Speculation: Trade Proposal Thread v7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
I agree. I stream all my hockey and watch a lot of local feeds, this is empirical and non-scientific but I think the promotions in smaller markets, say a 20 second ad for an upcoming game, feature more hitting and fighting than similar spots in traditional/larger hockey markets. Especially staged fights. there's a whole production protocol for them. So fighting has been transformed into something of a gimmick imo. But yes shootout etc are better examples.

It's because I know what you're saying there, that I guess I have to agree on some level then. I just think it borders on "overly cynical" because fighting legitimately is something that distinguishes it from every other "major" sport (both in its "tolerance" and in the players'/league's relative success vs other sports in terms of association with violence outside of the arena), so it's going to be highlighted.

One problem among many is that some networks/media in some markets are overly sensitive to "promotion of violence" concerns than others. I watch so much hockey on other networks that at this point I can detect which network commentators (i.e. not the "expert" member of a panel) "tow the company line", so to speak, lol, or are allowed more flexibility (I bet anyone would be able to identify a FOX broadcast vs a CBC vs a NBC vs RDS vs Comcast broadcast before long); easily noticed by how they steer those between play conversations, and load questions, etc.

After all, it's legitimate enough to reduce fighting to a "gimmick", if your unwavering (or mandated, on occasion no doubt) public opinion is that fighting shouldn't be in hockey, for example.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Just thinking if we had kept two dmen by resigning one and not trading the other for an overpaid slug.

McDonagh Subban
Markov Beaulieu
Streit Emelin

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If you think Eller has higher trade value than Briere then you should do stand up comedy. Bourque maybe, but if we can get McGinn for Bourque (Who is a center with MUCH better numbers than Eller) then Bourque as well has higher value.

Lol @ you thinking Eller is a good 3rd line center, lol xD

If you don't think Eller as higher trade value than Briere you know absolutely nothing about hockey and you should stop pretending that you do. What a joke.

Another troll added to my IL.

PricerStopDaPuck

Jun 30, 2012
If you don't think Eller as higher trade value than Briere you know absolutely nothing about hockey and you should stop pretending that you do. What a joke.

Another troll added to my IL.

A little off topic but do you know how to do that on your mobile phone?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Don't know I'm allowed posting this on here but I wrote an article a la armchair GM.

http://nhlfiles.wordpress.com/2014/02/15/what-should-montreal-do-at-the-trade-deadline/

Let me know what you guys think.

I am good with your logic on why we ought to look at moving Markov and Gorges, but the return on Markov that you suggest is horrible to me. If we want to hit the window you talk about, with which I agree, you wont do it with those guys. Trade Markov and add pieces if you have to in order to get a Toffoli ( Lombardi must see how great Markov is with Voynov ), or A Silfverberg from Anaheim. For what you have suggested I would keep Markov.

In terms of Gorges, the value back in McGinn is there and I would love to have that kind of player here, he would be great with a high skill guy playing the other wing.

Issue with the combination of trading Markov and Gorges is the huge hole created on D by losing 2 of our top 3. Saying we could patch it up through UFAs is high risk because you don't know who will actually be available and out of desperation you might sign a guy to a ridiculous contract because hes the closest thing to a top 3 out there, when hes borderline 4. You cant do this, too high risk.

Now if LA really was nuts about Markov, I would offer Gorges, Markov, Gionta ( to fill on the RW for the play-offs ), Colberg or other good prospect and our 1st in 2014 for Muzzin and Toffoli. If you want to keep Gorges, then Markov, Gionta and 1st for Toffoli.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Bournival-White-Weise

I think when it's all said and done, this is what the line-up should look like. Moen + Bourque off our payroll is 5 extra mil to spend next summer. Depth is great, but let's roll with the kids and build this team for the future.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Pacioretty-Desharnais-Gallagher
Briere-Plekanec-Gionta
Galchenyuk-Eller-Prust
Bournival-White-Weise

I think when it's all said and done, this is what the line-up should look like. Moen + Bourque off our payroll is 5 extra mil to spend next summer. Depth is great, but let's roll with the kids and build this team for the future.

My only change would be Gionta. I think it's pretty obvious he's no longer effective offensively and I think I'd take a chance on guys like: Setoguchi, Penner, Kulemin, Pouliot, or Raymond.... maybe even Euro FA's like :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Suri, Lehtera, or Komarov. I think Bournival is ready for top-9 duty. We've also got Andrighetto, Leblanc, and Thomas waiting in the wings.

Pacioretty-Desharnais-XXXX
Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher
Briere-Plekanec-Bournival
Prust-White-Weise

We know the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines have good chemistry. It's all about finding us a top line.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I am good with your logic on why we ought to look at moving Markov and Gorges, but the return on Markov that you suggest is horrible to me. If we want to hit the window you talk about, with which I agree, you wont do it with those guys. Trade Markov and add pieces if you have to in order to get a Toffoli ( Lombardi must see how great Markov is with Voynov ), or A Silfverberg from Anaheim. For what you have suggested I would keep Markov.

In terms of Gorges, the value back in McGinn is there and I would love to have that kind of player here, he would be great with a high skill guy playing the other wing.

Issue with the combination of trading Markov and Gorges is the huge hole created on D by losing 2 of our top 3. Saying we could patch it up through UFAs is high risk because you don't know who will actually be available and out of desperation you might sign a guy to a ridiculous contract because hes the closest thing to a top 3 out there, when hes borderline 4. You cant do this, too high risk.

Now if LA really was nuts about Markov, I would offer Gorges, Markov, Gionta ( to fill on the RW for the play-offs ), Colberg or other good prospect and our 1st in 2014 for Muzzin and Toffoli. If you want to keep Gorges, then Markov, Gionta and 1st for Toffoli.

That's why I brought up the possibility of doing the Gorges deal in the off-season, in case Gilbert and Greene re-sign with their respective teams and what not. As for the Markov package I guess it depends. I wanted to bring a realistic proposal that I could see happening. I could see a bottom 6 consisting of: Bournival - Eller - Wilson, Moen/Prust - White - UFA (or McCarrron/Crisp?) 2-3 years from now. I'm one of those guys who shares the philosophy that depth wins you championship a la LA Kings or Boston Bruins. I would rather target guys who both bring different elements than have a team who consist of guys who all play the same type of game.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010
My only change would be Gionta. I think it's pretty obvious he's no longer effective offensively and I think I'd take a chance on guys like: Setoguchi, Penner, Kulemin, Pouliot, or Raymond.... maybe even Euro FA's like :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Suri, Lehtera, or Komarov. I think Bournival is ready for top-9 duty. We've also got Andrighetto, Leblanc, and Thomas waiting in the wings.

Prust-White-Weise

We know the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines have good chemistry. It's all about finding us a top line.

We need a top line scorer. If only Evander Kane could be traded to us it would be perfect.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011

Prust-White-Weise

You have a problem when DD is your #1 center.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
We need a top line scorer. If only Evander Kane could be traded to us it would be perfect.

We can't trade for one or sign one without taking a big risk so I think it will be scoring by committee until Galchenyuk and co. develop. I think getting Gallagher off that line will help him produce, we just need a role player to fill his spot.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

Prust-White-Weise

would help having our best C there... :shakehead

Feb 20, 2012
Calgary

I hope you are kidding. You are suggesting we trade our 1st, Collberg, and Markov for Toffoli? How about Markov for Toffoli and their 1st? If they say no then move on. These are horrible proposals.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
You have a problem when DD is your #1 center.

Not much we can do about that. He plays well with Pacioretty and produces... we know he's not going anywhere. We also know Plekanec plays very well in his #2 defensive role and with Briere and Bournival. If Galchenyuk-Eller-Gallagher can act as a third 2nd line, and I think they can, then we're all good. In essence, they're all 2nd lines.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Just thinking if we had kept two dmen by resigning one and not trading the other for an overpaid slug.

McDonagh Subban
Markov Beaulieu
Streit Emelin

It wouldn't be smart to be paying Streit big money to play 3rd pair, plus Gorges is a better player than him right now. Emelin also...that's a 9 mil 3rd pair.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Gorges is worth a lot more than McGinn 1 for 1. 22 minute d-man that is good defensively and on Pk is easily worth more than a 3rd liner.

Trading Gorges and Markov and trying to replace them with UFA's is dumb, because to get a similar player would cost about 1 mil more/yaer than the player you lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad