Trade Rumors and Proposals: "Keep your friends close but your enemies closer" version

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
That Filppula line should be flip-flopped with the Couturier line because it will undoubtedly get less ice time.

Otherwise, this is how I see it as well..with the caveat that Filppula and 2OA may swap positions on that line.

Yes but putting Flip on the 2nd line on paper stops arguements.

:laugh:

No sense working hard to try and have 4 good lines if we are going to trot out AMac 20 minutes a night and sign a backup as a starter.

Fix them all, or don't bother.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I think the Strome-Eberle trade is a fair one.

Eberle probably won't be worth his cap hit going forward, but he gives the Isles a more reliable scorer than Strome was for them. The Oilers finally ditch Eberle's salary, and get a younger guy who maybe still has some scoring upside. I think I'd rather have Strome at this point in their careers if just for the contracts.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
The idea of four scoring lines is cool, and I think it's a fun thought experiment- maybe even a real experiment for a few games- but there's only so much ice time to go around, and we don't want to dilute the distribution of time

Exactly. 3 good lines, then a 4th that consists of guys who are functional at ES, at least some of which can kill penalties. You can't afford more than that in salary or ice time.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I honestly wouldn't mind dropping Filppula down to the fourth line whether that's at center or wing. As I really don't think he's that good but he'll probably get moved to wing & fit somewhere in the top 9 to keep those minutes.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
If a lineup includes Konecny on the fourth line, you're doing something wrong. Frankly, if our fourth line features someone better than Read/Raffl/Laughton/Vecchione/Weal/Weise, then we should be looking to consolidate assets in order to upgrade elsewhere on the roster.

The idea of four scoring lines is cool, and I think it's a fun thought experiment- maybe even a real experiment for a few games- but there's only so much ice time to go around, and we don't want to dilute the distribution of time for more skilled players.
Yeah, I find this talk about "four scoring lines" a little naive. On the road the 4th line is going to face the opponent's top lines more often than not, so naturally they're not going to score a lot.
Matchups still exist. You can't just build your 4th line like it's a 2nd line/scoring line.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I honestly wouldn't mind dropping Filppula down to the fourth line whether that's at center or wing. As I really don't think he's that good but he'll probably get moved to wing & fit somewhere in the top 9 to keep those minutes.

He's not. I'm still baffled by how many people absolutely loved that acquisition.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Yeah, I find this talk about "four scoring lines" a little naive. On the road the 4th line is going to face the opponent's top lines more often than not, so naturally they're not going to score a lot.
Matchups still exist. You can't just build your 4th line like it's a 2nd line/scoring line.

It does? Matchups are more difficult for road teams, but it's not like they don't exist and away coaches use some gamesmanship to try to get the one they want. It's not like every road game Coots played 4th lines while Bellemare and VandeVelde played against top lines.

The better each line is -- not "scoring line" or "shutdown line" or "energy line"......just "good line," outscores opponent -- the more matchup proof they all are. I think "scoring line" has become ill defined. What I think most people want to say is non-traditional line of actual good hockey players doing good hockey things, not simply skilled sheltered players a la the traditional scoring line.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's not. I'm still baffled by how many people absolutely loved that acquisition.

I get why they did it then. Like I don't think he's terrible but he's just meh. Not someone I really care about at this point given everything that has since then transpired. Even though it won't likely happen I don't think it's taboo to put him on the fourth line as I think that's more vindictive of his ability at this point especially with the likely roster they should have next year.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

There's really no downside with it.

At the time we've obviously didn't expect to be adding Patrick/Hischier so the positives were...

Added another top 9 forward.
Schenn stops playing center
Can be our 3C until a prospect is hopefully ready
Contract isn't long enough or expensive enough to hurt our future

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I legitimately felt like I was the only person on the entire board who wasn't enamored with the Filppula trade, so glad to read this.

Oh man, no. That day was message board warfare. It was the minority opinion, but there were definitely others too. That was the day of the "Oh Hextall is never going to take much of a chance" war.

I still think the trade was fine because they didn't take on term and it didn't expose a real asset in the ED. I just don't hate it or think Filppula is a particularly effective player.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
I little concerned about how you're going to use them... but I guess if I remove both I'll have bigger things to worry about.

don't worry striiker, we'll get hatcher to donate one for you should this happen. we got you covered. :thumbu:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
don't worry striiker, we'll get hatcher to donate one for you should this happen. we got you covered. :thumbu:

giphy.gif

I don't want it. :laugh:

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Oh man, no. That day was message board warfare. It was the minority opinion, but there were definitely others too. That was the day of the "Oh Hextall is never going to take much of a chance" war.

I still think the trade was fine because they didn't take on term and it didn't expose a real asset in the ED. I just don't hate it or think Filppula is a particularly effective player.

I understood putting the Schennter experiment out to pasture, and we acquired him for nothing, and we could *sigh* flip him for a 2nd or something if need be (wouldn't mind still doing that but it's unlikely). My issues were mainly:

1) He isn't actually that good, despite being better than the Schennter. Large cap hit, needed protection (didn't matter in the end).

2) Before our lottery win, I was bothered by the win now/build now approach that seemed like Hextall was trying to have his cake and eat it too. We caught a big break there.

I think he could do better on the wing, but people were laying it on a bit thick with what a good 200 ft center we acquired, another matchup center who can play tough minutes as our 2C. And he was pretty awful here but people kept spinning how good he was because he is the type that just looks skilled.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Some real chatter on NHL radio that one of the guests really felt that Vegas would have the #2 pick come tomorrow night. They apparently love Patrick and will bid hard for him. Expects that they'd offer their 3 firsts

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There's really no downside with it.

At the time we've obviously didn't expect to be adding Patrick/Hischier so the positives were...

Added another top 9 forward.
Schenn stops playing center
Can be our 3C until a prospect is hopefully ready
Contract isn't long enough or expensive enough to hurt our future

That's how I viewed it.

It was a short term patchwork acquisition on top of getting the market value for Streit.

If we did not win a lottery spot, he would be our #3 C....and really the 1st time in years we had 3 centers worth while. Or do people forget Laughton in a scoring C role?

Now he is a 1 year luxury where he can be in the top 9 at C, on the wing, and if an injury occurs, Schenn is still not needed at C.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013

It stopped Schenn being used as a center.

It stopped Streit being used in the top 6.

It meant Bellemare would no longer be used as a 3C.

It lead to Bellemare going unprotected and being claimed in the expansion draft.

It gave the Flyers the 107th and 196th pick.

The Flyers still have $6m in cap space for 17-18 with only a goalie to sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad