Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
At what point will he be too old/broken down to play for the Senators?

I want to set a calendar appointment.
He's more reliable than Ryan. For the next 2 years he is one of the best options out there. Unless you are planning on building a dynasty with this group of players we have to win while Anderson, Ryan, and Phaneuf can still contribute because 2 of those contracts are going to eventually sink us. Spezza is not elite anymore but is still better than most of our forwards.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Not on this team in the way it is constructed and how players are expected to contribute.
Players are expected to contribute but some of them are not up to it. Spezza has always made his linemates better and that element is what we are missing. We have a bunch of talented players but nothing glue's them together. We suck on the PP and the PK. We can't hold leads and suck in the shootout. At what point does this team just click? With the talent we have being a defense first team night not be using our players to there true potential. If we are going to suck on special teams I would rather watch a Paul Mclean system and be entertained than this boring brand of hockey. Oh the stresses of an average team.

Of all of the possible targets out there Spezza is the one that could be had. We can't get Tavares or any young stud. Thorton is already in retired mode. We don't have enough and still need to add.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Players are expected to contribute but some of them are not up to it. Spezza has always made his linemates better and that element is what we are missing. We have a bunch of talented players but nothing glue's them together. We suck on the PP and the PK. We can't hold leads and suck in the shootout. At what point does this team just click? With the talent we have being a defense first team night not be using our players to there true potential. If we are going to suck on special teams I would rather watch a Paul Mclean system and be entertained than this boring brand of hockey. Oh the stresses of an average team.

Of all of the possible targets out there Spezza is the one that could be had. We can't get Tavares or any young stud. Thorton is already in retired mode. We don't have enough and still need to add.
It's a team issue if Jason Spezza is the type of player that you need to 'glue' the pieces together.

Why would you go out looking for a solution that IMO wouldn't make a difference when you haven't even tried to remedy the issues internally (young guys/prospects)?

Arkantoss

Mar 2, 2016
I just like the idea of trading Ryan for spezza cause we get to dump the long ass contract. I bet were on his no trade list though hehe

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The cap could go up to 80-82 million this upcoming season.

Does that make Phaneuf movable?

Does our budget work in relation to the cap ceiling? Or are we screwed.

Are we gonna see Dorion all of a sudden revisit the Stone contract talks mid season in fear of a hot start and a rising cap leading to him asking for something absurd like 8x8?

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
The cap could go up to 80-82 million this upcoming season.

Does that make Phaneuf movable?

Does our budget work in relation to the cap ceiling? Or are we screwed.

Are we gonna see Dorion all of a sudden revisit the Stone contract talks mid season in fear of a hot start and a rising cap leading to him asking for something absurd like 8x8?

a quarter of a season doesnt make an 8 year contract

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
a quarter of a season doesnt make an 8 year contract

The implication in the post is the combined risk of Stone maintaining this pace throughout the entire season, and the cap possibly rising to as much as 82 million could lead to Stone being in a position to ask for a huge contract and whether Dorion would weigh those risks and circle back to try and get something done now in order to avoid the risk of Stone's leverage peaking next off season.

I'm fully aware that there is a possibility that Stone could regress back to his norm.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

8x8 isn't absurd for Stone. Dude is one of the best forwards in the league IMO.

Bobby makes 7.25M and he's not even in the same league as Stone. If I'm Stone I'm demanding more money and term than him.

We should be happy to get him locked up at that term+amount.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
8x8 isn't absurd for Stone. Dude is one of the best forwards in the league IMO.

Bobby makes 7.25M and he's not even in the same league as Stone. If I'm Stone I'm demanding more money and term than him.

We should be happy to get him locked up at that term+amount.

It's clear via my post and my follow up clarification that I am not arguing that Stone won't be in a position in a position to ask for that. I am arguing the opposite, that in a perfect storm scenario, it's a possibility.

I wouldn't agree that we should be happy to get Stone locked up at that amount. It might be better than the alternative of losing him in a year or two, but it would be a very risky contract with Stone's foot speed and would be one of the biggest commitments money wise in the entire league. There are only 15 players in the league making that kind of money, and Stone has not played at his current level consistently enough to be in that group.

The "Bobby Ryan makes 7.25M and he's not even in the same league as Stone" ignores the fact that Bobby was paid based on the idea that he was a completely different player. He failed to live up to the deal. The Bobby Ryan who scored 30 goals for 4 or 5 straight seasons was much closer to Stone.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I don't think Ryan was signed because Murray actually thought he'd live up to the contract.

The Ryan trade was a face-saving move by Murray after Alfie walked, and was a job-saving signing to prevent Bobby from walking.

Letting Ryan walk would have meant people calling for Murray's head, as that would have meant giving up Silfverberg, Noesen and a high 1st for 2 underwhelming years of Bobby.

In regards to Stone, I genuinely think he's one of the better forwards in the league. He's put up 60P every year he's been in the league, and is a Selke-quality defensive player. This year he's on pace for over a PPG.

I'd pay him as much as 10M to stay a Senator. He's that good.

TonySoprano11

It's a very delicate situation.
Apr 8, 2006
Hayden, ID
Spezza has always made his linemates better and that element is what we are missing.

WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

For years while Spezza was here the argument I always made about why Spezza wasn't a true elite #1C was because he DOES NOT ever elevate the play of guys around him. Spezza is only as good as the guys he is playing with, and he does not have the leadership or play style which elevates the game of his line-mates.

You are wearing very rose colored glasses when it comes to Spezza. I liked the guy and thought he was a great player for us, but aside from terrible turnovers, Spezza's second worst attribute was that he was never able to make the guys around him better, and he lived and died by his line-mates.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Wait... what?

You're talking about the guy who turned Michalek into a 35 goal scorer?

The guy who made Bobby ****ing Butler score at a 20+ goal pace?

The guy who essentially got COLIN GREENING a medium term NHL contract, and a 17 goal season?

Spezza quite obviously made everyone around him better because of his supreme hockey IQ and passing skills. Most players of that ilk do.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
In regards to Stone, I genuinely think he's one of the better forwards in the league. He's put up 60P every year he's been in the league, and is a Selke-quality defensive player. This year he's on pace for over a PPG.

I'd pay him as much as 10M to stay a Senator. He's that good.

I respect your opinion, I also think Mark Stone is arguably our best forward, but we'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

For years while Spezza was here the argument I always made about why Spezza wasn't a true elite #1C was because he DOES NOT ever elevate the play of guys around him. Spezza is only as good as the guys he is playing with, and he does not have the leadership or play style which elevates the game of his line-mates.

You are wearing very rose colored glasses when it comes to Spezza. I liked the guy and thought he was a great player for us, but aside from terrible turnovers, Spezza's second worst attribute was that he was never able to make the guys around him better, and he lived and died by his line-mates.
What are you talking about?

He literally gave Michalek, Greening, and Butler retirement deals.

Both Heater and Alfredson's career years were with Spezza.

He came 4th in the league in scoring with Greening/Michalek/Butler as his linemates.

You are 100% wrong here.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

Lol only as good as the linemates he had? The guy came fifth in MVP voting with Colin. Freaking. Greening riding shotgun. Ppg+ with Colin. Freaking. Greening. Colin. Greening. Greening,Colin.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
WRONG. WRONG. WRONG.

The only thing that's wrong here is you.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Gotta say I agree. Spezza was basically a PPG centre no matter who he played with. So... yeah he made the people around him better.

However, he's nowhere close to that guy anymore, and he doesn't want to be here.

And I don't want him here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad