Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Whelp, I'm done here for a while. If this is what we can look forward to for the next 2 months of offseason discussion, I have better things to do with my time.

Talk to you guys in September.

Bonk, Don't leave me alone with them ! :cry:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Might not have been an option but

Jokinen at 1.1 for 1 vs Thompson at 1.65 for 2

IMO Jokinen is better value player vs player

You can slice and dice this a number of ways...but Brass may be out for a month lets say.. adding C depth and allowing Smith to play up the lineup on the wing has merit. You could configure it other ways and make it work.. but I can see why they went that way.
If they are still trying to sign Stalberg , Jokinen would have made a good alternative. Either one of those guys pushes someone, likely Dzingel to 13th forward

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He wasnt called up due to attitude issues, his potential and talent should have had him as the first call up. He had a very good second half in the AHL which is why he was called up at the end of the year. I think he will push for a spot and eventually make the team coming out of camp.

Hey I hope he proves me wrong. But im not too optimistic..

And if he does make this team id be willing to bet a pretty penny it wont be out of camp but as a deserved callup..

We probably run a bottom 6 of:

Hoffman-Pageau-Pyatt
Dzingel-Thompson-Burrows

Then we also have guys like White, and maybe even Chlapik ahead of him too.. His time is running out for sure..

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Hey I hope he proves me wrong. But im not too optimistic..

And if he does make this team id be willing to bet a pretty penny it wont be out of camp but as a deserved callup..

We probably run a bottom 6 of:

Hoffman-Pageau-Pyatt
Dzingel-Thompson-Burrows

Then we also have guys like White, and maybe even Chlapik ahead of him too.. His time is running out for sure..

I am sure Chlapik and White are higher rated prospects on the sens overall depth chart. However Paul is NHL ready and a big body that can take on a 4th line role. Boucher likes responsible players, I dont think it would be the worst thing for White and Chlapik to get a good taste of first line action in the AHL. I can almost guarantee Chlapik doesnt get a sniff this year.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I am sure Chlapik and White are higher rated prospects on the sens overall depth chart. However Paul is NHL ready and a big body that can take on a 4th line role. Boucher likes responsible players, I dont think it would be the worst thing for White and Chlapik to get a good taste of first line action in the AHL. I can almost guarantee Chlapik doesnt get a sniff this year.

I'd be very surprised that he doesn't get a cup of coffee.

White/Chlapik/Perron/Paul/McCormick will be the guys considered (White/Paul may start the year, and would be 1st callups)

We always see at least 4/5 different guys up every year (last year it was McCormick/Varone/Paul/Bailey/Robinson/Bluden)

I'd expect Chlapik to get a few games should he have any kind of good play in the A.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He wasnt called up due to attitude issues, his potential and talent should have had him as the first call up. He had a very good second half in the AHL which is why he was called up at the end of the year. I think he will push for a spot and eventually make the team coming out of camp.

I was surprised he never got a callup earlier in the year.. Paul always struck me as a guy with a good attitude... I think he won hardest worker at dev camp a couple years, last year for sure. What was his attitude problem , any insight?

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI

I wouldnt say that about Chlapik.. The kid is playing with a chip on his shoulder and at this point anything is possible with him.

But as for White, yes he could use some AHL time, but he has also proven to be able to play within Bouchers system. If he starts in the AHL, Id be willing to bet he gets called up before Paul.

And then theres also McCormick and probably Didomenico fighting for that 2nd F called up with Paul..(McCormick's 1 way deal next year is also bad news for Paul..) Management seems to be souring on Paul.. So this is his year to prove his worth..

If we start to see the McCormick's and Didomenico's and even the Reinhart's (this years Varone) called up before Paul again, then I'd say thats pretty much it for Paul.. (especially since he requires waivers next year)

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
signing Thompson kinda makes Stalberg redundant

if we get someone it should be a guy that can score/help out the PP

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Whelp, I'm done here for a while. If this is what we can look forward to for the next 2 months of offseason discussion, I have better things to do with my time.

Talk to you guys in September.

Some people just can't handle any bit of negativity in their lives.

If you want to live in a happy fantasy land where everything Sens management does is good and no criticism is allowed, be my guest.

I'll be here, holding management to account for their incompetence.

Ya the quality of posters really took a nose dive

Based on what measurement? Optimism?

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Some people just can't handle any bit of negativity in their lives.

If you want to live in a happy fantasy land where everything Sens management does is good and no criticism is allowed, be my guest.

I'll be here, holding management to account for their incompetence.
?

Can you blame people for taking a break from this place? It's been pretty negative around here this off season, dont you think? I don't see anyone claiming Sens management is perfect, but the negativity can be a bit much at times. I can't fault anyone for wanting to get away from it for a while, especially in July when there's no news.

Now if some posters want to **** on the team every chance they get, be my guest, but that doesn't mean we all have to read and respond to it.

I'm not happy with this off season either, but if you look at my most recent posts, it's not all doom and gloom.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
'A little bit of negativity' ... if the Sens switched out coffee cups for cheaper ones we'd get a 100 post thread on it and why it's the end of all success until Melnyk sells the team.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
We had a bad off-season. There should be negativity around here.

There's a general complacency on this site that is greatly troubling. We've had bad management for a decade now, and other than a few of us, there's not many calling for a regime change.

You hear the way other team's fans call out their management for their failures - it's night and day. Canucks fans have had bad management through Benning for 3 years now, and they have been calling for his head for almost as long. Habs fans are sick of Bergevin and they are letting everyone know it. Holland presided over multiple cups as the GM of the Wings, but he's been bad for years now and Wings fans are pressuring ownership to change the guard.

We should be demanding better, not excusing failure.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I didn't realize we had already missed the 2018 playoffs. Thanks for letting me know.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015

There's a general complacency on this site that is greatly troubling. We've had bad management for a decade now, and other than a few of us, there's not many calling for a regime change.

You hear the way other team's fans call out their management for their failures - it's night and day. Canucks fans have had bad management through Benning for 3 years now, and they have been calling for his head for almost as long. Habs fans are sick of Bergevin and they are letting everyone know it. Holland presided over multiple cups as the GM of the Wings, but he's been bad for years now and Wings fans are pressuring ownership to change the guard.

our old boys club is starting to get just as bad as the oilers.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
We just had the best season in 10 years. They should be questioned about this summer but they've earned the benefit of the doubt to let it play out whether some like it or not, thats what succes does. How many managers get fired after being one double ot goal from likely winning it all. You're calling for heads to roll but its literally the least likely time for that to happen over 10 years.

Not everyone sees these moves as garbage and its annoying to see it portrayed in every post like they're factual points and not just opinions and you're sucking the tit to say you agree with them. Some people like the Burrows trade/signing to add a quality 3rd liner. Some like the Thompson signing to fix the 4th line center spot. Some want internal D options tried over the middling bs options that were available in ufa. Hell some are ok with us being a budget team that just wont spend that last 5 mil.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
Our offseason has consisted of losing Methot for nothing, watching Alfie walk away again, a terrible jersey reveal and signing a 4th liner for probably a bit more than we should be paying.

I'd say some negativity is fair.

I do differ in that I like the Dahlen trade. Given Andy's age and being in EK's prime I think now is the time to go for it. I don't care if we ship out guys who may never play in the NHL for a player that can pitch in right now in the playoffs.

I find it frustrating that our D is going to be tossing in a bunch of rookies to see if anyone will stick. It feels like the gongshow of 2 years ago.

Watching us make it to game 7 of the ECF, and seemingly take a step back in the offseason just sucks.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I was surprised he never got a callup earlier in the year.. Paul always struck me as a guy with a good attitude... I think he won hardest worker at dev camp a couple years, last year for sure. What was his attitude problem , any insight?

Didnt want to put in the work, thought he had a spot on the team with the sens because he finished the season with them the year before. Had a terrible start to last season, got the wakeup call and finished really strong. Not really a suprising thing from a young man, the NHL is a tough place to stick. I think we see a really good depth player in Paul this season. He is massive, has good defensive instincts and gets around the ice well for a big guy. Hard for a coach not to like that.

I wouldnt say that about Chlapik.. The kid is playing with a chip on his shoulder and at this point anything is possible with him.

But as for White, yes he could use some AHL time, but he has also proven to be able to play within Bouchers system. If he starts in the AHL, Id be willing to bet he gets called up before Paul.

And then theres also McCormick and probably Didomenico fighting for that 2nd F called up with Paul..(McCormick's 1 way deal next year is also bad news for Paul..) Management seems to be souring on Paul.. So this is his year to prove his worth..

If we start to see the McCormick's and Didomenico's and even the Reinhart's (this years Varone) called up before Paul again, then I'd say thats pretty much it for Paul.. (especially since he requires waivers next year)

I really dont think McCormicks one way deal is any threat whatsoever to Paul. Paul is simply a way better player and can bring way more to the table. People are forgetting how effective he was up with the sens when he finished the year two seasons ago. He actually cycles the puck and can bury players, his reach is also very usefull.

I would be pleasantly suprised if Chlapik forced a call up, I just think there will be an adjustment very similar to Perron. Going from being bigger and stronger than everyone in Jr to the pros is a massive adjustment. For a player that isnt physically strong for his age or fast he is going to have to adapt his game.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'll be here, holding management to account for their incompetence

you live in a fantasy world Hale. You're not holding anyone to account.

Your constant over the top negativity is driving people with vinformed, valid hockey opinions away from this site. What's worse is you don't present your profoundly negative opinions as opinions, you present them as statements of fact.

it's truly unfortunate when the actions of so few ruin something for so many. You may think you're negativity is providing a valued service to the board here but that my friend is simply another tin foiled hat theory like so much of what you post.

As Bonk noted...I can't take it anymore. that's my last post til fall. hopefully the door hits me in the ass on the way out.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Hyper critical vs Hyper sensitive.

I don't side with either of these two groups.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I doubt Chlapik gets a callup this yr too unless there are a lot of injuries. It also wouldn't surprise me if PD needs to make a deal to improve a certain position that he couldinclude Chlapik as part of the package which would infuriate a few people.

We do demand better & unbeknownst to YOU apparently they were Better, much better. They were one goal away from going to the SCF, they just had the best run in ten yrs. Regardless of whether you were in favour or against the moves PD made, those moves arguably helped the Sens get as far as they got & IMO that results in a success regardless of how well the players they traded do well later or not. The NHL is about winning, the Sens went from not making the playoffs last yr to being a goal away from the SCF, that's the very definition of a successful season & I don't see how you can determine anything different from it. But that was last season.

Let's move on to the offseason less than a month later, starting with the expansion draft. They lost Marc Methot who was 32 yrs old & having injury concerns & probably a diminishing skill set. Claesson & Harpur (both left shot D) both had what I consider, successful roles in the playoff run & both proved I thought they are NHL ready & can play a role on this team to help offset the loss of Methot. They also have Chabot & Englund (also both left shot D) coming who IMO are also very close to being NHL ready & taking a regular shift on this team. This LD depth is why I don't see the loss of Methot as that big a deal, we'll soon see how that will turn out.

The NHL entry draft IMO was a success given where they were drafting from, how many picks they had & what they ended up with. Shane Bowers was their 1st rd pick (28th overall) & he was a player ranked right around where they drafted him. He is a very good two way centre who is not really elite at anything but very good at everything. Good size, good speed, good skills, good passer, good defensively & he can score. My guess is that he does every bit as well at BU as Colin White did at BC, if not better. In this draft Ottawa got a very good centre, what looks like a very good pick at LW in Formenton, a high energy RWer in Batherson & a goalie project in Hollett. A complete 2nd or 3rd line & a goalie. I don't get what's not to like about these players? Could they have done better? Maybe, who knows, they could have done worse too, it will all depend on how these guys turn out which nobody including YOU knows. It's a success until it is proven it is not. BTW all four looked very good at the development camp, so far so good.

July 1 - again could they have done better? Of course, but what would that have cost in players & assets for a team that just went as deep as it did less than a month ago & could they have afforded it? It also doesn't mean if they would have done everything you wanted that it would result in success, hockey is a fickled sport & nobody can predict outcomes. Once Pageau & Dzingel are signed & my guess is this will get done sooner rather than later than this team should be somewhere around $70 mil which my guess is the limit to this internal budget. Was Thompson a great acquisition? NO. But it was a stop gap measure to bring in a vet player that GB knew who could play the role GB wanted & replace Kelly. It also probably means that all of the young prospects will most likely end up in Bellville for development.

I certainly would have done things differently too, but you can't argue with the success of last season & you have to give the moves he made in the offseason a chance before condemning them when you have no idea how things will turn out this season. Your OPINION of condemning moves before knowing how they will turn out when they have just as much chance of being successful. That is basically PD's job, to make his team successful yr after yr. In yr one, by all accounts, the team going as far as it did means he did very well & much better than poor Tim did in Buffalo. Should he not get the benefit of the doubt during this off season until we see the product on the ice for next season & how they do before condemning him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad