Rumor: Trade Rumor/Speculation Thread XIX: The Olympic Freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarbaraAlphanse

Theres no quick fix. The Rangers issues at center have been there since the 90's.

I mean that's looking at it with the glass 3/4 empty. We're pretty average this year, middle of the pack. Not bad not good.

Richards was presumed the solution - it's tough to predict a player's massive regression. Up until his last year in Dallas he was definitely worth the money he got.

But if we're going by problems we had starting from the 90s... we had a weak defense, a terrible slew of goalies, and inconsistent wingers and centers.

Now we have - a top 3 goalie, a top 10 defense which can even be top 5 on their best night, and solid wingers that provide balance to all of our lines.

We might not have dominant centers, but they've come a long way with fixing many of the problems that were present with this team.

Fix at center? Trade Brassard and use some assets to trade for a young guy that can fit in for the future.

Stastny @ 7+ makes me want to swan dive off a cliff. Keeping Richards @ his contract would be like a loan officer telling you that your 200k college loans have been forgiven, that you don't have to pay them any longer, and you refusing that offer... Going with Brassard as your 2c is like putting your 10 y/o brother on your travel team when you're 18. He'll be outmatched and overwhelmed.

Either trade for a signed vet that you can depend on or trade up in the draft and get the guy you want to build around for the future. That's the only viable option, imo.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Miller and Lindberg need to be factors at center starting next season. Miller is averaging more than a point per game in the AHL this season. Vigneault finally woke up and put Miller in the middle in JT's last Ranger stint. They need his size. Lindberg had a great year in Sweden last season. It took him 1/2 the season in the AHL to figure out the smaller ice and he has been very good in 2014. 3rd and 4th line centers next season. Both of them have the ablility to be more than that but its a start. Stepan has had a terrible year. He missed camp. He had 2 or 3 practices with the team before the season began. Stepan has never recovered from missing camp. Next season is a huge year for him because he's arb eligible in 2015. He wanted a rich long-term contract last summer. 2015 is his chance. Amnesty Richards. Brassard is arb eligible and one year away from group III. One year contract and he can become a group III next summer. That wouldn't be the worst thing for him. Put pressure on him to perform. Have the Rangers seen enough to commit to more than 1 year for Brass? When Gorton was the Bruins interim GM,he signed Chara and Savard. The Savard signing turned out to be a good signing for Boston. 4 years and $20M. The multiple concussions ended his career. Stastny will cost more than $20M. Draft Dylan Larkin in June. He has the Rangers pedigree. US born. US development team. Michigan in the fall. Erie of the OHL owns his CHL rights. Center. The Rangers need to be patient with Miller and Lindberg.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Link?

Also, I should be keeping a tab of all the people that will owe me 500 vcash in a couple of weeks.

-31-
Stasis
Ail

Anyone else want to contribute virtual money to KJ36?
pls

You don't have the bankroll to make 3 separate 500 Vcash bets.

Please contact my bookie, Pokror McDolon

The Guppie*

Stastny at 7 million would be foolish. If he proved to be the 70-75 point center he was in his first few seasons until now, sure, but he hasn't. Buyer beware here. He should get Pominville/Wheeler money as they were approaching free agency, 5.6'ish.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Miller and Lindberg need to be factors at center starting next season. Miller is averaging more than a point per game in the AHL this season. Vigneault finally woke up and put Miller in the middle in JT's last Ranger stint. They need his size. Lindberg had a great year in Sweden last season. It took him 1/2 the season in the AHL to figure out the smaller ice and he has been very good in 2014. 3rd and 4th line centers next season. Both of them have the ablility to be more than that but its a start. Stepan has had a terrible year. He missed camp. He had 2 or 3 practices with the team before the season began. Stepan has never recovered from missing camp. Next season is a huge year for him because he's arb eligible in 2015. He wanted a rich long-term contract last summer. 2015 is his chance. Amnesty Richards. Brassard is arb eligible and one year away from group III. One year contract and he can become a group III next summer. That wouldn't be the worst thing for him. Put pressure on him to perform. Have the Rangers seen enough to commit to more than 1 year for Brass? When Gorton was the Bruins interim GM,he signed Chara and Savard. The Savard signing turned out to be a good signing for Boston. 4 years and $20M. The multiple concussions ended his career. Stastny will cost more than $20M. Draft Dylan Larkin in June. He has the Rangers pedigree. US born. US development team. Michigan in the fall. Erie of the OHL owns his CHL rights. Center. The Rangers need to be patient with Miller and Lindberg.

Yeah, I don't have that big of a problem going into next season with Stepan-Brassard-Miller/Lindberg-Miller/Lindberg/vet as our 4 centers. The way this team is built, we aren't going to see a bonafide 1st line anyway, even with Stastny here. Would rather upgrade the LW position.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Yeah, I don't have that big of a problem going into next season with Stepan-Brassard-Miller/Lindberg-Miller/Lindberg/vet as our 4 centers. The way this team is built, we aren't going to see a bonafide 1st line anyway, even with Stastny here. Would rather upgrade the LW position.

The problem is that it leaves no one for depth is there is an injury. You'd have to carry a guy like Power or Moore as a 13th forward.

Oh, and our faceoffs would be a leagewide abomination. If we fielded that four all season, we'd be lucky to end at 45%. I'd bet my life saivngs on that.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
The problem is that it leaves no one for depth is there is an injury. You'd have to carry a guy like Power or Moore as a 13th forward.

Oh, and our faceoffs would be a leagewide abomination. If we fielded that four all season, we'd be lucky to end at 45%. I'd bet my life saivngs on that.

Faceoffs may be an issue, true. I agree about keeping a vet presence on the team. It's necessary. If Miller or Lindberg don't make the team, that player becomes depth.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Mark Letestu was the last rookie center to go 50%+. The same year Stepan went 38%.

Rookies always struggle with draws. Brass and Step are almost always under 50%.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007

So bring back Moore. I don't see the problem. We could have him as a winger on the 3rd/4th line who takes draws.

I don't know what Lindberg's faceoff % is in the AHL, but he was excellent in that regard in the SEL. It may take him some time to adjust to the NHL, but long term he should help us in that department.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Not to mention, I think it is a huge mistake to bank on prospects being ready.

I think and hope Miller and Lindberg will be ready. But 100% banking on it is a mistake. See, 2013 Chris Kreider.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
What's the problem with bringing one of Boyle or Moore back for another couple years? Just have them take faceoffs for Lindberg and shift back to wing after the draw.

This team's center depth isn't really as bad as people make it out to be. Do we have a 1C? No, but we do have players that are capable of holding the fort. Stepan could develop into a 1C. Even if he doesn't and stagnates as a solid 2C, we still have Miller and Lindberg, both of whom have similar 2C ceilings. Rolling a bunch of 2Cs isn't the worst thing that could happen. I agree that we should try and develop a big time center prospect, but more than anything, this team needs players who can bury the puck.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Not to mention, I think it is a huge mistake to bank on prospects being ready.

I think and hope Miller and Lindberg will be ready. But 100% banking on it is a mistake. See, 2013 Chris Kreider.

Not exactly apples to apples...Kreider was being thought of as a top 6 LW with minimal NHL experience and a shortened training camp. Miller has shown dominance at the AHL level and would be entering his 3rd training camp.

Punxrocknyc19*

What's the problem with bringing one of Boyle or Moore back for another couple years? Just have them take faceoffs for Lindberg and shift back to wing after the draw.

This team's center depth isn't really as bad as people make it out to be. Do we have a 1C? No, but we do have players that are capable of holding the fort. Stepan could develop into a 1C. Even if he doesn't and stagnates as a solid 2C, we still have Miller and Lindberg, both of whom have similar 2C ceilings. Rolling a bunch of 2Cs isn't the worst thing that could happen. I agree that we should try and develop a big time center prospect, but more than anything, this team needs players who can bury the puck.

this team also needs some size.. size matters in the playoffs as far was wearing down the other team.. outside of Kreider and somewhat Boyle (although does not score at all, still plays a physical game when not falling down) this is not that big of a team...

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Everyone was swooning over J.T. Miller's last stint here at center. He started his shifts almost exclusively in the offensive zone without producing any offense. If he's going to be playing 3rd line center, he had better be defensively competent enough to handle his share of defensive starts so he's not taking offensive opportunities away from Nash/Stepan.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Eh, Lindberg is VERY good at faceoffs. I wouldn't be overly worried about it although I think carrying a 13th forward who is a center is a good idea.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
It benefits the Rangers to take a roster player back in the deal. If you can add Stewart to the lineup, it mitigates some of the offense you lose by sending Callahan the other way. If a player like Fast can then push him out of the lineup this year or next year, great, then you can move Stewart for additional pieces. However, there's no sense in worrying about a player 'blocking a spot' for a prospect until the prospect actually starts challenging for a roster spot. Fast, Lindberg and Miller look like they could be ready next fall, but I don't see the sense in calling them up right now except in case of injury.

NYGBleedBlueNYR

Mar 16, 2010
It benefits the Rangers to take a roster player back in the deal. If you can add Stewart to the lineup, it mitigates some of the offense you lose by sending Callahan the other way. If a player like Fast can then push him out of the lineup this year or next year, great, then you can move Stewart for additional pieces. However, there's no sense in worrying about a player 'blocking a spot' for a prospect until the prospect actually starts challenging for a roster spot. Fast, Lindberg and Miller look like they could be ready next fall, but I don't see the sense in calling them up right now except in case of injury.

But draft picks & prospects are only valuable pieces cuz we can then imagine/debate what they will/can be

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY

That's why if San Jose is going to offer the most if they include Havlat, you do it. He can play now and having him for only one year at that price isn't the worst thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad