his tires, 3/4 of a season in Canada may seem preferable to him. His family wouldn't have to move here and he'd be in the States most of the season anyhow.

Doug Maclean stated it as fact a few days ago on Hockey Central as Noon. something along the lines of "Miller has said he won't play in Canada". Not sure where he got it from.

LeBrun did report that Edmonton was on Millers no trade list.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Doug Maclean stated it as fact a few days ago on Hockey Central as Noon. something along the lines of "Miller has said he won't play in Canada". Not sure where he got it from.

LeBrun did report that Edmonton was on Millers no trade list.

Yeah I've seen that Kyprios mentioned it too.

I wonder if it was a case of Miller telling a friend or teammate "I don't want to play in Canada" and then one media guy getting it and it gets regurgitated til all of the sudden he has a 'no trade to Canada' list.

Even if he said he wouldn't go to Canada, I think my earlier point is valid that it is less than a season and he wouldn't REALLY be playing in Canada. He would be in Canada for maybe 40 games max. Who knows, maybe he comes here and falls in love with the fans and atmosphere?

At this point I wouldn't care if he played a year and walked. I would love for us to find a way to get out of that awful Pavelec contract.

Tarks

True North
May 12, 2011
Winnipeg
At this point I wouldn't care if he played a year and walked. I would love for us to find a way to get out of that awful Pavelec contract.

I'm with you on this point. Get out of that awful contract and it would give the team an opportunity to play in front of a true #1 goalie. I would be doing cartwheels if we could find a way to make this happen. And I don't think it's as far fetched as many here think it is. The big question, is Chevy ready to move on and trade Pavs or make him our backup?

sting13

Jul 30, 2011

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Maybe Pavs wants out of the Peg?

On the one hand I doubt that Pavs is going anywhere. I don't think management wants to move him. However, for the right price no one is untouchable. Perhaps Pavs is looking to get out of the Peg? During a recent post game interview, he showed himself to be an extremely frustrated goaltender.

Pavelec could ask for a trade, but there's 29 teams in the league that have zero interest in him on his current deal.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
1) He can wave his no trade clause
2) good.
3) why are they at the buffalo games, with our goalie scout?
4) buffalo would have to eat it.

Buffalo can't eat enough of the contract to keep the Jets under the cap without sending a big contract (which Buffalo wouldn't want) back.. The only way a deal for Miller could work is if Pavelec is going the other way to keep the Jets under the cap, and there's no chance Buffalo would want Pavelec's contract. The other possibility would be Jokinen, but we don't have any forwards to really replace him, so that seems unlikely.

I doubt the Jets would start tossing assets away for a pending UFA at this point, particularly a guy that we have very little chance of re-signing.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
No chance.
Miller wants to go to a big city. His wife is a actress so places like California and
New York are high on his list.

All of the California yes have their goaltending situation solved as do the Rangers and Devils. That leaves just the Islanders and they aren't exactly big spenders.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Unless the Jets plan on converting Miller to a forward, he will not help this team.

Really? So you don't think a consistent raise of .010 sv% isn't going to win this team more games?

We have plenty of scoring on this team. We were league average last year (16th) in G/G and we have improved our scoring depth this season despite some early struggles.

What has remained consistent is our below average goaltending. Not even below average. We are below what some teams backups are performing at. Not acceptable.

The biggest single thing this team could do to improve our lot is get better goaltending.

MrWigglez

May 31, 2011
Winnipeg
The biggest single thing this team could do to improve our lot is get better goaltending.

My vote for biggest single thing is to stop having 1 major mistake per game (usually in the dying minutes of the 3rd) that costs us a goal and the game.

Goaltending is a very close 2nd tho ;)

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
The only way we could make room for Miller is by including Pavelec in the deal or moving him separately... Which just wont happen IMO

- Buffalo wants picks/prospects, not an underachieving expensive goalie locked up for another 3 years (or whatever it is after this year)

- Pavelec due to his contract would have no trade value to anyone. As there are BETTER goalies out there likely available soon, that are on much friendlier contracts than Pavs

- We cant have both Pavs and Miller. The combined salary for 2 goalies would be ridic. We would have to move a core piece for picks or prospects simply to make room.. making our roster weaker in the short term

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012

There are better ways of ridding the Pavelec contract i.e a buyout rather than giving up an asset. Personally, I think Jets should buyout Pavs, sign Ilya Bryzgalov on a cheap 850k 1 yr contract (a lateral move) and then grab James Reimer from the Leafs if they decide to unload him at the trade deadline (upgrade over Pavs). Then run with Reimer and Bryzgalov as a 1A-1B combo until one (likely Reimer) wins the starter job.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
There are better ways of ridding the Pavelec contract i.e a buyout rather than giving up an asset. Personally, I think Jets should buyout Pavs, sign Ilya Bryzgalov on a cheap 850k 1 yr contract (a lateral move) and then grab James Reimer from the Leafs if they decide to unload him at the trade deadline (upgrade over Pavs). Then run with Reimer and Bryzgalov as a 1A-1B combo until one (likely Reimer) wins the starter job.

Reimer would be an expensive acquisition. As much as I would love it - it would cost us big.

Bryz - wayyyy too much uncertainty. I wouldn't be opposed to signing him cheap as a backup, but certainly not as a Pav replacement

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Zadarov for Morrissey...

Halloween nightmare horror move for Garret

I remember seeing some Buffalo posts where they were pretty happy with Zadarov...saying "I hated the pick but he has been better than Risto" type thing. What have your heard garret?

To be clear I am now "thrilled" with Morrissey and think he is exactly the type of prospect we need.

Bob E

Aug 20, 2011
Winnerpeg
Miller isn't coming here, so let's move on from that.

Other Sabres that they might be interested in moving - Myers, Leino, Stafford, Erhoff, Ott and Moulson (as pending UFA's)? Hmmm. Don't think the Jets would be interested in any of them, maybe Stafford. The rest are either on ridiculous long term deals, or are UFA's. Terrible mix of contracts. They might be in fire sale mode, but who wants Myers, Leino or Erhoff's contract. No chance.

They wouldn't want to move their young pieces just yet, as they are a few years away from making a playoff run. So I can't see them being a trading partner with the Jets.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Miller isn't coming here, so let's move on from that.

Other Sabres that they might be interested in moving - Myers, Leino, Stafford, Erhoff, Ott and Moulson (as pending UFA's)? Hmmm. Don't think the Jets would be interested in any of them, maybe Stafford. The rest are either on ridiculous long term deals, or are UFA's. Terrible mix of contracts. They might be in fire sale mode, but who wants Myers, Leino or Erhoff's contract. No chance.

They wouldn't want to move their young pieces just yet, as they are a few years away from making a playoff run. So I can't see them being a trading partner with the Jets.

Erhoff's contract wouldn't be that bad though would it? The Sabres have already paid the bulk, and he has a 4 million dollar hit until he is 38. The actual dollars actually go down starting at 35 too. And I think only the Sabres are on the hook for a penalty if he retires early?

He may not be the physical guy we want on the second pair, but if the Jets could fit 4 million bucks on the roster (could at the deadline), a top 4 of Enstrom and Erhoff on the left, and Buff and Bogo on the right sounds pretty decent.

Not sure what it would take though. A 1st plus a roster player?

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/4/16/fo...-felix-ehrhoff-should-probably-win-the-norris

We do need more offense, but between Vanek and Erhoff, I would rather us be after Erhoff I think.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Ehrhoff may be a good add in that he'd definitely fill a huge roster hole for us, being top 4 LH defenceman. The average cap hit and AAV throughout the duration of the deal is only 4 million, and the actual dollars of the contract dwindles down to a million per season in the final 3 years of the deal. Also, as you mentioned there Huffer, the Sabres paid a whopping 13 million over the first two years of the contract in signing bonus. The duration of his contract is more than fair, in my opinion.

If we could get him for a decent price, sign me up.

Here is a breakdown of his contract from capgeek.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/121

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Ehrhoff may be a good add in that he'd definitely fill a huge roster hole for us, being top 4 LH defenceman. The average cap hit and AAV throughout the duration of the deal is only 4 million, and the actual dollars of the contract dwindles down to a million per season in the final 3 years of the deal. Also, as you mentioned there Huffer, the Sabres paid a whopping 13 million over the first two years of the contract in signing bonus. The duration of his contract is more than fair, in my opinion.

If we could get him for a decent price, sign me up.

Here is a breakdown of his contract from capgeek.

http://www.capgeek.com/player/121

I doubt Buffalo will trade Ehrhoff right now do to cap-recapture penalties. If they trade him and he retires early they'll be on the hook for a big cap penalty. If they keep him and he retires early the penalty won't be nearly as bad. Plus I think it'd be dumb for them to jettison all their veterans, but you never know. If he was available I could a lot of teams being quite interested in Ehrhoff.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad