Speculation: Trade with Buffalo

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Erhoff's contract wouldn't be that bad though would it? The Sabres have already paid the bulk, and he has a 4 million dollar hit until he is 38. The actual dollars actually go down starting at 35 too. And I think only the Sabres are on the hook for a penalty if he retires early?

He may not be the physical guy we want on the second pair, but if the Jets could fit 4 million bucks on the roster (could at the deadline), a top 4 of Enstrom and Erhoff on the left, and Buff and Bogo on the right sounds pretty decent.

Not sure what it would take though. A 1st plus a roster player?

http://canucksarmy.com/2013/4/16/fo...-felix-ehrhoff-should-probably-win-the-norris

We do need more offense, but between Vanek and Erhoff, I would rather us be after Erhoff I think.

I never even thought about Erhoff, but he would be a welcome addition to the team and bring plenty of playoff experience to the back end.

I can't imagine that they'd get sa first for that contract. I'd happily do Stuart and a 2nd though.

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
I doubt Buffalo will trade Ehrhoff right now do to cap-recapture penalties. If they trade him and he retires early they'll be on the hook for a big cap penalty. If they keep him and he retires early the penalty won't be nearly as bad. Plus I think it'd be dumb for them to jettison all their veterans, but you never know. If he was available I could a lot of teams being quite interested in Ehrhoff.

I'm not sure of the penalties, if anyone knows I'd love some info on that. He signed the contract long before the age of 35, so it wouldn't count towards the cap if he did retire, as far as I know?

I'd have to think if the Sabres are selling off here soon or in the near future, and I think they will, shedding a salary that they owe upwards of 20 million to would be a pretty intriguing starting point. Especially for a team headed for a rebuild.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I doubt Buffalo will trade Ehrhoff right now do to cap-recapture penalties. If they trade him and he retires early they'll be on the hook for a big cap penalty. If they keep him and he retires early the penalty won't be nearly as bad. Plus I think it'd be dumb for them to jettison all their veterans, but you never know. If he was available I could a lot of teams being quite interested in Ehrhoff.

With Buffalo rebuilding I don't see them anywhere near the cap anytime soon so I'm not sure how concerned they'd be about recapture. Plus age 38 is a realistic target for when he'd probably retire. at worst I see them on the hook for 2 years if he retires at 36.

bigplay41*

May 5, 2010
Winnipeg
I'm not sure of the penalties, if anyone knows I'd love some info on that. He signed the contract long before the age of 35, so it wouldn't count towards the cap if he did retire, as far as I know?

I'd have to think if the Sabres are selling off here soon or in the near future, and I think they will, shedding a salary that they owe upwards of 20 million to would be a pretty intriguing starting point. Especially for a team headed for a rebuild.

When did you change your username G?!

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011

During the latest rounds of CBA negotiations the league went after teams that had offered long-term deals hard. Because of all the money Ehrhoff has already made, if they traded him this year and he retired during the 2019 season at age 37 they would have a 10m dollar penalty the next season. If he retired in 2018 it would be a 5m hit for two seasons.

Buffalo can get the amount of the penalty down if they have him on their roster for the years when he's making less in salary. But right now it'd be extremely risky to trade him.

knorthern knight

Mar 18, 2011
GTA
There are better ways of ridding the Pavelec contract i.e a buyout rather than giving up an asset. Personally, I think Jets should buyout Pavs, sign Ilya Bryzgalov on a cheap 850k 1 yr contract (a lateral move) and then grab James Reimer from the Leafs if they decide to unload him at the trade deadline (upgrade over Pavs). Then run with Reimer and Bryzgalov as a 1A-1B combo until one (likely Reimer) wins the starter job.
You think Miller doesn't want to come to Winnipeg? Bryzgalov is even worse... http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog...nnipeg-because-it-has-no-parks?urn=nhl,wp3137
"You don't want to go to Winnipeg, right?" Bryzgalov said after the Coyotes lost to Detroit, Wednesday night. "Not many people live there, not many Russian people there. Plus it's cold. There's no excitement except the hockey. No park, no entertaining for the families, for the kids. It's going to be tough life for your family."

The 30-year-old Russian's knowledge of Winnipeg comes from a visit or two when he was with Cincinnati in the AHL. "I've been there for just once, maybe twice, when I play in minors. It was really cold," Bryzgalov said. "I used the tunnels between the buildings to get to the arena. Because it was minus 40-something. Real cold."

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
When did you change your username G?!

Yesterday, my friend! Also stepped down from moderating here, perhaps for a while or maybe for good, we'll see what the future holds. Going to contribute here and with Arctic Ice Hockey, a little more relaxing for me headed forward as my wife and I welcomed our baby boy last month. :)

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
Yesterday, my friend! Also stepped down from moderating here, perhaps for a while or maybe for good, we'll see what the future holds. Going to contribute here and with Arctic Ice Hockey, a little more relaxing for me headed forward as my wife and I welcomed our baby boy last month. :)

Congrats on the little one!
Hopefully we'll still see plenty of posts from you.

Also now you can troll the mods like many here ;)

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Ahhhhh......CONGRATULATIONS!!

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Congrats on the little one!
Hopefully we'll still see plenty of posts from you.

Also now you can troll the mods like many here ;)

Thanks! Oh you will, i'm not going anywhere!

As for your last comment there, no comment. :D

Ahhhhh......CONGRATULATIONS!!

Thanks! Little guy came 8 weeks early but he's been healthy and we're all home and comfortable, have been for a couple weeks now. :)

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
During the latest rounds of CBA negotiations the league went after teams that had offered long-term deals hard. Because of all the money Ehrhoff has already made, if they traded him this year and he retired during the 2019 season at age 37 they would have a 10m dollar penalty the next season. If he retired in 2018 it would be a 5m hit for two seasons.

Buffalo can get the amount of the penalty down if they have him on their roster for the years when he's making less in salary. But right now it'd be extremely risky to trade him.

Interesting stuff, thanks for all the info on this Flying High. Puts Buffalo in a pretty interesting spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad