Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013

It probably is more common than we realize for extensions. I'd guess it never gets reported because it is never relevant, since players don't just get involved in trade rumours shortly after signing those kind of deals.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Honestly if you remember back then what Spezza was doing compared to what Hoffman is doing it's extremely different.

Hoffman will lose the puck but not because he's trying to make impossible plays. Spezza would make no look drop passes right to the other team who'd go on the counter attack and Spezza would be gliding back. He got better defensively in the later stages of his career in Ottawa, but he always had this bad habit of trying to make impossible plays - don't get me wrong he made the highlight reel everytime it worked, but it didn't more often than not especially when he was away from Alfie and Heater.

Hoffman is backchecking like a madman. Often the first guy back. The other day Karlsson turned it over at the blueline in the Ozone and Hoff was circling around the net and was the first one back. We got scored on on that play but still shows he's trying and doing the wor.k.
Unfortunately he was making those drop passes to AHLers. No player is perfect but his skill definitely outweighed his flaws. Funny thing is spezza's worst seasons as a Senator statistically is still better than our best forwards production now.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Unfortunately he was making those drop passes to AHLers. No player is perfect but his skill definitely outweighed his flaws. Funny thing is spezza's worst seasons as a Senator statistically is still better than our best forwards production now.

Probably wouldn't want Spezza now but it is a shame how it turned out timing wise. Apart from one playoff game with Stone, he just missed Hoffman, and Stone by a season, Macarthur also still being healthy during the hamburglar run. Maybe he could have gotten Ryan going who was probably the only player who wasn't playing the best (or near best to that point) hockey of their careers in that run to the post-season. Ah well, it's in the past.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

You were comparing Spezza to Hoffman. I never said that Spezza was not better than our forwards today in any way shape or form and also never said that his flaws outweighed his skill/what he brought to the team.

What I was commenting on is where you asked why Hoffman isn't criticized as much as Spezza and I provided my opinion which you seem to agree on. Making drop passes to AHLers is ... Not very smart and won't get you praise from the fans.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
Probably wouldn't want Spezza now but it is a shame how it turned out timing wise. Apart from one playoff game with Stone, he just missed Hoffman, and Stone by a season, Macarthur also still being healthy during the hamburglar run. Maybe he could have gotten Ryan going who was probably the only player who wasn't playing the best (or near best to that point) hockey of their careers in that run to the post-season. Ah well, it's in the past.

Remember the Mac-Turris-Ryan line was the hotness at that point too. Imagine a second line of Hoffman-Spezza-Stone..... crazy.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You were comparing Spezza to Hoffman. I never said that Spezza was not better than our forwards today in any way shape or form and also never said that his flaws outweighed his skill/what he brought to the team.

What I was commenting on is where you asked why Hoffman isn't criticized as much as Spezza and I provided my opinion which you seem to agree on. Making drop passes to AHLers is ... Not very smart and won't get you praise from the fans.
Fair enough but if phantom drop passes were his biggest flaw I would take it.

I still think we need to add a center over a winger.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
What about RNH? Having a nice bounce back season, and I think he would fit in well here. Good offensively and good defensively. Seems like a Boucher player. Maybe put Duchene on the wing?

Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Hoffman-RNH-Duchene
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Burrows-Thompson-Pyatt

Contender's forward core. Maybe trade Smith and small + for him (though he would be missed) and have Dzingel-Pageau-White as 3rd line. Chia loves players like him.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What about RNH? Having a nice bounce back season, and I think he would fit in well here. Good offensively and good defensively. Seems like a Boucher player. Maybe put Duchene on the wing?

Ryan-Brassard-Stone
Hoffman-RNH-Duchene
Smith-Pageau-Dzingel
Burrows-Thompson-Pyatt

Contender's forward core. Maybe trade Smith and small + for him (though he would be missed) and have Dzingel-Pageau-White as 3rd line. Chia loves players like him.

Why does Edmonton move RNH for Smith and a small +? How are we fitting 6 mil for RNH into our salary structure?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Why does Edmonton move RNH for Smith and a small +? How are we fitting 6 mil for RNH into our salary structure?

These are all intriguing questions.

I think Smith would be overrated by Chia like I said in my post, other than that gg.

otown

Sep 4, 2009
RNH is weak centre we don't need. We need a big power forward in the top 6
Couldn't agree more with this. Over priced centre, one hit away from the IR. Has already had his share of injuries and I suspect his long term career may be impacted as a result.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It probably is more common than we realize for extensions. I'd guess it never gets reported because it is never relevant, since players don't just get involved in trade rumours shortly after signing those kind of deals.

Seems odd; I never realized you could retro-actively change previous deals in this way. Seems unnecessary in the vast majority of cases, but I guess players don't want to get caught in a sign and trade situation,

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
While I agree that a power forward would be best, there are non available atm and we would need someone who has a minimum of footspeed ala Simmonds, already being relatively slow on the wings with Stone and Ryan.

I do find it too bad that some people judge and stereotype players like RNH because of their size. The Nuge isn't Bobby Hull in strength but he's solid on his skates and has a low center of gravity. Isn't afraid of the corners either. He's unlike Turris in that regard. A playmaker would also be nice, considering the makeup of the team.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Uh Mark Stone is tied for third in the NHL in goals right now. So no that is absoutely not true. Spezza made no look drop passes to no one, I am not going to pretend those plays did not exist while I celebrate his amazing offensive plays too. You get one with the other thats Spezza. Supremely naturally talented not much in between the ears when he isnt rellying on his skill.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

The sens need players that can cycle the puck and control zone time in the offensive end. I dont think there is a specific size or makeup of this type of player small guys do it big guys do it they just need players that will be offensive contributers while maintaining posession in the offensive zone.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Uh Mark Stone is tied for third in the NHL in goals right now. So no that is absoutely not true. Spezza made no look drop passes to no one, I am not going to pretend those plays did not exist while I celebrate his amazing offensive plays too. You get one with the other thats Spezza. Supremely naturally talented not much in between the ears when he isnt rellying on his skill.
Lmao. If you're saying he relied on his skill without much smarts (and some say without much effort) you're acknowledging he's one of the most talented players to ever play the game. To do what he did, without smarts and without effort (you didn't say no effort, some did) is so unbelievably amazing.
Edit: I think all elite playmakers have upper level IQ. Just their ability to read the game. Know where their teammates are gonna be. Know where the defense is gonna be. And spezza was the best at it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brethers

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
But then you mention evander Kane and people say he will destroy the locker room inside out. Like all of a sudden pageau and ceci and the rest of the team (naturally all straight edge folk) are like partying and stuff.

Reactions: Brethers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad