Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency VIII - 2014 Free Agency Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Just say "isn't great away from the puck". Luckily experience can somewhat replace instinctual ability to read the ice and he has the wheels to make up for more lapses in judgement than most players can afford. If he makes it to the opening night roster I think it'll be because he's learned the value of dialing it down a little instead of being stuck WOT all night.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
prov i have great respect for your opinion however i have seen forwards like koivu & cullen & walz make a big diff in the defensive zone. they may be the exceptions and they were centers.

Thats his point, most wingers don't have much of an effect on the d zone play. lots of Centers do, because they play low.

Although I do disagree with him when he says there isn't a winger in the league that effects the d zone. Very few have a noticable difference, but a couple do. Hossa, Parise, Justin Williams. There are a handful. But most don't have a noticable effect on d zone play.

tomthestone*

Thats his point, most wingers don't have much of an effect on the d zone play. lots of Centers do, because they play low.

Although I do disagree with him when he says there isn't a winger in the league that effects the d zone. Very few have a noticable difference, but a couple do. Hossa, Parise, Justin Williams. There are a handful. But most don't have a noticable effect on d zone play.

Yeah I think the original point was that no matter how well a wing plays in his own zone, the value that adds over a poor defensive wing is minimal. I can see how that might ring true, as most of the regular (top nine) wings in the league probably fall into a comparable ballpark range when it comes to playing in the d-zone. As was suggested before, it's probably mostly about being in the right spot at the right time. Knowing how and when to pressure the puck carrier or take away passing lanes is also key, but those things also come down to proper positioning most of the time.

That said, I think this is part of the reason Zucker has yet to become a regular in the show. If he was in that range where his defensive (or "away from puck") deficiencies wouldn't add up or be noticed over the course of the season, I think he'd already be looking at a safe roster spot with the big club.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Yeah I think the original point was that no matter how well a wing plays in his own zone, the value that adds over a poor defensive wing is minimal. I can see how that might ring true, as most of the regular (top nine) wings in the league probably fall into a comparable ballpark range when it comes to playing in the d-zone. As was suggested before, it's probably mostly about being in the right spot at the right time. Knowing how and when to pressure the puck carrier or take away passing lanes is also key, but those things also come down to proper positioning most of the time.

That said, I think this is part of the reason Zucker has yet to become a regular in the show. If he was in that range where his defensive (or "away from puck") deficiencies wouldn't add up or be noticed over the course of the season, I think he'd already be looking at a safe roster spot with the big club.

Personally, I think Zucker would have made the team if Fontaine wasn't on a one-way at that junction. Not saying that was the right course to go, but the perception with Yeo is he never really wanted Fonzie on the roster to begin with. We all knew Granlund would be a lock simply because they needed another center. With two kids who could switch in from the wing, it was a no brainer.

After that, there wasn't any perm spot where Jason could go and they made the better determination he should be in Iowa playing 20 minutes as opposed to the Sheppard Special every night.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I would like to see Zucker do next season what Haula did this season. Start at the bottom and work your way up, earning ice time with improved play. As of now he's an unproven question mark.

J22*

Personally, I think Zucker would have made the team if Fontaine wasn't on a one-way at that junction. Not saying that was the right course to go, but the perception with Yeo is he never really wanted Fonzie on the roster to begin with. We all knew Granlund would be a lock simply because they needed another center. With two kids who could switch in from the wing, it was a no brainer.

After that, there wasn't any perm spot where Jason could go and they made the better determination he should be in Iowa playing 20 minutes as opposed to the Sheppard Special every night.

Fontaine was on a 2-way deal last year and could've been sent down at any time.

tomthestone*

Fontaine was on a 2-way deal last year and could've been sent down at any time.

Fontaine was on a two-way deal, but there was some special clause that required him to clear waivers before he could be sent to the AHL. I remember Russo pointing it out during training camp, and telling UMD fans to stay calm if and when the Fonz hit the waiver wire because the staff wouldn't just give him away.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Fontaine was on a two-way deal, but there was some special clause that required him to clear waivers before he could be sent to the AHL. I remember Russo pointing it out during training camp, and telling UMD fans to stay calm if and when the Fonz hit the waiver wire because the staff wouldn't just give him away.

No special clause. One way vs two way contract has zero impact on waiver eligibility. That is purely a CBA defined thing based on age/experience.

The only thing a one way contract does for a player is he will maintain his NHL salary if sent to the AHL.

tomthestone*

No special clause. One way vs two way contract has zero impact on waiver eligibility. That is purely a CBA defined thing based on age/experience.

The only thing a one way contract does for a player is he will maintain his NHL salary if sent to the AHL.

Whatever. Point being that Fontaine could not have been freely sent down to Iowa at any time.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
You're correct. I totally blanked on the fact that Fontaine was already 25 when the year started.

Exactly. Me saying he was on a one-way was incorrect but it was the definition of why he couldn't just be sent down is still a valid argument as to why Zucker never made the team last season. Russo even said it I believe, it is easier to just keep the 2-way players down in Iowa and call up as opposed to the one-way since Fontaine took seniority because of contract. Not to mention it is easier to let your scorer type players play down in Iowa than to have a healthy scratch player you can plug on the 3rd/4th line and see what happens. Not to mention I believe there is a maximum amount of games they can play before they have to clear waivers. Fontaine didn't exactly have a bad year by any stretch. Especially compared to what his cap hit would be for any team that picked him up. Think of teams like Pittsburgh or even LA who would love the depth it provides along with the freedom to move a player around. We could all be singing a different tune about how the situation was handled if they let him try to go down.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
The wing's defensive responsibility is to cover the point man and be in position for the breakout to start. That's about it. If a winger is making a big impact in the defensive zone, that typically means he's leaving his position to cover someone else, which means trouble is brewing.

If Zucker isn't doing his job, it's things like reading the breakout passes, flying the zone early, not getting himself open, straying out of position, turning the puck over, etc. And I don't think he's had nearly enough games and opportunities to even start writing the book on his play in the defensive zone.

If you're playing with centers and defensemen who aren't good at recovering the puck and starting the breakout, you're going to look terrible. Look who he played with last year.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It will be interesting to see what they do. Regardless I am excited to see it. First time since Parise and Suter signed I have been ready to go already and before that it had to be the year Demitra was traded for.

tomthestone*

It will be interesting to see what they do. Regardless I am excited to see it. First time since Parise and Suter signed I have been ready to go already and before that it had to be the year Demitra was traded for.

With you all the way. I've been telling anyone who will listen that this is about to be the first real team the Wild have ever had. The franchise has never come into a season with such an ideal mix of young talent developed in house to compliment the veteran assets acquired via trade and on the open market. The goaltending situation sucks, but that will sort itself out even if the 2015 playoff starter isn't yet on the Wild roster.

Right now this team looks to have three legitimate lines and a pretty skilled (albeit small and soft) d corps. With the pieces currently in place the Wild should return to the playoffs, but this regime has shown a willingness to fill in the cracks at the deadline. Just imagine how sick the squad would look with one more big pickup!

We're comin, we're comiiiiin.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
A lot of teams are going to struggle with the Wild throwing 2 faster/skilled lines (Parise-Granlund-Pominville and Zucker-Haula-Nino), and then immediately changing gears to a strong possession line (Vanek-Koivu-Coyle). Especially when the Wild are at home. I think the Wild's offensive variety will make up for their lack of true superstars.

On defensive, I think quick puck movement the other ways will go a long way to pinning other teams back.

And I'm actually way less concerned about the goalie situation than most. It is in a better position than last year. Backstrom should be healthy again. Harding will either get his meds worked out or retire. Kuemper is a year older. Bryz is on speed dial.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Nugget from Russo:

“Ilya would very much like to return to the Wild and further the success the team had down the stretch last year,” agent Ritch Winter said. “It was one of the most satisfying experiences he has had in his career.

“He has instructed me to do all I can to facilitate a return to the Twin Cities even if it requires him to compromise somewhat to accommodate the budget issues facing the team if that becomes a possibility.”

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
If we didn't already have 3 NHL goalies, I would welcome Bryz back any day.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
If we didn't already have 3 NHL goalies, I would welcome Bryz back any day.

It would be incredibly nice if Fletcher somehow finds someone to take Backstrom. Problem being I don't think it's worth giving up a draft pick to cap dump Backstrom somewhere...

Backstrom and a third to Buffalo (Or any other team willing to take cap dumps) for a sixth or something doesn't seem worth it.

Plus we don't really need the cap space this year... It's next year that will hurt to have Backs on the books..

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
It would be incredibly nice if Fletcher somehow finds someone to take Backstrom. Problem being I don't think it's worth giving up a draft pick to cap dump Backstrom somewhere...

Backstrom and a third to Buffalo (Or any other team willing to take cap dumps) for a sixth or something doesn't seem worth it.

Plus we don't really need the cap space this year... It's next year that will hurt to have Backs on the books..

Won't be that bad next year. Especially considering the bump in cap coming. And if you take into how much a sixth round pick is worth vs a third round pick and Backstrom's salary would be more than fair. Just that we don't want to give up the hockey asset of a third, not the business value of the pick.

rafterman

Dec 1, 2010
Flyover country
Aside from the fact that no team is currently under the cap floor for this season and needs the cap hit, no one is going to take on $7.75mil in essentially dead future salary for a 3rd round pick.

Last edited:

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Scenario for Byrz:

Harding has MS issues in camp, and has to go on IR or retire.

Kuemper holds out.

Fletcher then signs Bryz early in the season, who is still a free agent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad