Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals/Free Agents 2017-2018 | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If Stone takes an arbitration settlement the writing is on the wall, as shitty as that is.

It shouldn't (and may not, hopefully) get to that point.

If we resign Duchene it's likely, very likely, going to be an overpayment with his UFA and all the PR disasters going on, similar to Ryan

Tough days ahead, real tough

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There aren't many players I would keep from the Ottawa Senators right now & would like to move about 10 of them. If it wasn't for the Hoffman debacle I would much rather have him in the lineup than Boedker tbh. In trading a number of players with no future with Ottawa I would hope to get back a top six RW, a top line LW, a top 2 RD & a #1 goalie. However, I doubt the guys I would like to move out likely won't garner that much in return with the exception of EK.

Having said that though, we may have a #1 goalie in Gustavsson although he is probably a number of yrs away from that. We may have a top six RW in Batherson but that remains to be seen & we may have a top line LW in Tkachuk which is what I expect given where he was drafted. Also Ottawa could have two top RD in Docker & Jaros given where Docker was drafted & given all the hype surrounding Jaros over the last couple of yrs & Bergman is another RD Ottawa got in a trade. Ottawa could also have a top line centre in Brown & two top nine centres in White & Chlapik, then there is Formenton, Luchuk, Perron, Gagne, Nurmi, Englund, Hogberg & Tychonik.

While the team they have right now sucks, the future looks like it has some potential, they still need to add a couple of very good young snipers IMO. Hopefully, if EK is traded they are able to get a good young sniper or two in return or at least a high draft pick coming back.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
If Stone takes an arbitration settlement the writing is on the wall, as ****ty as that is.

It shouldn't (and may not, hopefully) get to that point.

If we resign Duchene it's likely, very likely, going to be an overpayment with his UFA and all the PR disasters going on, similar to Ryan

Tough days ahead, real tough
They gotta get Stone done. Back up the money truck, tell him he's captain if/when Karlsson is gone, make him the highest paid player, 8 years of job security etc. After he's signed it makes everything else easier. He can be part of both a rebuild and whatever else the team stumbles it's way into under Dorion/Melnyk.

Reactions: Sensinitis

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yup

The 6.5 per season, was what I read here.

Kyle Turris blames Senators owner, not management, for contract impasse that led to trade

Turris has said he initially asked for a contract that took him into his mid-30s worth roughly $6.5 million per season. Per Turris' account, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wasn't eager to offer the long-term deal to Turris. So instead, the team dealt its 28-year-old No. 1 center to Nashville in a three-team trade that brought Matt Duchene to Ottawa from Colorado.

So, your response to questioning a claim of 6.5 mil for 6 years as Turris' ask is an article that states:

Turris then signed a six-year, $36 million extension with Nashville. And while the contract isn't the exact length that he had requested from Melnyk and Senators general manager Pierre Dorion, it was still longer than the Senators were willing to go,

Not sure that drive home the point you were initially claiming which everybody was contesting. In fact, it directly refutes half your claim.

TheBradyBunch

Dec 17, 2008
As it currently stands, the Jets only have 10 bonafide NHL forwards on their roster. Dano, Petan, Appleton and Lemieux will be fighting for the final 2 or 3 roster spots.

I wonder if they would have interest in Dzingel or perhaps Pyatt. Dano and Petan will both need to pass through waivers if they don't make the opening night roster. If we could get one of Appleton or Lemieux in exchange for Dzingel, though, I think that would be a great move for us. I would probably make the trade for Petan if a mid-rounder was included, too.

I think we should be looking extremely hard at dealing Dzingel ASAP unless we can extend him at a reasonable cost (2.25-2.75m). He's a good player and he has value due to his contract and his ability to play up and down the lineup. It would be a shame if we failed to capitalize on that.

Reactions: Anaxagoras

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Taking the arbitration settlement is the best option for Stone honestly. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he’s gone by the trade deadline or leaves as a UFA.

Is Melnyk seriously going to pay Stone$7.5M +?
I doubt it, he’ll take the settlement and sign with a contender next offseason.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
Taking the arbitration settlement is the best option for Stone honestly. Wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he’s gone by the trade deadline or leaves as a UFA.

Is Melnyk seriously going to pay Stone$7.5M +?
I doubt it, he’ll take the settlement and sign with a contender next offseason.
He gave Bobby Ryan 7.5mil 4 years ago. He'll get Stone 8mil now.

Reactions: Sensinitis

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You must not be very familiar with Ian Mendes. That's not his schtick at all. We're just over a week away from Stone's arbitration date, its just a realistic scenario at this point. Almost all teams don't have guys who are this important to their team get this far. Most teams treat their stars like stars imo.
If this team cant sign Stone or Karlsson who would actually support this team? I cant imagine a single person. Absolutely no point in watching this team.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Well are they going to do anything to improve the 2nd worst team in the league? Or is your hope now just to keep the few good players on the roster at this point?
Good honest question. I'm on the record as saying we should deal Karl for a bunch of solid pieces and futures, preferably potential top 4 dmen. Our d isn't going to cut it and I think we need a couple more pieces there. The forwards are good enough if boucher uses them correctly. We're not as bad as last year's record but we're not good. And we don't have any areas of strength to deal from. I would probably take offers on some of our prospects in exchange for solid 3-6 dmen off a crowded roster.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Yep.

There's a good chance Duchene's next contract will be just as regrettable as Turris' deal in 3-4 years. Especially if Duchene gets a Ryan or higher contract.

Aren't the majority of these deals regrettable? Weber, Toews, Kane, etc...it is just the fact of doing business in today's NHL. Karlsson getting what he wants will be as well.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Aren't the majority of these deals regrettable? Weber, Toews, Kane, etc...it is just the fact of doing business in today's NHL. Karlsson getting what he wants will be as well.

More or less. How regrettable depends on the player and the contract hit.

Personally, I think Duchene at 8x8 will be worse (long term) than Turris at 6x6.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Hope they prioritize EK and Duchene. Move Stone if you can only sign 2 of the 3.

Last edited:

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So, your response to questioning a claim of 6.5 mil for 6 years as Turris' ask is an article that states:

Not sure that drive home the point you were initially claiming which everybody was contesting. In fact, it directly refutes half your claim.

a 28 year old Turris, was asking for a contract that would take him to his mid thirties (28 + 6 = 34 aka mid thirties) and 6.5 million per year........... he may have been asking for 7 or 8 years with Ottawa, why would you assume it was less than 6?

Turris has said he initially asked for a contract that took him into his mid-30s worth roughly $6.5 million per season. Per Turris' account, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wasn't eager to offer the long-term deal to Turris. So instead, the team dealt its 28-year-old No. 1 center to Nashville

What do you suggest is mid thirties, 32 or 33 ?

Last edited:

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
a 28 year old Turris, was asking for a contract that would take him to his mid thirties (28 + 6 = 34 aka mid thirties) and 6.5 million per year........... he may have been asking for 7 or 8 years with Ottawa, why would you assume it was less than 6?

Turris has said he initially asked for a contract that took him into his mid-30s worth roughly $6.5 million per season. Per Turris' account, Senators owner Eugene Melnyk wasn't eager to offer the long-term deal to Turris. So instead, the team dealt its 28-year-old No. 1 center to Nashville

35 most likely.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There aren't many players I would keep from the Ottawa Senators right now & would like to move about 10 of them. If it wasn't for the Hoffman debacle I would much rather have him in the lineup than Boedker tbh. In trading a number of players with no future with Ottawa I would hope to get back a top six RW, a top line LW, a top 2 RD & a #1 goalie. However, I doubt the guys I would like to move out likely won't garner that much in return with the exception of EK.

Having said that though, we may have a #1 goalie in Gustavsson although he is probably a number of yrs away from that. We may have a top six RW in Batherson but that remains to be seen & we may have a top line LW in Tkachuk which is what I expect given where he was drafted. Also Ottawa could have two top RD in Docker & Jaros given where Docker was drafted & given all the hype surrounding Jaros over the last couple of yrs & Bergman is another RD Ottawa got in a trade. Ottawa could also have a top line centre in Brown & two top nine centres in White & Chlapik, then there is Formenton, Luchuk, Perron, Gagne, Nurmi, Englund, Hogberg & Tychonik.

While the team they have right now sucks, the future looks like it has some potential, they still need to add a couple of very good young snipers IMO. Hopefully, if EK is traded they are able to get a good young sniper or two in return or at least a high draft pick coming back.

I think you are being hopeful but still overly optimistic for the Senator’s prospects, given that very few of them were top 5 or top 10 picks.

If the Senators had tanked for several years and managed to draft in the top 5 for several years, I would be more optimistic about the prospects. Imagine if we had Toronto’s high draft pick prospects (Mathews, Marner, Reilly, and got lucky with later picks like Nylander) then I would be more optimistic.

Of course, some of the recent signings and trades made by the two most recent Senator’s GMs have not been real winners. They did a lot of damage to the future prospects of the team in an attempt to get into the playoffs and win a round or two for the additional revenues.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I would like to think not but the logical brain in me says you may be right. 8 years at $11M could turn out to be a Phaneufian anchor for this team in 4 or 5 years as age and injuries take their toll on Karlsson’s future performance.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Are you seriously doubling down here? The article you are quoting directly said in the next couple sentences that you conveniently omit that 6 years was less than he was asking for, and now your arguing that because it made a vague comment about mid thirties it must mean 6 years?

So, Dorion and Turris lied when they confirmed 6 years was never on the table, but your assumption about what was meant by a contract that took him into his mid -30's is accurate, despite the same source contradicting that very assumtion... wow.

Turris wanted 7+ Ottawa wanted <5 years. That seems to be the concensus across all the sources out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad