Proposal: Trade Rumors and Proposals XV: MacT Throw Us a Friggin Bone Here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Is it normal for a fan of a team to spew so much hatred towards a certain player?

PS That logic is complete ******** and you know it.

Did you read who he was responding to? :laugh: Obviously it's not too abnormal...

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Some retooling of a previous idea.
Draft Ekblad, let him develop 1 year then bring him in as a pairing Nurse - Ekblad
Gagner for Gardiner
(Re)Sign MacDonald, Legwand, Winnik, Bryz, Khudobin, Nikitin, Kulemin, Belov, Petry, Schultz, Gazdic, Smyth

FORWARDS
Taylor Hall ($6.000m) / Ryan Nugent-Hopkins ($6.000m) / Nail Yakupov ($0.925m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / David Legwand ($5.000m) / Jordan Eberle ($6.000m)
Jesse Joensuu ($0.950m) / Boyd Gordon ($3.000m) / Daniel Winnik ($2.300m)
Ryan Smyth ($1.000m) / Mark Arcobello ($1.500m) / Tyler Pitlick ($0.701m)
Luke Gazdic ($0.700m) /

DEFENSEMEN
Andrew MacDonald ($5.000m) / Nikita Nikitin ($3.250m)
Jake Gardiner ($2.525m) / Jeff Petry ($2.755m)
Andrew Ference ($3.250m) / Justin Schultz ($2.254m)
Anton Belov ($1.525m) /

GOALTENDERS
Ilya Bryzgalov ($3.250m)
Anton Khudobin ($3.000m)

CAP SPACE (22-man roster): $6,402,875

Could shift guys around here and there. Keep term lengths in check to have a cycle of guys moving out. Not a ridiculous upgrade but I think it would be a good upgrade.

Last edited:

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Hold on, time out. When did Ott become good enough to be a #2 C? Especially to pay him $5M/yr. I like the guy and how he plays, but come on.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Hold on, time out. When did Ott become good enough to be a #2 C? Especially to pay him $5M/yr. I like the guy and how he plays, but come on.

It would and should be short term, like 5m per for 2-3 yrs. If Gagner can get 4.8m and Clarkson get 5m, he can get 5m. He's better than both of them and is a quality veteran we could use. He is also sided by 2 highly skilled wingers, not like he has to be some supreme producer to be effective. We're not in a position to be picky about what we could get at the position and because of standings / location probably DO have to overpay.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Ott is a 3rd liner that can play 2nd line because of injuries.

He also hasn't gotten a 40 point season in 5 years.

I can't see him getting more than $4M from anybody.

With that being said, I'd love to sign him and Downie. I'd even pay a premium.

Ott $4M x 2, Downie $3.75M x 2. That's 2/3 of a wonderful 3rd line. Hopefully there's money left for Kulemin and you're golden.

Last edited:

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

Cap rising and teams needing centers, I can see him getting 4m easily long term and up to 5m short term. Ott is a 3rd liner on a team deep at C. We're not. We could also throw 5m at Legwand I suppose but I am thinking he may get a big payday by *cough* Toronto.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
It would and should be short term, like 5m per for 2-3 yrs. If Gagner can get 4.8m and Clarkson get 5m, he can get 5m. He's better than both of them and is a quality veteran we could use. He is also sided by 2 highly skilled wingers, not like he has to be some supreme producer to be effective. We're not in a position to be picky about what we could get at the position and because of standings / location probably DO have to overpay.
Ott isn't and never will be a 2nd line center. Much like Boyd Gordon, they are excellent at being what they are.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Ott isn't and never will be a 2nd line center. Much like Boyd Gordon, they are excellent at being what they are.

Hmm, we're probably stuck with Gagner then if this is the case. Maybe we should throw money at Legwand, I'll alter for Leg. He probably wouldn't leave NSH though.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Hmm, we're probably stuck with Gagner then if this is the case.
I think there is more opportunity than that. Ideally, someone with skill and size would be nice. I do like Ott as a player, I just don't think you get alot of finish out of him.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
I think there is more opportunity than that. Ideally, someone with skill and size would be nice. I do like Ott as a player, I just don't think you get alot of finish out of him.

The finish is on the wings, the point is to get a gritty body in there some where. The price is irrelevant imo. The cap rises and we can spend and if it is a short term contract then who cares. Ott is not ideal and I don't mean to paint him that way, but there is slim pickings as it is this free agency. And the good ones (Legwand, Thornton) are likely not going any where or will require a ridiculous sum (I'd be willing to pay, but would they come to Edm is the key).

If we can trade for a 2C that would be nice but more unlikely.

Last edited:

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Cap rising and teams needing centers, I can see him getting 4m easily long term and up to 5m short term. Ott is a 3rd liner on a team deep at C. We're not. We could also throw 5m at Legwand I suppose but I am thinking he may get a big payday by *cough* Toronto.

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 3rd line centers making north of 4 million, besides the obvious Horcoff.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Isn't Statsny a free agent this offseason? If we can move Gagner, I wouldn't mind throwing some serious coin at him.

With trade options limited, we might as well try the free agent route. Especially considering we're floundering around the bottom of the barrel (again).

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any 3rd line centers making north of 4 million, besides the obvious Horcoff.

Gordon makes 3 million and was a 4th liner until he came here...Not the same thing but again to a free agent Edmonton is not the same as...[pick your southern state] and/or [team with good depth].

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Isn't Statsny a free agent this offseason? If we can move Gagner, I wouldn't mind throwing some serious coin at him.

With trade options limited, we might as well try the free agent route. Especially considering we're floundering around the bottom of the barrel (again).

Thornton is a free agent, we actually could afford to throw up to 10m at him, still sign some D improvements (even more if we move Gagner) and maybe a 3rd liner and have space.

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything
On the main trade forum they are discussing the Bruins moving a D. One of the ideas pitched was Smitty (possibly @ half price) + pick (3rd or 4th) for McQuaid. Adds some toughness and a solid stay at home guy, as well as a guy familiar with Ference who has also won a cup. And the best part is, Smitty gets one last legit shot at raising the cup.

Thoughts?

That entire discussion is based on an incredibly flawed premise. The idea that Miller (already back in the minors) and Bartowski possibly being ready for full time duty after 9 and 22 games respectively makes one of their current top 6 expendable.

That top 6 currently sits as Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Hamilton, McQuaid, and Krug. Do you really think anyone among Boston's management is thinking "we don't need this guy anymore" about any of those players because Bartowski managed 6 assists in 22 games? I would be shocked if they were.

Timo

May 23, 2007
Edmonton
On NHL 14 I traded;

Dubey for Backstrom
Hemsky for OEL
Hamilton for Clutterbuck

If they are makable in NHL 14, then surely MacT can do them in real life!

misfit

5-14-6-1
Feb 2, 2004
just north of...everything

Ott isn't even a center. Here are the most common line combinations the last few seasons that include Steve Ott:

13/14: Ott - Hodgson - Vanek
12/13: Ott - Hodgson - Pominville
11/12: Morrow - Ribeiro - Ott
10/11: Morrow - Ribeiro - Ott (and Ott-Wandell-Burish)
09/10: Eriksson - Richards - Ott (Ott may have been LW here, but Richards was definitely the C)
08/09: Lehtinen - Ribeiro - Ott
07/08: Ott - Modano - Halpern

He takes a lot of faceoffs (starting in the 10/11 season), but he's rarely been the center on his line.

He also hasn't gotten a 40 point season in 5 years.

With that being said, I'd love to sign him and Downie. I'd even pay a premium.

Ott $4M x 2, Downie $3.75M x 2. That's 2/3 of a wonderful 3rd line. Hopefully there's money left for Kulemin and you're golden.

Ott's making $3.2M right now. He'll get at least $4M as a UFA in the offseason, especially with the cap going up as much as it is. He's a highly sought after player by NHL GMs, and his point totals account for very little of that.

Last edited:

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton

I don't see a huge difference between Gagner and Stasny, it doesn't fix our problem.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
Ott isn't even a center. Here are the most common line combinations the last few seasons that include Steve Ott:

13/14: Ott - Hodgson - Vanek
12/13: Ott - Hodgson - Pominville
11/12: Morrow - Ribeiro - Ott
10/11: Morrow - Ribeiro - Ott (and Ott-Wandell-Burish)
09/10: Eriksson - Richards - Ott (Ott may have been LW here, but Richards was definitely the C)
08/09: Lehtinen - Ribeiro - Ott
07/08: Ott - Modano - Halpern

He takes a lot of faceoffs (starting in the 10/11 season), but he's rarely been the center on his line.

Ott's making $3.2M right now. He'll get at least $4M as a UFA in the offseason, especially with the cap going up as much as it is. He's a highly sought after player by NHL GMs, and his point totals account for very little of that.

That's disappointing that he is not a C. Is he not defensively sound enough there? Or they just developing Hodgeson for the spot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad