Trade Winds Swirl in St. Louis

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
St. Louis (AP): Rumours have begun to circulate of a major deal brewing in St. Louis.

Before and during the Blues 2-1 loss to the Boston Bruins last night, both team's general managers were huddled away in what can only be called intense discussions, confirmed by multiple sources.

The Blues and Bruins have been trade partners on many occasions in the past, and it seems this deal is focused on Blues defenceman Bryan McCabe. McCabe has been rumoured to be on the way out in St. Louis for some time, as he has had several run-ins with team mates, most notably a run-in with defensive partner Zdeno Chara, in which Chara alledgedly rag-dolled McCabe in the Blues dressing room.

Since this incident, McCabe has shifted to playing with Chris Pronger while awaiting a trade.

It is no secret that Bruins General Manager Rob Krueger has coveted McCabe for quite some time and would like to add him as the Bruins make a push for a Stanley Cup run this season.

Last edited:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
I'm astonished at the defeatism evident here - I maen, a three-game losing streak (to Drew, Rob and myself, which no doubt rankles) is no reason to be giving up on the season, is it? ;)

Oh, and if your asking price for McCabe was something other than Pitkanen, we could talk...

(But seriously? You'd take McCabe over Chara in a scrap? On the ice, maybe, since Chara doesn't have as much experience fighting in his skates, but off the ice? I wouldn't bet against the big guy...)

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Hardly Defeatism, just a potential re-shuffle with the long-term in mind. McCabe doesn't get the ice time in St. Louis he could somewhere else and doesn't add much Chara and Pronger can't provide, at least this year. His rating will obviously be a bit higher next year in terms of offence, but that doesn't help the team this season. Defence is a position of strength, and there will be a quality replacement for McCabe.

And let me just say this - I fully intend for the Blues to be a better team going into the playoffs than they are right now.

And yes, losing to you three stooges in consecutive games has caused me no small amount of indigestion. Krueger likes to talk the smack, and our hfnhl head-to-head games have given him some good material over the years. Thankfully head-to-head regular season games is the only area.

And I wouldn't bet against Chara if he was fighting a Grizzly bear, Sabre tool tiger and Cave Troll - on or off the ice (I corrected the double Chara reference above).

HFNHL Red Wings

Nick, what ever moves you make please make them soon so I can guesstimate what position you're going to finish in the standings.

My challenge is that I signed up for the Nike endorsement (must win 1st round of playoffs) long before I decided on retooling. Therefore my best chance of achieving that is to try and position the team so that they play the Blues in the first round (maybe take Pronger out along the way again). ;)

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
HFNHL Red Wings said:
Nick, what ever moves you make please make them soon so I can guesstimate what position you're going to finish in the standings.

My challenge is that I signed up for the Nike endorsement (must win 1st round of playoffs) long before I decided on retooling. Therefore my best chance of achieving that is to try and position the team so that they play the Blues in the first round (maybe take Pronger out along the way again). ;)

Ouch. :amazed: That's going to leave a mark.

If it make syou feel better, Nick, I also recently contributed to Rob's ascension to the top of the Eastern Conference, much to my chagrin, and I have had little in the way of success against Drew's Red Wings, so you're not alone.

Of course, looking at my team's place in the standings, those aren't the only teams I've had trouble with... :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad