Speculation: Trade Thread Part XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vidic15*

Since Callahan and Giradi have been on this team they have not been mediocre. Getting to a conference finals, having the most points in the EC, and then getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs is not mediocre. slight tweaks need to be made, not gutting the heart and soul players from this team and starting from sratch. When you are Buffalo or other teams in last place then you gut and have a firesale.

Both Callahan and Giradi have years of their prime left, and the Rangers want to get everything they can from them, because they know what they can do. Callahan has already turned his season around, and is playing like his old self.

How many Cups have we won? You might be happy with an ECF and 2nd round exits but I am not. 1 Cup in 74 years. Worst team out of the original 6.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Since Callahan and Giradi have been on this team they have not been mediocre. Getting to a conference finals, having the most points in the EC, and then getting to the 2nd round of the playoffs is not mediocre. slight tweaks need to be made, not gutting the heart and soul players from this team and starting from sratch. When you are Buffalo or other teams in last place then you gut and have a firesale.

Both Callahan and Giradi have years of their prime left, and the Rangers want to get everything they can from them, because they know what they can do. Callahan has already turned his season around, and is playing like his old self.

How much are Girardi and Callahan getting in their next contracts?

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Assuming we let Girardi and Callahan walk, I would try to sign Stastny as a UFA and retain the rest of our roster.

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Brassard-Stepan-Zucc
Hagelin-Lindberg-JTM
Carcillo-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Stralman
Moore-McIlrath

Hank
Cam

Ideally we would either resign Cally and G or trade them and acquire a RHD and some forwards so our 3rd line isn't too rookie heavy.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
How many Cups have we won? You might be happy with an ECF and 2nd round exits but I am not. 1 Cup in 74 years. Worst team out of the original 6.

Exactly. They haven't won us anything, and paying a ridiculous premium for them while they decline isn't going to win us anything either.

I wouldn't mind keeping them, if we didn't have to break the bank to resign them. They more than likely will not be worth their salaries.

cd211

Feb 6, 2010
New York, NY
How much are Girardi and Callahan getting in their next contracts?

that seems like the biggest question mark??? no one knows and our beat writers and NHL media has barely speculated on what the negotiations entail..usually we have an idea.. with our players we're in the dark so everyone on here is speculating out their ass... i bet its a lot more reasonable then people think.. we'll have to wait and see tho!

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Heres a thought, Klein is locked into a solid deal with a very reasonable cap hit, DZ was arbitration eligible and likely would have wanted a pretty penny, this could also be a move that takes more uncertainty from the amount of money we may have needed to retain all our FA's and helps by giving sather less to deal with when it comes to resigning's.

some urgency from this organization with regards to upcoming FA's would be nice, aside from Hank whens the last time a high profile player was extended mid season, there's to much money out there and teams willing to open up the checkbook we cant be doing that anymore, Sather better have some answers by the "Olympic break deadline" at least one of the situations with Cali or G needs to be taken care of if not both.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY
Chicagos not much better.

2 Cups in the last 2 or 3 years, whatever it is, and being an annual contender for the next decade or so sounds like a much better position to be in than the Rangers. How they got to this point is a different matter. Point is they were able to go from bottom-of-the-barrel to kings of the hill through smart drafting and asset management. The Rangers sort of have half of that equation.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Like you said, we gotta agree to disagree on some stuff, but I think you've got some solid points here. I'd be ecstatic if Miller and Kreider could elevate each other's games and make a line that's hard to play against. Thanks for taking the time to reply in detail. Much appreciated.

Thank you.
I don't say I'm getting it all right all the time.
I am trying to raise points worth discussing.
I trust I get more correct than incorrect.

I appreciate you and all who come to the table with an open mind willing to help me make reviews helpful to the Ranger cause.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Assuming we let Girardi and Callahan walk, I would try to sign Stastny as a UFA and retain the rest of our roster.

Kreider-Stastny-Nash
Brassard-Stepan-Zucc
Hagelin-Lindberg-JTM
Carcillo-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Klein
Staal-Stralman
Moore-McIlrath

Hank
Cam

Ideally we would either resign Cally and G or trade them and acquire a RHD and some forwards so our 3rd line isn't too rookie heavy.

Even after signing Stastny to say a 7X7 deal, this team will still have tons of cap space if they buy out Richards and don't bring Callahan or Girardi back.

Stastny essentially replaces Richards on the roster and money wise. That's a wash. Even if you give Brassard a modest raise to 4 million, that's only 350K more. Zucc gets say 3 mill per for 3 years, done, easy. Bring Girardi back. 5 years, 5.5 million per, done. This team still has over 10 million in cap space with Callahan gone. You're fooling yourself if you don't think Sather's not using it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Heres a thought, Klein is locked into a solid deal with a very reasonable cap hit, DZ was arbitration eligible and likely would have wanted a pretty penny, this could also be a move that takes more uncertainty from the amount of money we may have needed to retain all our FA's and helps by giving sather less to deal with when it comes to resigning's.

some urgency from this organization with regards to upcoming FA's would be nice, aside from Hank whens the last time a high profile player was extended mid season, there's to much money out there and teams willing to open up the checkbook we cant be doing that anymore, Sather better have some answers by the "Olympic break deadline" at least one of the situations with Cali or G needs to be taken care of if not both.

Rangers would have had to qualify DZ at $2.9 mil per this summer. Absolutely no reason why they would want to go higher when he's regressed and he's clearly not a favorite of the coaching staff but also absolutely no reason why DZ's agent would accept the lowest cap amount. This looked to me like an arbitration settlement waiting to happen--and one the Rangers not might have liked at all. DZ got the last contract on the promise he was going to produce offense and at a higher rate than in the past. In the meantime his ice time has gone down and his position as the leader of the Rangers offense from their D has been taken over by McDonagh.

It would have seemed over the summer that DZ should have been a major beneficiary of the coaching change--Torts to AV. For whatever reason that just did not happen--the exact opposite instead.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
Rangers would have had to qualify DZ at $2.9 mil per this summer. Absolutely no reason why they would want to go higher when he's regressed and he's clearly not a favorite of the coaching staff but also absolutely no reason why DZ's agent would accept the lowest cap amount. This looked to me like an arbitration settlement waiting to happen--and one the Rangers not might have liked at all. DZ got the last contract on the promise he was going to produce offense and at a higher rate than in the past. In the meantime his ice time has gone down and his position as the leader of the Rangers offense from their D has been taken over by McDonagh.

It would have seemed over the summer that DZ should have been a major beneficiary of the coaching change--Torts to AV. For whatever reason that just did not happen--the exact opposite instead.
exactly what i was getting at, hopefully one less thing on sathers plate clears his old mind

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
The Rangers sort of have half of that equation.

That's what is so frustrating. They're not close to being a contender per se, but they are close to being able to make the right moves going forward that could be the difference between another decade of mediocrity, or setting themselves up in the future to be potential perennial contenders.

Miller Time NYR

Oct 5, 2010
Long Beach
That's what is so frustrating. They're not close to being a contender per se, but they are close to being able to make the right moves going forward that could be the difference between another decade of mediocrity, or setting themselves up in the future to be potential perennial contenders.
it doesnt help that Dolans favorite team doesnt look like it will be creating very much playoff revenue this year.... as long as Dolan is in Sathers ear he wont be setting this team up for immediate failure/future success

best thing sather could do is dismantle this team, or at least trade cali and girardi and whoever else and set this team up for the future and ride off into the sunset to retirement

Last edited:

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
Even after signing Stastny to say a 7X7 deal, this team will still have tons of cap space if they buy out Richards and don't bring Callahan or Girardi back.

Stastny essentially replaces Richards on the roster and money wise. That's a wash. Even if you give Brassard a modest raise to 4 million, that's only 350K more. Zucc gets say 3 mill per for 3 years, done, easy. Bring Girardi back. 5 years, 5.5 million per, done. This team still has over 10 million in cap space with Callahan gone. You're fooling yourself if you don't think Sather's not using it.

I didn't realize how much space we had. I would still target Stastny and try to resign Cally and G to no more than 5 years 5.5 million. If they want more, try to get a decent return. I know Sather is like a drunken sailor with cap space but I really wish for once he would try not spending up to the cap.

Whoot Whoot

Biased Rangers Fan
Feb 28, 2007
Los Angeles
Girardi is a beast - sign the man - don't fix what aint broke. Girardi and McD for life.

One of the few things that always works on this team - a few years ago it Was Girardi and Staal and now McD.

Girardi>Cally

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
With Klein in the mix now, I think Stralman's future in NY is in doubt. Allen is having a good AHL season and looks to be about NHL ready, McIlrath is close too. I wouldn't mind playing one of them on the bottom pair RD next year.

Like it's been said, I like that Stralman or Girardi can't hold us hostage for not having another RD anymore.

This is a good point.

Had we traded Girardi with Strålman still unsigned, we would have been in a horrible spot negotiating a contract with him. Now we at least has some depth there.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
If they can't get Girardi signed or Klein is a Strahlman replacement, then following the Olympics it's time to work on a deal with the Ducks and get Vatanen here. He's in the minors. Ducks have 7-8 healthy DMen and Sbisa is back. Obviously the Ducks like him but if they want to win now, he can be acquired. That'll be your RHD PP guy for the next decade.

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Buying out Richards, and then signing Stastny accomplishes what exactly?

Nothing. Stastny has underachieved the last few yrs. this
Yr he's better and people want to spend a ton

I may look at cammeleri as a ufa if he's cheaper but reality is if brassard stays he should be 2nd line c w the money he's making .

Miller can c a 3rd line . Maybe bring back a guy like Moore on the cheap . They need to let boyle go at his cost. AV is using him properly as a 4th line face off guy. Lindberg likely needs another ur in ct

Stepan is the number 1 c lets just admit to that

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
I didn't realize how much space we had. I would still target Stastny and try to resign Cally and G to no more than 5 years 5.5 million. If they want more, try to get a decent return. I know Sather is like a drunken sailor with cap space but I really wish for once he would try not spending up to the cap.

Go to cap geek. Nyr is 20 th on the list in payroll . Everyone's tight. He has enough to sign girardi and Cally and will . Richards is getting bought out because of term not performance. He's been a good trooper

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
The Rangers took on term once since the 2005 CBA until recently. Sandis Ozolinsh in 2006.. Under Sather/Gorton,the Rangers took on term in the Nash deal. The money was matched up. Its up to Columbus to extend the three players they got. Anisimov was re-signed for three more years. Dubinsky has another year remaining. Erixon is waiver eligible starting next season. Nash had six years remaining.
In the Gaborik deal,he had one more year remaining at $7.5M. The three players combined were less than $7.5M and the Rangers can commit to them longer than this season. Brassard is group II this summer. Moore is a group II. Dorsett is signed for next season. DZ is a group II this summer and is two years away from group III. Klein is signed for four more years.

But Sather also acknowledged the trade makes financial sense and gives the team some insurance in case Dan Girardi cannot be re-signed. Klein, who is flying to New York tonight and will be in the lineup Thursday against the Blues paired with John Moore, who can move back to the left side on the third pair, is in the first season of a five-year, $14.5 million deal that counts $2.9 million annually against the salary cap.

Del Zotto was an impending restricted free agent with arbitration rights who counts $2.55 million against this season’s cap.

“I suppose we did look at it from every angle possible,” Sather said. “This is not just a deal that happened this morning, we’ve been in conversations for quite a while. There’s always the possibility of uncertainty in the future. Having a player of his caliber under contract until he’s 34 makes sense to us, especially the way the market is going.

http://blogs.northjersey.com/blogs/rangerrants/sather_av_stress_need_for_right-handed_d-man/

The Rangers would seem to prefer trading for a good contract than maybe re-signing one of their guys for more money or another free agent.

It will probably cost more than $2.9M cap to re-sign Stralman. It will cost more with the $71M cap.

It should a very interesting 6 weeks until the trading deadline. Olympic break deadline is two weeks from tomorrow.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Go to cap geek. Nyr is 20 th on the list in payroll . Everyone's tight. He has enough to sign girardi and Cally and will . Richards is getting bought out because of term not performance. He's been a good trooper

Then the Rangers will have a significant amount of space tied up in Lundqvist,McDonagh,Girardi,Nash and Callahan with many other players to re-sign. The same needs will still exist.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Buying out Richards, and then signing Stastny accomplishes what exactly?

Stastny is younger and puts up as many points as Richards would at this stage in his career. Better defensively too. Him and Stepan gives us a very good 1-2 punch up the middle.

Richards' contract is going to be absolutely horrible in 2-3 seasons. Even with the cap going up, does anyone want to pay Richards 6.67 million a year to play on the 3rd line and put up 40 -45 points?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad