Proposal: Trade Rumours & Proposals Thread: Connor's back, do we make a move?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

Curious how Oilers fans feel about this one.

Pouliot. If the team were offered a 5th-7th round pick for him, and we don't retain, would you let him go for more cap space this summer? Or would you rather keep him?

We had a bit of a discussion about him after the last Panthers game. He would be amazing here. His game ages.

But he likely doesn't leave Florida.

I'd rather keep him. He plays well with McDavid and alright with Eberle/RNH.

We're unlikely to find a 20-goal-ish winger on the UFA market for less.

The question is what big bodied 25 goal, 45 point guy, is going to be available for less than Pouliot, while still in his prime years? And he's got to have chemistry with guys on our team.

There's no way I move Pouliot. He was one of MacT's good moves

looks like Loui Eriksson won't be re signing with boston.

He'd be a great fixture in our top 6 in place of a guy like Purcell, Eberle, or Yak.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I can see Pouilot moved, but you aren't trading him for a 5th or 7th. Makes zero sense.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I could see it making sense if we were in on a couple big signings, where his role would be replaced by someone better, and we didn't want any cap coming back

How often does that happen in Edmonton though really? The only way I see it is if we want Lucic, but Lucic will probably cost $3 mill more/season.

oilz89*

I could see it making sense if we were in on a couple big signings, where his role would be replaced by someone better, and we didn't want any cap coming back

Thats like giving away a player for nothing... You're saying Pouliot has no value? That is a complete joke :laugh: .

Speaking of which, do you guys think bringing Vatanen over here as a mistake?

oilz89*

How often does that happen in Edmonton though really? The only way I see it is if we want Lucic, but Lucic will probably cost $3 mill more/season.

Lucic is not leaving LA. Kings will trade a Dman away to open up cap space

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

If we are moving Pouilot you wait.

No point in trading him until you have a replacement lined up. Worse case scenario you waive him. Rather lose him for nothing if we have a replacement then just getting a 5th for him and no replacement.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I actually think Pouliot might get moved at the deadline this year, but not for that kind of return. He's got some value around the league and his contract isn't that bad.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thats like giving away a player for nothing... You're saying Pouliot has no value? That is a complete joke :laugh: .

Speaking of which, do you guys think bringing Vatanen over here as a mistake?

I don't think a team like the Ducks would do anything to help us, and if they think Vatanen will want too much money, **** 'em. Just offersheet him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I actually think Pouliot might get moved at the deadline this year, but not for that kind of return. He's got some value around the league and his contract isn't that bad.

The problem is while Pouliot is inconsistent, moving him for picks/prospects just creates another hole to fill. I'm fine with him for the rest of the year. Run Pouliot/McDavid/Yak and see what Poo and Yak are worth in the summer.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
No one is touching pouliots contract unless we are getting back an equally grisly contract.

We are going to have a tough time moving people out at the deadline, perhaps Purcell but I get the feeling the oilers don't mind him at all and would make an offer to him after the year.

A totally logical guy to be dealt would of course be Schultz but in our usual brilliant way of planning things we have almost no right handers on the blue line.

Perhaps Lander to a team looking for a 4th line face off guy. I think pretty well all our moves will be off season/draft/fa.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
Since coming here, his stats are 29 goals, and 27 assists in 99 games. If you want to find an equivalent replacement, that's a rate of 24-22-46 that you'd need

Ha!

giphy.gif

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Trading Pouliot for a 5th for the cap space just screams "grass is greener" His contract is a slight overpayment but its a necessary one for what he brings. If you are just looking to bring in another forward such as Backes/Ladd/Eriksson etc, you are going to overpay by a good amount more and not get that much better production

Also, Poo is a pretty good fit in our top 6 and brings alot of what we need. His forechecking ability in TMs dump and chase system is very important. he can get pucks back and very important for possession

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I can see Pouilot moved, but you aren't trading him for a 5th or 7th. Makes zero sense.

to free up money it does

Do not say we have player X coming off the books..news flash--Player X leaves--we need to get Player Y and PLayer Y may cost as much as Player X

It looks like Leon D will hit all his bonuses, McJesus will come back hungry and toss in Klefbom and maybe Reinhart--we could have up to 1mill overage if not more

sorry

there is no way in hell this team should be over the cap

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Pouliot's a complimentary player. When the go to guys on his line aren't going, he's not going to get much done.

When you ask him to play center, a position he hasn't played since junior, he's going to suck.

He's a 2nd/3rd line LWer in this league. He's played that role here, and he played that role on a SCF team.

There are much bigger things to be concerned about than the players like Pouliot. Mainly the lack of an NHL caliber group of d-men.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
to free up money it does

Do not say we have player X coming off the books..news flash--Player X leaves--we need to get Player Y and PLayer Y may cost as much as Player X

It looks like Leon D will hit all his bonuses, McJesus will come back hungry and toss in Klefbom and maybe Reinhart--we could have up to 1mill overage if not more

sorry

The exact same logic applies to Pouliot. You move his salary, you need to replace him with someone new. ~4 million is the going rate for a player that will replicate what we lose by trading Pouliot.

So what's the point exactly?

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
to free up money it does

sorry

Pouilot is still a productive and useful guy tho. He is least of worries

Ference will be off the books, im guessing he gets the Pronger treatment next year. Nikitin is off books, Purcell is gone or resigned for cheap

Thats 11.25 off the books next year. Add to that Fayne would probaly be the one going if we brought in 1 or 2 extra D and Gryba/Reinhart/Davidson could replace him, and Schultz is proably not resigned for 3.9

So around ~14 mil to play around with (Drops to 9 with Talbot and Klefbom re ups). Combine that with current 8 mil cap space and ~2 mil cap increase and we have a total of ~ 20 mil to resign LD/Nurse/McDavid and get a top pairing D and extra top 4 D (if RNH/Ebs is dealt for a D then its probaly a wash cap wise)

We arent really in cap difficulty. Although signing Ladd or Backes for 7 mil wouldnt help

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Pouilot is still a productive and useful guy tho. He is least of worries

Ference will be off the books, im guessing he gets the Pronger treatment next year. Nikitin is off books, Purcell is gone or resigned for cheap

Thats 11.25 off the books next year. Add to that Fayne would probaly be the one going if we brought in 1 or 2 extra D and Gryba/Reinhart/Davidson could replace him, and Schultz is proably not resigned for 3.9

So around ~14 mil to play around with (Drops to 9 with Talbot and Klefbom re ups). Combine that with current 8 mil cap space and ~2 mil cap increase and we have a total of ~ 20 mil to resign LD/Nurse/McDavid and get a top pairing D and extra top 4 D (if RNH/Ebs is dealt for a D then its probaly a wash cap wise)

We arent really in cap difficulty. Although signing Ladd or Backes for 7 mil wouldnt help

7 mil for a forward doesn't seem like smart management to me.
Unless RNH or Eberle do get us that perfect fit defender.
I'd take Ladd over Eberle in a second.
Would a Hamonic type make it easier to sign UFAs?
I am sure Talbot is helping a smidge.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
to free up money it does

sorry

In our case it does apply though. Guys like Nikitin and Scrivens will come off the books, and not need to be replaced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad