Speculation: Trade Proposal - Central Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
Gallagher had a hand injury this year, and so his production was down for a large part of the year.

I realize that, but it doesn't change my opinion. Shaw also battled concussions this year.

Gallagher just doesn't have the tools to impose himself offensively. He's too easily overmatched physically and doesn't have the speed to pressure the defense. He's not a playmaker and doesn't have a remarkable shot. He scores off lucky bounces and jam plays. Those goals are great, but they're the kind of goals that Shaw can score in similar situations. Don't get me wrong, I think Gallagher is better offensively (although I like Shaw's overall game better), but the difference is narrower than I think many acknowledge.

Again, if we have the chance to parlay Gallagher into a decent C, it is a no brainer.

Tankster*

Jun 18, 2016
St Jean (US export)
I realize that, but it doesn't change my opinion. Shaw also battled concussions this year.

Gallagher just doesn't have the tools to impose himself offensively. He's too easily overmatched physically and doesn't have the speed to pressure the defense. He's not a playmaker and doesn't have a remarkable shot. He scores off lucky bounces and jam plays. Those goals are great, but they're the kind of goals that Shaw can score in similar situations. Don't get me wrong, I think Gallagher is better offensively (although I like Shaw's overall game better), but the difference is narrower than I think many acknowledge.

Again, if we have the chance to parlay Gallagher into a decent C, it is a no brainer.

People said that about Brad Marchand too, good thing the Bruins didn't listen to the people that don't know what they are talking about.

Gallagher was injured, he is a warrior. Love the kid and i'm glad, so do the Habs.

He is staying put.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
That's not true.

Last year Gallagher scored 29 points in 64 games; Shaw scored 29 points in 68 games. Shaw "can only dream" of Gallagher-like production? He scored the same number of points in only 4 more games with less offensive opportunities! Shaw's all-round game is also better (again IMO).

I admit, my opinion is probably not going to be popular around here, but I'm just not a fan of Gallagher. Effort can only take you take you so far in the best league in the world and teams have begun to figure him out. If we can parlay Gally into a good C like Duchene it is a no brainer IMO.

When I said last year I meant the 15/16 season, Gallagher got 40 points in 53 GP.

29 points are this year, and he clearly had a bad season, his worst season in his young career. I expect him to rebound next season and get around 50 points if he can manage to stay healthy. I think there's definitely a place for a guy like Gally on any team in the league. When the game gets tight and it's tough to score he can be a game-breaker as he goes to the net relentlessly.

lamp9post

Jan 28, 2007
When I said last year I meant the 15/16 season, Gallagher got 40 points in 53 GP.

29 points are this year, and he clearly had a bad season, his worst season in his young career. I expect him to rebound next season and get around 50 points if he can manage to stay healthy. I think there's definitely a place for a guy like Gally on any team in the league. When the game gets tight and it's tough to score he can be a game-breaker as he goes to the net relentlessly.

I agree with your the bolded. Gallagher could be a 2nd/3rd RW on practically any team in the league and I don't think he's a bad player. But the Habs have a greater need for more talent (particularly at C) than they do for what Gallagher brings (which, as I mentioned earlier can largely be replaced by Shaw). On a team like Pittsburgh with two all star C's, Gallagher would be an amazing fit. We have Plekanec and Danault. As a whole we're just too easy to defend against and yes, Gallagher is part of the problem given his limited tools and limited talent. We have guys that can go to the net, maybe not with the same zeal as Gallagher, but when you struggle to score as we do, increasing talent must be a higher priority than that.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
The Gallagher hand injury has always been a cheap excuse to avoid admitting he had a awful season. He was struggling a long time before he got injured on Jan 4th. He was deep into his slump before he got injured. 2 goals in 33 games and that includes getting 1st unit PP minutes the whole season.

Obviously the trend continued when he came back but he was healthy for a over half the season. The injury slowed him down further but it was already considered a bad season before he got hit by Shea Weber's slapshot.

The way I see it, if we can get a valuable player for him I wouldn't mind trading him. Until proven otherwise he's a 40 point player but his good reputation could help us fetch a skilled player.

We badly need a center and like mentionned previously, I also believe Andrew Shaw can replace him. We need to seriously evalute Gallagher's contribution to the team going forward. His offensive production this season has raised a few question marks and I think he can be used to improve our center position.

He plays a hard style of hockey, how long will his body hold up to this type of abuse? 4 years at his current salary might sound great now but will it be the same if he struggles again next season? I don't want to be stuck with him if he struggles again.

He currently still has good value around the league and I'm sure a lot of teams are ready to overpay for him even after his bad season, If he's the main piece to get us a guy like Matt Duschene, I would do it and never think back.

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
Habs desperately need more play makers. Two at centre and one as a top-4 LD. Too many guys that lack offensive IQ and creativity.

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Just to be clear, Montreal last offensive forward was this man:

getty_akovalev.jpg

I believe he was our last PPG player ... that's since like 2008? ALMOST 10 YEARS!

Montreal has been in a deep lethargy of offensive players. We suck. Plain and simple.
We need to blow this team up. Change the philosophy. Larry Robinson want a NHL job. Give the man the GM position.

Btw, Gallagher is not a top 6 winger. He wont put up 60 pts ever. Maybe not even 50 pts.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Just to be clear, Montreal last offensive forward was this man:

getty_akovalev.jpg

I believe he was our last PPG player ... that's since like 2008? ALMOST 10 YEARS!

Montreal has been in a deep lethargy of offensive players. We suck. Plain and simple.
We need to blow this team up. Change the philosophy. Larry Robinson want a NHL job. Give the man the GM position.

Btw, Gallagher is not a top 6 winger. He wont put up 60 pts ever. Maybe not even 50 pts.

The league has changed buddy! PPG is in the past!

Since 2012/13 season you have only 4 players that were able to be ppg+ , Crosby, McDavid, Kane and Malkin!

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
LW: Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen
RW: Radulov, Gallagher, Shaw, Byron
C: Danault, Plekanec, Mitchell

To me this is as clear as day, we need 2 top 6 centers. If Radulov is back, then either Gallagher or Shaw can be bait for that center. I think Gallagher has more value than Shaw so teams would ask for Gallagher.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Since 2012/13 season you have only 4 players that were able to be ppg+ , Crosby, McDavid, Kane and Malkin!

You mean overall, or single season? Because for any single season, lots of players were PPG. And even overall, you have a whole bunch of players that are above 0.95 PPG, so it's not like PPG is an impossible feat.

The Habs should have a near PPG forward. Not literally PPG, but near. Closest we have is Pacio at 0.83 and then I guess it's Galchenyuk around 0.6. That's ridiculous.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011

That's right Belial: the nice things in life aren't for us. We just have to be happy with Donut Danault as our first line center. What an inspiring story that would be!

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
We can trade Gallagher as long as:

#1 It gets us a critically missing piece (Center, top LH PMD or top LW if we traded Captain Ghostship).
#2 We replace him with a top 9 that can play crash & bang style. (That's somewhat common imho)

cap10bfl

Apr 18, 2007
Laval, Qc
LW: Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen
RW: Radulov, Gallagher, Shaw, Byron
C: Danault, Plekanec, Mitchell

To me this is as clear as day, we need 2 top 6 centers. If Radulov is back, then either Gallagher or Shaw can be bait for that center. I think Gallagher has more value than Shaw so teams would ask for Gallagher.

This! And i would add hudon to the lw mix

We need to do 3 things:
Resign Radulov
Trade Pacio/Chucky + for a top center
Trade picks and/or Gallagher for a 2C

Clear as day

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
Anyone who argued that Gallagher is not a top-six player has a very weak understanding of hockey.

It's not the 1980s anymore.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Gallagher is one of three forwards that gave a **** during the playoffs. I'd trade the captain before him.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
and still had only 1 goal and 3 points because he doesn't have the skills require to be a top 6 player.

That's more than Max.

And yes he has enough skill to be a 2nd liner. Don't pretend that he's interchangeable with someone like Byron. He adds more value.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Trading Gally !! It is not happening folks. Please keep moving, nothing to see here.:D

All depends on who we trade him for. Gally is already warn like a 30 year old the way he plays and has had two season where he has played 53 and 64 games... missing time with a wrist injury. How many full seasons can he play? I say he has many years of injuries based on his style of play.

I think we all agree with you that Gally is one of our best and hardest working wingers. However, we can replace him on the winger easier than we can get a top 2 center. It's clear as day that we are not taking the next step and going on deep playoff runs if we don't improve our centers.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What would it take to get the Sedin brothers in Vancouver? Pleky, +, + go the other way type of package. It would be a UFA rental but might improve our offense? thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad