Rumor: Trade Rumors/Proposals 2018-2019 (Part 19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Probably not at this point there's either a problem with laine's attitude or other jet's players attitudes.

Not willing to trade a prospect with absolutely no knocks on him for Laine.

This is insane... Laine has scored 110 NHL goals and just turned 21 lol. He is also enormous, and likely still improving. At the same time if JBD becomes a full time NHLer thats a win where he was drafted.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
This is insane... Laine has scored 110 NHL goals and just turned 21 lol. He is also enormous, and likely still improving. At the same time if JBD becomes a full time NHLer thats a win where he was drafted.

I know what your saying but I just feel like everyone is always so grass is green here.

Realistically we don't have the budget to retain laine at 11-15 million AND ice a competitive team.

Chabot AND Laine ain't gonna happen both above 10.

Yes it would be nice to be owned by molson like Montreal or bell and Roger's like the leafs and have endless pockets of money from faceless corporations but that's not our team.

As a whole the salary alone will sink our team and just proposing that a rare right shot D is way more valuable to our rebuild than building around laine.

That is my honest opinion I'm not trying to change your mind but overall idk goals aren't everything to me I like laine but looking at everything I don't like it.

It's like when oilers built around hall when they should have drafted Seguin.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I know what your saying but I just feel like everyone is always so grass is green here.

Realistically we don't have the budget to retain laine at 11-15 million AND ice a competitive team.

Chabot AND Laine ain't gonna happen both above 10.

Yes it would be nice to be owned by molson like Montreal or bell and Roger's like the leafs and have endless pockets of money from faceless corporations but that's not our team.

As a whole the salary alone will sink our team and just proposing that a rare right shot D is way more valuable to our rebuild than building around laine.

That is my honest opinion I'm not trying to change your mind but overall idk goals aren't everything to me I like laine but looking at everything I don't like it.

It's like when oilers built around hall when they should have drafted Seguin.
Hall has won the Hart Trophy and has the better numbers, playing with worse linemates than Seguin (an Art Ross winner)

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Hall has won the Hart Trophy and has the better numbers, playing with worse linemates than Seguin (an Art Ross winner)

Yes I would even suggest he is the best player that has played 5 career playoff games in 9 years

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes I would even suggest he is the best player that has played 5 career playoff games in 9 years
I mean, sure?

MVP, he was the best player in the NHL, which Seguin hasn't been close too.

Put Seguin in Edmonton and Hall in Boston/Dallas and Seguin would be the one with 5 games.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto
This is pretty close with what I think the package would look like, except I think the secondary prospect might be better. We probably have to give up one of Batherson or Brannstrom who seem to be our top prospects, and then one of either Brown, JBD, or Thomson.

Keep in mind, I am not suggesting this trade. Just stating what I think it might take if we were actually ridiculous enough to do it.

Batherson
Thomson or JBD
Pageau
SJS 2020 1st

All those pieces aside from maybe Pageau are worth a 1st depending on the Jets evaluation of each prospect. The Jets went for help down the middle last trade deadline, they get Pageau early instead. I doubt we're going to re-sign him.

Batherson gives the Jets an NHL ready top 6 forward with 2 years of his ELC still in tact. That's the big piece of the trade for them.

The other option would be our 2020 1st and a few pieces for Laine. Similar to the Kessel to TOR deal.

If that's what it takes to land Laine I'm driving Batherson to the airport to catch Melnyk's soon to be repossessed plane myself.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
I mean, sure?

MVP, he was the best player in the NHL, which Seguin hasn't been close too.

Put Seguin in Edmonton and Hall in Boston/Dallas and Seguin would be the one with 5 games.

It's hard to argue with mcdavid not even getting Edmonton to playoffs honestly xD

Reactions: BondraTime

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Laine could be on the block

if so the sens should be throwing guys like JBD, Thompson, Norris at the jets

though i doubt melnyk can affoerd him

Nah.

The way to bring out the best in Laine is to have a young, Spezza-esque center to feed him. We don't have that. No point moving a ton of assets for him if we can't set him up to reach his ceiling.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Nah.

The way to bring out the best in Laine is to have a young, Spezza-esque center to feed him. We don't have that. No point moving a ton of assets for him if we can't set him up to reach his ceiling.
You might be right but Laine doesnt seem like a guy who relies on his linemates for goals. It's more confidence and having the PP revolve around him. I don't think you need a Spezza level talent to set up those one timers which he's deadly on. Doesn't hurt though obviously.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Brown looks like Spezza 2.0 a lot of the time.

I'd be down to trade for Laine but it doesn't make much sense to do it now, let's see how what we have performs first. Getting Laine means giving him a monster contract and while he may be worth it, those tend to create issues for us.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You might be right but Laine doesnt seem like a guy who relies on his linemates for goals. It's more confidence and having the PP revolve around him. I don't think you need a Spezza level talent to set up those one timers which he's deadly on. Doesn't hurt though obviously.

Oh, we can certainly use a lesser center. But that means we're pegging him for 30-35 goals instead of 50. Chances are, any team trading for him will have to pay him as a 40-50 goal guy.

If we're going to trade for him, we need to make sure he's in an environment where he can get those 50+ goals and be good value. Like Do Make Say Think says above this post, we might be able to in the future with Brown, but we don't have that capability right now.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
How has no one lobbed the “Chabot for Laine” grenade on the air yet? I’m not really a fan of either player but Laine seems to be the best return we could get for Chabot - so why not rip the bandaid off early?

Abandoneduser

Delete this account!!!!
Aug 31, 2009
How has no one lobbed the “Chabot for Laine” grenade on the air yet? I’m not really a fan of either player but Laine seems to be the best return we could get for Chabot - so why not rip the bandaid off early?

Please see your way out!

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

If we can't afford Chabot, then we can't afford Laine.

Reactions: TkachukNorris79

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Since 2005 no GM has knowingly traded a top 4 pick. Add in the quality of this year's top prospects it wouldn't happen.

I agree - but In 2001 we traded a young star in Yashin for #2 OA (Spezza) and Chara.

There are not many teams who trade 20 year old stars. We are in a position to consider trading Chabot or EB (or less) which may motivate a team to consider trading the second OA.

I love Chabot but the idea of having EB, CW, LT, and JBD is comforting and a top 6 including Brady, Laf, Byfield, Brown, Bath etc is worth considering.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I agree - but In 2001 we traded a young star in Yashin for #2 OA (Spezza) and Chara.

There are not many teams who trade 20 year old stars. We are in a position to consider trading Chabot or EB (or less) which may motivate a team to consider trading the second OA.

I love Chabot but the idea of having EB, CW, LT, and JBD is comforting and a top 6 including Brady, Laf, Byfield, Brown, Bath etc is worth considering.
Now you want to trade Chabot? Good grief. You feel comfortable trading a top 20 d man in hockey that is 22 because the sens have a few late first rounders coming? Chabot is the last asset this team should ever consider trading he is literally the best young Canadian d man in hockey and the sky is the limit. This is not remotely similar to trading Yashin. The situations arent close to the same thing.

You build from the net out you want your d and your goalies older than your core forwards.

The sens don't have a single legit top 4 d man other than Chabot. Hopefully Thomson and JBD are NHL players. Hopefully Brannstrom ends up as a top 4 d man in the NHL. There are no guarantees.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I just don't think we're in the position to make that big move yet. Stick to the rebuild. Build that roster, develop your players. We'll get a top 5 pick this year, along with a SJ pick likely between 15 and 27. Along with 3 2nds and more after the deadline. We'll also likely have a top 10 pick in 2021, a draft where we also have multiple 2nds. One or two of those can be used to move up, but the rest should be used. Those guys will be the 3rd wave of the rebuild, or pieces to move in a big trade.

We shouldn't draft for need, but we can trade for need when we're ready to win. We should wait until we're a playoff team to make that move.

Reactions: Slack

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Now you want to trade Chabot? Good grief. You feel comfortable trading a top 20 d man in hockey that is 22 because the sens have a few late first rounders coming? Chabot is the last asset this team should ever consider trading he is literally the best young Canadian d man in hockey and the sky is the limit. This is not remotely similar to trading Yashin. The situations arent close to the same thing.

You build from the net out you want your d and your goalies older than your core forwards.

The sens don't have a single legit top 4 d man other than Chabot. Hopefully Thomson and JBD are NHL players. Hopefully Brannstrom ends up as a top 4 d man in the NHL. There are no guarantees.

I’m open to the idea of trading players. I’d rather trade a dman like EB or TC than BT to get a forwArd like Byfield.

Byfield and Laf (potentially) would concentrate the core of of our movement into their UFA timeline.

I’d rather trade Wolanin for Byfield ... I’d rather trade BOS and SJ RD1 for Byfield. Those aren’t happening. I know a 25 year of Byfield likely won’t sign here as a UFA ... so a trade is probably the only path to get that much skill. We also hopefully don’t draft 1-5 in 2021.

I don’t know if the Sens would
Trade Chabot for Byfield straight up.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Brown looks like Spezza 2.0 a lot of the time.

I'd be down to trade for Laine but it doesn't make much sense to do it now, let's see how what we have performs first. Getting Laine means giving him a monster contract and while he may be worth it, those tend to create issues for us.

I’m a huge Brown (and Spezza) fan but I got a dose of caution when I compared their AHL seasons. Different teams, different era, different line mates etc.. Brown has bulked up and I’m excited to see him play - I’m concerned how his goal scoring may translate to the NHL.

Riceroni

Dec 14, 2018
Laine isn't coming here because Winnipeg won't trade him... people also need to stop bashing the kid because he's different...

If Ottawa could trade for him and all it would cost is SJ 1st, JBD, OTT 2nd 2021 and Formenton you do that deal and run... guys like Laine who can score at will are rare.. all those other things are not equivalent to a pure scorer

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Stay the course and gather a top 5 pick BOTH this year and next.
There isn't really much risk to this not happening. Whatever the geniuses do at the top, the team is going to be historically bad this year. Next year should be similar, the only thing in the way of a bottom finish would be how good the guy we draft in the 2020 draft is.

BK201

Apr 11, 2011
Laine isn't coming here because Winnipeg won't trade him... people also need to stop bashing the kid because he's different...

If Ottawa could trade for him and all it would cost is SJ 1st, JBD, OTT 2nd 2021 and Formenton you do that deal and run... guys like Laine who can score at will are rare.. all those other things are not equivalent to a pure scorer

I guess no one bashing him his production is dropping and it's been reported he doesn't get a long with some team mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad