Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
We can always have Spurgeon with a depth guy and Brodin with another depth guy... and fill in the gap on those pairs shifting Dumba with Brodin on occasion and Suter with Spurgeon on occasion...

Suter - Dumba
Seeler/Brodin - Spurgeon/Pateryn
Brodin/Seeler - Pateryn/Spurgeon
I think I'd still rather run it the way it is, because Suter/Spurgeon is still a great pairing. I do wish they would spot Dumba with Suter more often to boost the offense though. And Dumba flat out needs to be on PP1

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I think the board has been in the heat too long and needs to go sit in the icebox.

Dumba is better than Spurgeon, suddenly Suter has an amazing breakout pass, Brodin is a step below Stoner when handling the puck?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Yeah, but imagine if every time Spurgeon dug the puck out the corner and threw it to Suter, if Suter just three it right back to him?

Having said that I won't deny that Dumba still makes some incredibly bad decisions with the puck.

Yeah, Spurgeon definitely has the benefit of playing with one of the best in the league at breaking the puck out of the zone. However, Spurgeon definitely held his own when he played with Scandella. Also, I think Spurgeon is underrated when it comes to carrying the puck out of the zone, which we see him do a lot on the PP.

Nonetheless, we've got 2 really good RHDs and we're in a very good position with Toronto right now. We'll see what happens. I think we're definitely gonna miss whoever we trade, but I think it's the right move if we can get someone back like Faulk.

Reactions: 2Pair

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I think I'd still rather run it the way it is, because Suter/Spurgeon is still a great pairing. I do wish they would spot Dumba with Suter more often to boost the offense though. And Dumba flat out needs to be on PP1
As good as that Suter/Dumba pair was, I want to find a way to make that full time sooner rather than later!

I'm sure Brodin and Spurgeon will be given another go in camp if Suter is healthy in time like they said they expect.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think the board has been in the heat too long and needs to go sit in the icebox.

Dumba is better than Spurgeon, suddenly Suter has an amazing breakout pass, Brodin is a step below Stoner when handling the puck?
If Suter being great on the breakout is news to you? Not much else can be said

Reactions: Mancini79

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yeah, Spurgeon definitely has the benefit of playing with one of the best in the league at breaking the puck out of the zone. However, Spurgeon definitely held his own when he played with Scandella. Also, I think Spurgeon is underrated when it comes to carrying the puck out of the zone, which we see him do a lot on the PP.

Nonetheless, we've got 2 really good RHDs and we're in a very good position with Toronto right now. We'll see what happens. I think we're definitely gonna miss whoever we trade, but I think it's the right move if we can get someone back like Faulk.
Just to be clear- I am in no way trying to say that Spurgeon isn't a great dman. I think he's easily a top 30 guy. I just think that Dumba is much closer to him than anyone gives him credit for. And, I think he's gaining on Spurgeon, quickly.

Reactions: TaLoN

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

It's pretty well known league wide that Suter is an elite breakout passer.

Reactions: Mancini79

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Suter being great on the breakout is news to you? Not much else can be said

He's not, his main thing is give the puck to Spurgeon and let him make a play. Just like Suter is great on the PP, and he's really not.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
He's not, his main thing is give the puck to Spurgeon and let him make a play. Just like Suter is great on the PP, and he's really not.
And now I know any conversation with you about Dmen isn't worth the time. Holy shit is that a terrible take.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And now I know any conversation with you about Dmen isn't worth the time. Holy **** is that a terrible take.

Brodin is a flaming pile of hot garbage and the cause of all the Wild's woes, Dumba is suddenly better than Spurgeon, and Suter is good to have on the PP. That's your take on the Wild's d-corps?

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Brodin is a flaming pile of hot garbage and the cause of all the Wild's woes, Dumba is suddenly better than Spurgeon, and Suter is good to have on the PP. That's your take on the Wild's d-corps?
When did anyone call Brodin a pile of garbage and the cause of all the Wild's woes?
It was said Dumba may be better than Spurgeon by seasons end... which IS a possibility

Reactions: Mancini79 and 2Pair

Wabit

May 23, 2016
When did anyone call Brodin a pile of garbage and the cause of all the Wild's woes?
It was said Dumba may be better than Spurgeon by seasons end... which IS a possibility

Well Brodin can't make a pass, offers 0 offense, needs his partner to bail him out of the d-zone; that's what has been said. Implied that Dumba carried him kicking and screaming in the Playoffs as a partner.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Brodin can make a pass, but plays ultra conservative with the puck and tends to defer the breakout. He doesn't have a natural feel for the offensive side ofthe game, relying on his partner greatly in those situations.

As for the playoffs, it was said he looked out of place on the top pair trying to fill Suter's shoes... Dumba was said to look decent but not great on that same top pair sans Suter.

Nothing said about anyone carrying anyone.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Brodin can make a pass, but plays ultra conservative with the puck and tends to defer the breakout. He doesn't have a natural feel for the offensive side ofthe game, relying on his partner greatly in those situations.

As for the playoffs, it was said he looked out of place on the top pair trying to fill Suter's shoes... Dumba was said to look decent but not great on that same top pair sans Suter.

Nothing said about anyone carrying anyone.
To be fair- I said that Brodin was terrible in the playoffs. And I stand behind that statement.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
BUF gets 1st in 19, 2nd in 21, Tage Thompson, Vladimir Sobotka,Patrick Betglund for Ryan O’Reilly. No salary retained. STL pays ROR signing bonus.

From Bobby Mack

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
To be fair- I said that Brodin was terrible in the playoffs. And I stand behind that statement.
I'm not completely disagreeing, I'm just saying in a top pair role, he is out of place without a Suter caliber player next to him.

Dumba didn't look great either, but he at least looked decent and not out of place on the top pair sans Suter.

Did Dumba carry Brodin? No, because they weren't good enough as a top pair overall. Did Dumba at least hold his own? I'd say yes, but unfortunately we actually needed him to have the ability to carry his partner. Tough ask on a 23yro still working on improving his own game to get to that level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad