Rumor: Trade Rumor Thread IV - "What's all the roar over RoR?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Would you take Perron + for Gaborik?

I would.

Gaborik does not fit here. They should look to get back some young assets for him now.

No system has within it a perfect fit from every player involved. With a player of Gaborik's ability, you have to be able to make an exception.

Notably, Gaborik would be less of a fit in St. Louis's system than ours.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
Is this because he doesn't score goals either?

No, it's because he's terrible on the boards and ***** his pants when he has to have the puck on his stick for more than 3 seconds. Watching Gaborik try to grind down low to appease Torts reminds me of that certain avatar here that was banned

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Where did this accepted mentality of "he scores in bunches" come from? Don't all players score in bunches, or are there other players that managed to score 40 goals and 70-80 points, but do it evenly across 82 games?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Where did this accepted mentality of "he scores in bunches" come from? Don't all players score in bunches, or are there other players that managed to score 40 goals and 70-80 points, but do it evenly across 82 games?
Yes. 0.5 goals every game.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011

Didn't Gaborik have a year where he had I believe a 4 goal game against EDM and a hat trick against NYI? And then proceeded to look brutal. I think this is where that mentality comes from, not saying I agree/disagree

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Didn't Gaborik have a year where he had I believe a 4 goal game against EDM and a hat trick against NYI? And then proceeded to look brutal. I think this is where that mentality comes from, not saying I agree/disagree

Gaborik's concussion year he scored 10 goals in 3 games, and 12 across the other 60. The streaky label is not unwarranted, but we must remember that was a poor year for him. He was more consistent in his 40 goal seasons.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

So people are pissed at the guy for getting a hatty or better? Yeah, he scored 3 goals against the Islanders. We won that game 6-5. Really wish he had spread those goals out over the next few games instead of, you know, helping us win.

That year is also an anomaly for the guy. His worst season post-lockout in terms of points per game.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
So people are pissed at the guy for getting a hatty or better? Yeah, he scored 3 goals against the Islanders. We won that game 6-5. Really wish he had spread those goals out over the next few games instead of, you know, helping us win.

That year is also an anomaly for the guy. His worst season post-lockout in terms of points per game.

I hear you. I think people get frustrated because he has so much ability and only seems to turn it on selectively. See: hat trick against BOS this year, yet has not looked great in another ~15 or so games. I think he's the #1 tradeable asset for this team however we need a bonafide offensive winger coming back the other way.

I would take Perron + 2nd + B level prospect in a heartbeat for Gaborik. Or something along those lines

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Well, so far, this season has been as bad or worse. He leads the team with 7 goals in 18 games, but scored those goals in only 4 games. He only has points in 7 of 18 games. He has 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 13 games.

Sure, if you prorate his numbers over an 82 game season, he'll have 31-32 goals, but is that worth 7.5 mil a year? If he isn't scoring, he's not really helping the team. He's not great along the boards, not great at carrying the puck. He won't kill us defensively, but he's hardly a standout in that area. He's not going to kill penalties.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gabby and I'm not in a rush to ship him out. But neither would I be sad to see him go in the right deal. He's got 1 year left on his contract. It might be a tight squeeze to fit everyone in next year. Who knows if he'll re-sign after that, or if Slats will want to re-sign him. Gabby and Torts have butted heads more than once. At the very least, we should explore the trade market to see what we could get for him.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Well, so far, this season has been as bad or worse. He leads the team with 7 goals in 18 games, but scored those goals in only 4 games. He only has points in 7 of 18 games. He has 2 goals and 2 assists in his last 13 games.

Sure, if you prorate his numbers over an 82 game season, he'll have 31-32 goals, but is that worth 7.5 mil a year? If he isn't scoring, he's not really helping the team. He's not great along the boards, not great at carrying the puck. He won't kill us defensively, but he's hardly a standout in that area. He's not going to kill penalties.

Don't get me wrong, I like Gabby and I'm not in a rush to ship him out. But neither would I be sad to see him go in the right deal. He's got 1 year left on his contract. It might be a tight squeeze to fit everyone in next year. Who knows if he'll re-sign after that, or if Slats will want to re-sign him. Gabby and Torts have butted heads more than once. At the very least, we should explore the trade market to see what we could get for him.

He's coming off of major shoulder surgery, has zero chemistry with a center who has been an offensive black hole, and he's played at least half of his games out of position. Pro-rating makes little sense, especially in a shortened season with all of the underlying factors I just listed.

Faulting Gaborik because he's one dimensional is foolish, IMO. Trading him won't net you a 40 goal scorer, and frankly it's not going to net you a 30 goal scorer who can hit, kill penalties, and do whatever else Gaborik doesn't do. Guys that can score 40 goals are hard to come by. Ones that do all of the little things are even more rare.

If we have to trade him as a cap casualty, that's something I can accept, but trading him for a collection of lesser parts seems like a step backwards. If we want depth, acquire depth, but depth at the expense of a 40 goal scorer seems foolish.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I hear you. I think people get frustrated because he has so much ability and only seems to turn it on selectively. See: hat trick against BOS this year, yet has not looked great in another ~15 or so games. I think he's the #1 tradeable asset for this team however we need a bonafide offensive winger coming back the other way.

I would take Perron + 2nd + B level prospect in a heartbeat for Gaborik. Or something along those lines

He's an opportunistic goal scorer. I don't see it as him being selective. He's just not getting the chances.

Perron would be nice, but I'd want more than just him and a couple futures. Especially with that concussion history. Not to mention I see no reason why St Louis would deal him.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
He's coming off of major shoulder surgery, has zero chemistry with a center who has been an offensive black hole, and he's played at least half of his games out of position. Pro-rating makes little sense, especially in a shortened season with all of the underlying factors I just listed.

Faulting Gaborik because he's one dimensional is foolish, IMO. Trading him won't net you a 40 goal scorer, and frankly it's not going to net you a 30 goal scorer who can hit, kill penalties, and do whatever else Gaborik doesn't do. Guys that can score 40 goals are hard to come by. Ones that do all of the little things are even more rare.

If we have to trade him as a cap casualty, that's something I can accept, but trading him for a collection of lesser parts seems like a step backwards. If we want depth, acquire depth, but depth at the expense of a 40 goal scorer seems foolish.

That is what many would consider Perron's ceiling. He was injured a good portion of last season but scored at .75PPG and does all the little things. Above all, Perron's game fits into this team identity MUCH better than Gaboriks. Perron + would be a return I would be thrilled with so long as the + is adequate.

SupersonicMonkey*

Gaborik has scored 2 goals in the last 13 games.

4 points in 13 games.

Yea, that's really performing...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
That is what many would consider Perron's ceiling. He was injured a good portion of last season but scored at .75PPG and does all the little things. Above all, Perron's game fits into this team identity MUCH better than Gaboriks. Perron + would be a return I would be thrilled with so long as the + is adequate.

All these trades look so wonderful when assuming that the player coming back the other way will reach their ceiling.

Perron wasn't just "injured," he had some very very bad concussion problems.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

He also had a hat trick against Edmonton where the Rangers won 8-2 and 4 goals against the Leafs where we won 7-0. But continue cherry picking.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

Where does the money come from to pay for that depth?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
The nearly $5MM AAV we have available today? The $11M we'll have pro-rated at the deadline? Trading someone who isn't our best goal scoring winger?

Oh, I see. You're under the misconception that I'm talking about trading him now. I never said that. That doesn't mean Slats wouldn't trade him this season, but I was looking more toward the offseason.

Jan 8, 2012
NY
Speaking in hypotheticals, if St. Louis wanted to swap forwards, I'd love TJ Oshie. But that wouldn't happen.

Or Tarasenko. :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad