Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency X

Status
Not open for further replies.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, I get the whole 'respect' thing, but usually teams that have declared a full rebuild trade their vets, not their 23 year old stud defensemen. That's what I meant by 'backwards'.

Unless they need to shed money. If OEL is on the block, it's going to cost a LOT but as well, it sheds some money.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Yeah, I get the whole 'respect' thing, but usually teams that have declared a full rebuild trade their vets, not their 23 year old stud defensemen. That's what I meant by 'backwards'.

Maloney also said he only wants people there that want to be there, and Doan is probably the only guy in the league who wants to be in Arizona.

Add in the fact that he's been their C forever, and the respect thing, and he's an easy untouchable. I don't think it's backwards to keep him there. It'd be backwards if they only traded their younger guys.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
Maloney also said he only wants people there that want to be there, and Doan is probably the only guy in the league who wants to be in Arizona.

Add in the fact that he's been their C forever, and the respect thing, and he's an easy untouchable. I don't think it's backwards to keep him there. It'd be backwards if they only traded their younger guys.

But he's one of the few people who could fetch a decent return that you know, without any doubt, won't be on the team by the time they matter. I understand why they want to keep him around, I just don't agree with it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
How is what Minnesota did with Nolan any different than what the Coyotes are doing with Doan?

Last edited by a moderator:

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It isn't. Except we hadn't exactly declared a full-fledged rebuild, as they seem to have. Also, I think Doan could currently bring in a better return than what Nolan would've (say, a 2nd and B prospect vs. 4th or 5th rounder). Unless my memory is failing me and there was a bigger market for him than what I remember.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
How is what Minnesota did with Nolan any different than what the Coyotes are doing with Doan?

Well, first of all Doan is first all-time for points in Coyotes history and has been their captain for 12 years now. He's played the most games in a Coyotes sweater in franchise history. He has 862 points in 1315 games for the Coyotes. He has never played for another team in his entire professional career. He is literally the embodiment of Coyotes hockey.

Nolan played two seasons here and never really made a huge impact beyond being a middle six player. Sure, he scored 25 goals his first season here but...he only had 45 points. And between the two seasons he scored 88 points in 132 games.

I would say that in and of itself is a pretty large difference. Not to mention what Doan has done for hockey in the state of Arizona and how he has represented them for years and years through thick and thin. Nolan never had a history with the Wild to establish himself as someone worth worrying about several years after the fact that he left and retired.

this providence

Chips in Bed Theorem
Oct 19, 2008
St. Paul

It's the idea that missing out on potentially getting a mid round pick, at best, several years after the fact is so worthy of repeating over and over year after year is what's humorous.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Well, first of all Doan is first all-time for points in Coyotes history and has been their captain for 12 years now. He's played the most games in a Coyotes sweater in franchise history. He has 862 points in 1315 games for the Coyotes. He has never played for another team in his entire professional career. He is literally the embodiment of Coyotes hockey.

Nolan played two seasons here and never really made a huge impact beyond being a middle six player. Sure, he scored 25 goals his first season here but...he only had 45 points. And between the two seasons he scored 88 points in 132 games.

I would say that in and of itself is a pretty large difference. Not to mention what Doan has done for hockey in the state of Arizona and how he has represented them for years and years through thick and thin. Nolan never had a history with the Wild to establish himself as someone worth worrying about several years after the fact that he left and retired.

i can't believe he even asked how it was different.

but we totally missed out by not drafting Daniel Catenacci.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It's the idea that missing out on potentially getting a mid round pick, at best, several years after the fact is so worthy of repeating over and over year after year is what's humorous.

Because Fletcher continues to do the same damn thing. If it wasn't Nolan, it was Brunette and Mitts. It was Cullen (though admittedly we didn't have the depth but that was on Fletcher and how he built the team). It was Kobasew. Furthermore, Fletcher's drafting was supposed to be one of his strengths coming into the organization, so a mid-round pick could have potentially given this team some depth. Either Fletcher suck at drafting or he doesn't know how to build a roster.

Both Nolan and Doan were veterans. Both clubs asked respectively if they want to be traded. Both declined. In the sense of Doan, it makes more sense. In the sense of Nolan, it doesn't as for your reasons here. Ultimately though, both clubs respected the wishes of long time veterans. It actually makes more sense that Doan didn't want to be traded than Nolan. Hence why not moving Doan is the same as Nolan. Both of them are veteran players, both organizations asked if they could be traded, both declined.

It isn't. Except we hadn't exactly declared a full-fledged rebuild, as they seem to have. Also, I think Doan could currently bring in a better return than what Nolan would've (say, a 2nd and B prospect vs. 4th or 5th rounder). Unless my memory is failing me and there was a bigger market for him than what I remember.

Nolan had a bit of a market. We weren't rebuilding but we were retooling. A guy like Nolan could have brought in probably a 2nd rounder or 3rd simply because of who he was. At any point, there was a market for Nolan because of him being a veteran.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
but we totally missed out by not drafting Daniel Catenacci.

Yep, we totally missed out on a guy like Wedgewood or a guy like Gudas or a guy like Weal or a guy like Bournival. We're not talking about drafting the next Gaborik. We're talking about drafting a solid depth player that gives the Wild some flexibility in the future or at the draft to make further trades in the future. Because our prospect depth and our ability to tinker with the roster is so great right now.

It's always great to watch players walk at the end of their contract (like Gaborik) without getting anything in return. That's how you build a successful roster is turning assets into nothing!

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Every team doesn't get something for every free agent that they have. I like mid-round picks, I think having more of them is better than having less, but I can't get bent out of shape for every 4th or 5th round pick that we don't get.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
well i guess if you get like 7 or 8 picks in rounds 3-5 your odds of getting a useful player go up. so there's that. oh, what might have been.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'd actually be a little disappointed if we don't move Brodziak out at the deadline, no matter where we are in the standings; I think he'd get us a top 90 pick, and since we traded ours for Dubnyk, I'd like to get it back. Since it appears Coyle is going to stay at center, my ideal bottom 6 would be this:

Nino - Coyle - Fontaine/Schroeder
Cooke - Carter - Fontaine/Sutter

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
I'd actually be a little disappointed if we don't move Brodziak out at the deadline, no matter where we are in the standings; I think he'd get us a top 90 pick, and since we traded ours for Dubnyk, I'd like to get it back. Since it appears Coyle is going to stay at center, my ideal bottom 6 would be this:

Looks good to me - and there is always Haula to consider if injuries throw a wrench into it.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Every team doesn't get something for every free agent that they have. I like mid-round picks, I think having more of them is better than having less, but I can't get bent out of shape for every 4th or 5th round pick that we don't get.

You're right they don't but it didn't even like Minnesota even tried. When Riser knew the organization was going to the playoffs after 02-03, he had a huge fire sale. Yeah he didn't get much but he at least moved guys and got a bunch of late round picks.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota

This. This is good stuff.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Apparently our GM is at the Minnesota/Vancouver game. It's unlikely that we're trading with Van IMO, in your opinions would any of Nino, Coyle or Dumba be available? If so what kind of players does your team need? Thanks!

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
Nino highly doubtful, Coyle only over coach Yeo's dead body if his mancrush is any indication. Dumba perhaps for the right overpayment.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Nino highly doubtful, Coyle only over coach Yeo's dead body if his mancrush is any indication. Dumba perhaps for the right overpayment.

Thanks. In order or preference my list would be Coyle-Nino-Dumba. Are you guys looking to be buyers at the deadline? What is your team likely shopping for?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think the most reasonable thing we'd want is a tough #5 D. And that wouldn't send any of those guys the other way. Otherwise we need a 1C, but you're not trading RNH and we're not giving up that much for one in the middle of the year.

^ Yeah, a great C prospect would do too, but again I don't see that happening during the season.

Nharris31

Aug 9, 2013
Thanks. In order or preference my list would be Coyle-Nino-Dumba. Are you guys looking to be buyers at the deadline? What is your team likely shopping for?

If your an oilers fan? a Jeff Petry would be nice for the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad