Speculation: Trade Rumors/Speculation Thread Part VI: Do Anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
Really surprised so many people around here consider Stepan 'moveable'

I vehemently disagree. He's the cog keeping pieces going. His two-way game is out of this world this season. Kreider and Nash wouldn't look as good as they have without Stepan in the middle.

Don't think the Rangers brass makes any moves until DD is ready to go again. I'd expect to see Pouliot waived that day.

Still think Miller is better suited in Hartford.

Hope Staal is ready to return on Tuesday (wishful) to get DZ, Falk, Moore out of the lineup (in that order).

Hope DZ is dealt for a forward soon.

Wouldn't mind getting McIlrath up here for Tuesday's and Thursday's game. No travel. Give him the cup of coffee in the NHL and see where he's at so far this season. Pack don't play until Friday.

Agree 100% on McIlrath. Just to infuse some energy and maybe deter people from running over Lundqvist as they did three times last night.

Disagree on Stepan. He is absolutely one of the guys AV refers to when speaking of his best players needing to be better. I think Zucc and Kreider have carried him offensively at times.
He has 5 goals (3 in one game). We know he is a solid two way player but he has to produce more. I'm not sure yet if he is more than a 50 point player... A good solid two way 2nd line center. I think the Rangers need and expect him to be more than that.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
What about Burmistrov? The Rangers need to add another center. Maybe he would cost less and they could bring him over next season?

I'd rather have Grabovski, but by all accounts Washington really wants to resign him and he seems to like it there. His defensive game is very underrated; offensively he would instantly be the best C on the team and he can be had for only $$ if he hits UFA

This team also desperately needs defensemen that can move the puck up the ice. NONE of our guys can do that on a consistent basis. This team seriously needs to trade Girardi and MDZ for guys of that caliber; let McDonagh/Staal/Stralman shut down the oppositions top lines

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I got ripped for calling Callahan a bad captain

Don't happen to agree with you altogether but why take it so personal?

The only players that can't be moved are

Mcdonagh
Lundqvist
Richards
Kreider
Nash

Everyone else is on the block, IMO

I agree with RB Stepan goes back on the list. He's too young--one mediocre season is not enough. You can't trade everybody you're mad at. If he starts stringing subpar seasons together then you take him off the list.

BBKers

Jan 9, 2006
Bialystok, Poland
Shake it up

• Berglund, Stewart, Jake Allen for Brassard, Boyle, Pyatt (for salaries sake), Hrivik/Fast and a 2nd in 2014
  • Tootoo for Poopoo
  • Tatar for Stralman & a 2nd in 2015
  • Demote Miller
  • Promote Big Mac

KILL

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
This discussion on McIlrath indicates a major flaw in the Rangers organization and points out again why there needs to be change at the top.

McIlrath is just beginning to develop at the pro level and now the Rangers potentially rush him because of the many holes in New York's line up.

Thirteen years at the helm for Sather. Typical Rangers.

Good luck kid, you will need it.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
This discussion on McIlrath indicates a major flaw in the Rangers organization and points out again why there needs to be change at the top.

McIlrath is just beginning to develop at the pro level and now the Rangers potentially rush him because of the many holes in New York's line up.

Thirteen years at the helm for Sather. Typical Rangers.

Good luck kid, you will need it.

There's a difference between rushing, and giving the kid a cup of coffee. I'm saying call him up, give him protected third pairing minutes for two games, and ship him back to Hartford for the weekend games.

Pack are off from now until Friday.

Let's see what's up.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
There needs to be a message sent. There need to be changes. The attitude and lack of passion is sickening...

I agree. There needs to be more accountability. Short of a trade, maybe they need to put Stepan, Callahan, Richards (Insert any veteran) in the Press Box for a game or two to send a Louder message.

If we are talking about a trade, I think the best option is to get McIlrath up here, see if he can handle things at this level and either pull the trigger on something for MDZ or deal Girardi. That statment is assuming Staal is not out long term.
Girardi is 50/50 coming back next year anyway. It would be nice to get something and also change the complexion of the team a little.

Sitting Poulito, Miller, or either of the Moores is not enough to change anything.

All that said we have done a total 180 on the style of play and we are 1/3 into the season at .500 after starting 3-7. I have to trust AV's track record a little bit longer despite sopme of these lackluster efforts lately.

RangersHank*

Don't happen to agree with you altogether but why take it so personal?

I agree with RB Stepan goes back on the list. He's too young--one mediocre season is not enough. You can't trade everybody you're mad at. If he starts stringing subpar seasons together then you take him off the list.

I didnt take it personal but people said i was wrong and that i didnt know what i was talking about, now everyone is saying it

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I fail to see how signing Grabovski after we buyout Richards is grasping at straws. Are you allergic to talent?

I'm allergic to the way this team is run, and what you just advocated is more of the same.

1. Spend money.
2. Bury mistake.
3. Spend money elsewhere.
4. ??
5. Profit.

Grabovski is just another average 2nd line talent that is going to cash-in on a big season in free agency. He's never topped 60 points in his career. He earned a big money deal with the Leafs and was bought out shortly there-after. How many big-money-busts does this team have to go through before people start to realize you can't build a team by throwing money around on July 1st??? :shakehead

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
If we are going to let Callahan, Girardi, and Richards go all in the same year, I would just as soon let a combination of kids and remaining vets fill out the roster the following season and see who can develop. We don't need to spend to the cap every year, unless the right fit falls into our hands.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
I'm allergic to the way this team is run, and what you just advocated is more of the same.

1. Spend money.
2. Bury mistake.
3. Spend money elsewhere.
4. ??
5. Profit.

Grabovski is just another average 2nd line talent that is going to cash-in on a big season in free agency. He's never topped 60 points in his career. He earned a big money deal with the Leafs and was bought out shortly there-after. How many big-money-busts does this team have to go through before people start to realize you can't build a team by throwing money around on July 1st??? :shakehead

I completely disagree that he's an average 2nd line talent. He has 25 points in 30 games. Out of those 25 points only 6 are power play points; his 5 on 5 play is better than any C we currently have and it's not really close. All this while averaging around 15 min/game and centering Chimera and Ward. If you put him with Nash Kreider and gave him top PP minutes I don't see how he doesn't put up at least 65 points, easy.

I also understand your sentiment but this isn't Brad Richards. I'm not advocating giving him a 7 year deal; if he wants more then 4 years I say no way. If something like 3 years/$4.5mil per gets it done it's a no brainer IMO

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Rundblad is a guy I want us to seriously target. Don't think PHX is to keen on moving him, though.

Honestly, he'd be the 3rd RHD I'd target on Phoenix. Stone is going to be a really solid player, and Murphy looks like he could be a great player as well. Rundblad, for all of his alleged offensive gifts, makes very slow decisions with the puck. I realize he doesn't get favorable minutes, and doesn't see a ton of time on the PP in the NHL, but a lot of that is his own doing. He's a liability in his own end. Tippett is a defensive oriented coach. If you can't play D, he's not going to use you. AV is the same way. He's not going to spoon feed Rundblad offensive minutes if he can't skate a top-4 shift at even strength.

Cant Fix Stupid

Jan 28, 2013
Hanzal and a 6th for Hags and Dom Moore would represent an upgrade for their wing and a C and give us a young legit 3C with a FO% above everybody but Boyle. Points are a wash, salaries are close and gives 2 more years of a 3C than Hags.

That sets up a big one MDZ, Brassard and JT Miller to OTT for Spezza. Moves Step back to 2C where his 2 way play is more valuable and gives us a 1C who can score and win faceoffs and only ties us up for the 2014-15 season. OTT gets back a 2C pushing Turris to 1C, a puck moving dman, arguably our best prospect in the pipe and probably most important to them cap flexibility and ability to do other moves. Move up Allen or McIlrath for MDZ.

Amnesty Richards at the end of the season. Still not crazy about the 4th line but firepower improves and opens up spots for kids to play in the future.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Honestly, he'd be the 3rd RHD I'd target on Phoenix. Stone is going to be a really solid player, and Murphy looks like he could be a great player as well. Rundblad, for all of his alleged offensive gifts, makes very slow decisions with the puck. I realize he doesn't get favorable minutes, and doesn't see a ton of time on the PP in the NHL, but a lot of that is his own doing. He's a liability in his own end. Tippett is a defensive oriented coach. If you can't play D, he's not going to use you. AV is the same way. He's not going to spoon feed Rundblad offensive minutes if he can't skate a top-4 shift at even strength.

Fair. I don't watch many PHX games. I know Rundblad beasted the preseason, and has had trouble getting minutes since - which I suppose is for the reasons you posted. He's still a good offensive-minded RHD. And young. It's exactly what the Rangers need.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I completely disagree that he's an average 2nd line talent. He has 25 points in 30 games. Out of those 25 points only 6 are power play points; his 5 on 5 play is better than any C we currently have and it's not really close. All this while averaging around 15 min/game and centering Chimera and Ward. If you put him with Nash Kreider and gave him top PP minutes I don't see how he doesn't put up at least 65 points, easy.

He's been an average 2nd line talent for his entire career. He'll be 30 in January. The odds of this being his breakout year offensively are very, very slim. Do you want to gamble on that with $5M+ of cap space for the next 4+ years? I sure as hell don't.

I also understand your sentiment but this isn't Brad Richards. I'm not advocating giving him a 7 year deal; if he wants more then 4 years I say no way. If something like 3 years/$4.5mil per gets it done it's a no brainer IMO

And Brad Richards wasn't Scott Gomez, and Scott Gomez wasn't Bobby Holik. It's all the same. He's not going to take a short-term deal. He's going to want to get paid, and paid for at least 5 years, IMO. Especially if he continues on the pace he's on now.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Hanzal and a 6th for Hags and Dom Moore would represent an upgrade for their wing and a C and give us a young legit 3C with a FO% above everybody but Boyle. Points are a wash, salaries are close and gives 2 more years of a 3C than Hags.

That sets up a big one MDZ, Brassard and JT Miller to OTT for Spezza. Moves Step back to 2C where his 2 way play is more valuable and gives us a 1C who can score and win faceoffs and only ties us up for the 2014-15 season. OTT gets back a 2C pushing Turris to 1C, a puck moving dman, arguably our best prospect in the pipe and probably most important to them cap flexibility and ability to do other moves. Move up Allen or McIlrath for MDZ.

Amnesty Richards at the end of the season. Still not crazy about the 4th line but firepower improves and opens up spots for kids to play in the future.

Wouldn't do either as the Rangers. Hagelin is an important player for this team. Sure, he's not an offensive superstar, but you need players like him as much as you need guys like Hanzal. Sacrificing one for the other is pointless, especially when Lindberg should be able to fill that 3C role sooner rather than later.

Spezza's body is giving up on him. His back is about ready to implode. There's a reason Sens fans want to get rid of him, and it's not because they're being generous.

Josh3217

May 30, 2013

I agree. Too bad it won't happen.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
He's been an average 2nd line talent for his entire career. He'll be 30 in January. The odds of this being his breakout year offensively are very, very slim. Do you want to gamble on that with $5M+ of cap space for the next 4+ years? I sure as hell don't.

And Brad Richards wasn't Scott Gomez, and Scott Gomez wasn't Bobby Holik. It's all the same. He's not going to take a short-term deal. He's going to want to get paid, and paid for at least 5 years, IMO. Especially if he continues on the pace he's on now.

I find it hard to believe a guy that just got bought out of a BIG contract from the Leafs and subsequently is getting paid by Washington is going to command huge money/term. For Grabo, I would think playing time/a good fit would be more important than the $$ at the end of the day considering money isn't an issue for him.

What would you rather do to replace Richards, realistically? Trade assets for someone else? Beggars can't be choosers. We can't draft middle of the pack, not sign free agents and expect to be competitive. It's either one or the other; draft high OR sign UFAs.

You're blowing the risk out of proportion. Teams overpay for UFAs because they can be had for only money; that's the trade off. If we gave Grabovski $5M per for 3 years with the cap going up we would be more than fine and lose no assets in the process. We would be SAVING $$ on the cap if we're signing him to replace Richards.If he sucks, trade him at the deadline/draft for whatever. There's very little risk here. It's a no brainer to me; save money against the cap and upgrade C in one fell swoop

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I find it hard to believe a guy that just got bought out of a BIG contract from the Leafs and subsequently is getting paid by Washington is going to command huge money/term. For Grabo, I would think playing time/a good fit would be more important than the $$ at the end of the day considering money isn't an issue for him.

What would you rather do to replace Richards, realistically? Trade assets for someone else? Beggars can't be choosers. We can't draft middle of the pack, not sign free agents and expect to be competitive. It's either one or the other; draft high OR sign UFAs.

You're blowing the risk out of proportion. Teams overpay for UFAs because they can be had for only money; that's the trade off. If we gave Grabovski $5M per for 3 years with the cap going up we would be more than fine and lose no assets in the process. We would be SAVING $$ on the cap if we're signing him to replace Richards.If he sucks, trade him at the deadline/draft for whatever. There's very little risk here. It's a no brainer to me; save money against the cap and upgrade C in one fell swoop

Settling for Grabovski would be a mistake. He is not a smart player.

He will get paid because that is his market value. Would you turn down money? I wouldn't.

I would rather try and develop a young player they acquire via trade then to keep signing these 2nd liners.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Here is a projected NYR lineup next year with no Callahan, Girardi, or Richards

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Brassard-Zuccarello
Fast-Miller-Kristo
Beach-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Stralman
Staal-McIlrath
Del Zotto-Moore

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Settling for Grabovski would be a mistake. He is not a smart player.

He will get paid because that is his market value. Would you turn down money? I wouldn't.

I would rather try and develop a young player they acquire via trade then to keep signing these 2nd liners.

It's funny how selective this board is sometimes. Derek Stepan is apparently a number 1 Center with a max output of 51 points, yet Grabovski who has equaled or exceeded that total twice in less games played/time on ice is "an average 2nd line talent."

You'd rather give up assets for a young player that may or may not pan out as opposed to giving up nothing for a known commodity that is currently playing very well with limited ice time? Consider me very confused

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
It's funny how selective this board is sometimes. Derek Stepan is apparently a number 1 Center with a max output of 51 points, yet Grabovski who has equaled or exceeded that total twice in less games played/time on ice is "an average 2nd line talent."

You'd rather give up assets for a young player that may or may not pan out as opposed to giving up nothing for a known commodity that is currently playing very well with limited ice time? Consider me very confused

Grabovski is not good defensively. If he was, he would be a 1b. He is not.

Grabovksi is 30. Stepan is 23. Your just picking the stats that support your argument.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Here is a projected NYR lineup next year with no Callahan, Girardi, or Richards

Kreider-Stepan-Nash
Hagelin-Brassard-Zuccarello
Fast-Miller-Kristo
Beach-Boyle-Dorsett

McDonagh-Stralman
Staal-McIlrath
Del Zotto-Moore

I'd still trade Brassard and Del Zotto and look for an upgrade at #2C. Sign a vet 3rd pairing RD and roll with that. Hrivik should also push for a spot.

Boyle should be gone as well. He creates nothing.

On a sidenote, I'd love for the Rangers to sign Reaves or Bollig.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad