Proposal: Trade Proposal Thread: Part LXIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I see it’s a forgone conclusion, that Price won’t pull a Lundqvist and not want to move

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
Price can put a team over the top, but goalies traditionally have lower trade value compared to skaters. Maybe one top prospect or first round pick, a b-level and a cap dump for Price, but we aren’t cleaning out another team’s cupboards.

Can we think of any comparable goalie that has been traded in the modern NHL? I know Roy was trade, but that always felt like we were fleeced. Same for Hasek.

Honestly, unless all we want is cap space, I don’t see the advantage of trading Price. He is elite, loves the city, and we need a goalie.

Also, why help another team win the Stanley cup if it doesn’t help us out for the future.

I don’t move Price unless it improves our future.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I know. It's just what i think we would need to do if we want to trade him for something decent.

But 1 thing i don't agree with you is retaining for 4 years would be problematic. Not if we rebuild. I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be a problem for at least 2-3 years. Maybe for the 4th years it could cause problem but alot of things can happen in 4 years and let's not forget, Petry, Savard, Drouin and Armia will probably be all gone just before that 4th year, which is about 20M$ less in salary.
Having lots of cap space is an important part of rebuilding. You can take on bad contracts and get paid 1st for the pleasure. Look at Carolina with Marleau and got Jarvis. Also the ability to sign UFAs knowing you’ll be trading them at the deadline for more picks and prospects. Many examples but eating that cap can cost you when rebuilding. Just not worth eating that much salary.

Reactions: Benstheman

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Can we think of any comparable goalie that has been traded in the modern NHL? I know Roy was trade, but that always felt like we were fleeced. Same for Hasek.

Honestly, unless all we want is cap space, I don’t see the advantage of trading Price. He is elite, loves the city, and we need a goalie.

Also, why help another team win the Stanley cup if it doesn’t help us out for the future.

Moving him means we lose more games and get a higher draft choice helping the future. Whether he's on the top of his game or not Price is a better option than anyone we'll roll out there. Unless they plan on competing sooner than later Price will be the difference from drafting in the top 3 vs just the top 10

I love the guy and will be sad to see him go but it would be best for everyone if we're really looking to do a full rebuild

Last edited:

Kosseca

Feb 23, 2020

Brodeur come to mind here, but not sure not sure what was Brodeur health and level of play at the time.

One thing that you wont find a comparable is his contract. That alone create a unique dynamic in trade discussions. While I have no doubt that Price would be of interest to certain team, the unknown of his health and level of play "right now" and his contract create a very difficult framework of discussion.

i have a feeling that Price may not/will not be traded during the season.
1. seems obvious to me that he wants to go to the Olympics, so this may drive his return to play, but given all he lived recently, does he still want to play beyond? If Weber is done, his health is spotty, maybe he retires or go on LTIR... Gorton and the new GM will have to check where is head space is at before making a trade, because a trade may not be needed here to get the cap space back.
2. more flex to trade him in the summer... that's obvious. Any deal right now see MTL eating salary for a long time or take a bad contract. If your the GM, you want to take the smalless financial commitment possible in a trade and this may be only achievable this summer.

All that to say, i dont think Price is the 1st player out of here.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Even if we are willing to retain 50% of Price's contact, no GM will trade for him without actually seeing him healthy and playing well. That's still a 5 year commitment to a 34-year old, injury plagued goalie at $5,25M.

Also, people don't seem to realize what taking on $5,25M of dead cap for 5 years really means. A freak injury to Anderson, depriving him of his ability to skate, and you're absolutely screwed.

The return would have to be pretty frigging amazing and who's prepared to pay that?

Reactions: MilesNewton

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
What do you guys think about claiming Evander Kane?
I think he needs to do some time in the AHL to be honest let him light it up there ride a bus and realize what real life is. Could be the best thing for him. He is hard to touch to be honest could see him going to Europe or Russia for part of his redemption tour. I don't think the Habs management could handle him and the media would be relentless.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
Even if we are willing to retain 50% of Price's contact, no GM will trade for him without actually seeing him healthy and playing well. That's still a 5 year commitment to a 34-year old, injury plagued goalie at $5,25M.

Also, people don't seem to realize what taking on $5,25M of dead cap for 5 years really means. A freak injury to Anderson, depriving him of his ability to skate, and you're absolutely screwed.

The return would have to be pretty frigging amazing and who's prepared to pay that?
Not putting him in the same category as bobby Ryan but both had/ have massive contracts its a risk/reward factor so I would think a change of scenery could be the best thing if someone will take the bait

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007
Only comparabal goalie contract that was traded might be Luongo to Florida.

Seems more likely they just send him to Weber on LTIR as soon as possible.

MilesNewton

Jul 7, 2019
I think that by seeing what player movement happens it would let people know if the team is for sale or not?
Somehow they are going to have to grind out some wins if that is the case.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Hope my man Gorton starts throwing blockbuster player dumps before the GM even comes in...SELL SELL SELL

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC

Right there with you. With all due respect to Price's gamebreaking ability, I don't see how the investment isn't so substantial (including for us!) that I'd look somewhere else before trading for him, even if we eat a portion of his salary. Man, eating cap for 4-5 years is a lot and posters here offer to do it left and right.

Reactions: Archijerej

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
What are the odds we might see a trade in the coming weeks?
Change in management in the NHL is the same as in any jitter company. He’ll take time to assess, put a plan and execute. Imagine it’ll be busy at the deadline and before draft but not much before then as he’s busy with other pressing matters now.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
Change in management in the NHL is the same as in any jitter company. He’ll take time to assess, put a plan and execute. Imagine it’ll be busy at the deadline and before draft but not much before then as he’s busy with other pressing matters now.
i agree, though i expect internal changes quickly, many CC back in laval, Norlinder back europe.RP and Evans, getting a lot more ice time then they getting now. Except if Dom renegades, but he ballless, so dont expect that

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
i agree, though i expect internal changes quickly, many CC back in laval, Norlinder back europe.RP and Evans, getting a lot more ice time then they getting now. Except if Dom renegades, but he ballless, so dont expect that

I'd expect DD to end the year here before getting fired. Most coaching candidates come at the end of the season or close to it. Besides, DD is doing a great job of tanking. Why ruin it now? :)

Jul 6, 2016
Hope my man Gorton starts throwing blockbuster player dumps before the GM even comes in...SELL SELL SELL

No. He won't do it. That's a GM job. He will evaluate with the new GM every aspects of the organisations , and TOGETHER they will decide who stays and who goes.

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
I'd expect DD to end the year here before getting fired. Most coaching candidates come at the end of the season or close to it. Besides, DD is doing a great job of tanking. Why ruin it now? :)
excactly, what i meant, is he rebels, and refuse to play the youngsters, thus they will be obliged to oust him early

BozoTheClown

Jul 10, 2021
Yes!
What is the point of waiting to find a “GM” if you have the chance to improve the team’s future now.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
I would rather keep Price for now if the best we can get back is a late 1st.
Price should have more value in a couple of years when he has less terms remaining and where retaining salary makes more sense for us.
He likely won't hurt the tank much considering his regular-season stats the previous years are not good.

Jul 6, 2016
I would rather keep Price for now if the best we can get back is a late 1st.
Price should have more value in a couple of years when he has less terms remaining and where retaining salary makes more sense for us.
He likely won't hurt the tank much considering his regular-season stats the previous years are not good.

Price can't and won't be traded until he is as healthy as possible nmentally and physically and has played few good games to show it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad