Speculation: Trade Ideas and Free Agency IX - Wild Looking For A Defenseman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Would do this for McDavid:
Granlund, Dumba, 1st&2nd round picks 2014

2015, you mean. But yeah. McDavid would help us more next year than Granlund will. I do that trade in a heartbeat.

I'd even do it for Eichel.

But whoever has the 1st or 2nd pick would be stupid to accept.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
In all honestly unless we win the draft lotto we are not going to trade up to the 1-2 pick range, not saying we don't have the assets for it because we do but we'd have to give up A LOT to move up.

Our fault isn't our roster, its our play we don't have the best roster but we have an above avg roster, just because we play like crap won't be fixed with one trade.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
Man are people down. Honestly, this team is one decent goalie, one #5 defensemen, and one young center stepping up from being a good playoff team.

Seasons have ups and downs. We've been going down for a while, all on bad goaltending. We'll come back up.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Man are people down. Honestly, this team is one decent goalie, one #5 defensemen, and one young center stepping up from being a good playoff team.

Seasons have ups and downs. We've been going down for a while, all on bad goaltending. We'll come back up.

I think the reason there is more pessimism this year is because last year our goalies were constantly bailing us out. We rode the Harding wave through December last year, and then Kuemper and Bryz stepped up in the 2nd half of last year.

I agree with your list too, but I really don't like the chances of all of those things happening before April. There's too much frustration in that locker room without any answers. I don't know, maybe this team will surprise me and turn it around, but I'm just not sure they'll have enough ups to offset the downs this season.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i had great expectations for this year after last years playoff run. i thought the young guns would all get better and some would breakout! combined with parise , pommer & vanek all 30G scorers we should be the most talented wild team to take the ice. other than the goal tending issue the players are not getting it done. why are you positive?

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Even with that, we're one high end C away from being a legit contender. Just so happens this draft has a solid lineup of them in the top 10.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Despres pulled from practice for no apparent reason. Suddenly I'm having dreams of getting him. He's a RD though, no idea what we'd do with him.

Probably not traded anyway.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Even with that, we're one high end C away from being a legit contender. Just so happens this draft has a solid lineup of them in the top 10.

Here's the kicker; unless we're trading for one, this sudden realization that we need a high-end center is 2-3 years too late. Unless Minnesota is drafting in the top 3 (which is unlikely at this point), I don't see an impact forward that'll immediately change the team around next year. I didn't expect such a dramatic collapse for Pominville, Vanek or Koivu (and I really do think this year is anomalous and either later this year or next year, we should see better numbers from them) but to ignore a decline in their production and play as they get older is wishful thinking.

Furthermore; we have limited options when it comes to trades. Brodziak is definitely gone and maybe Fletcher can swing a Erat or Clutterbuck trade but being reasonable, I think Brodziak might bring in a 2nd or 3rd at most. Outside of Brodziak, Minnesota does't have a lot of flexibility. They could trade their 2nd this year or a 1st next year but I also don't see that happening with the thin depth they have.

I see them making more moves on the waiver line than anything; Bryan Allen was just placed on waivers. We could look at him for depth. I don't know. As we move toward the deadline, the less players might get waived as rosters are loosened and teams get more and more calls.

I'll give Fletcher credit that he didn't panic this time around but I don't know if that's because he knows he doesn't have a ton of room to work with or he's determined to watch the Wild sink and just work toward next year.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, he's a lefty, but a quick glance of the Pens' last two GDT's indicates he's been playing on the right side of Scuderi and Pouliot. Looks like he can play either side.

He's certainly intriguing.

He'd cost too much and Minnesota really doesn't have a lot to move around.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
The die has been cast with our centers. We must deal with what we have. Granlund. Haula. Coyle. Graovac. We just can't solve that anytime soon with tanking or trade. History shows that dumping a ton of assets for a top center doesn't actually improve the team much, because top centers are generally only available after they've peaked. Seguin is the exception.

Time is better spent focusing on fixing the problems we can fix, and improving the players we have.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
Bryan Allen is on waivers, according to TSN.

He'd probably satisfy those that are clamoring for the "grit" element, but I have my doubts about his actual ability to still be a competent defender based on opinions of Habs fans. His salary also might be an issue, though I believe his contract is up this season.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I think the most frustrating aspect of this year's annual collapse is that most of us can't see a way out of it. Our pipeline is pretty dry at this point - we have Tuch and Dumba but they're at least a couple years away. It's very possible that we're going to miss the playoffs but we're going to draft in the 10-20 range again. So tired of this cycle of mediocrity... Dunno, really down on this team right now.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
I think the most frustrating aspect of this year's annual collapse is that most of us can't see a way out of it. Our pipeline is pretty dry at this point - we have Tuch and Dumba but they're at least a couple years away. It's very possible that we're going to miss the playoffs but we're going to draft in the 10-20 range again. So tired of this cycle of mediocrity... Dunno, really down on this team right now.

What makes it even more dire (least in my eyes) is this is yet another year off the lifecycle of the veteran players...of which all are on the wrong side of 30.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Here's the kicker; unless we're trading for one, this sudden realization that we need a high-end center is 2-3 years too late. Unless Minnesota is drafting in the top 3 (which is unlikely at this point), I don't see an impact forward that'll immediately change the team around next year. I didn't expect such a dramatic collapse for Pominville, Vanek or Koivu (and I really do think this year is anomalous and either later this year or next year, we should see better numbers from them) but to ignore a decline in their production and play as they get older is wishful thinking.

I don't think the realization is 2-3 years too late, it's why we drafted Granlund in 2010. His step back this year has hurt us more than anything outside of goaltending.

elnewby

Feb 21, 2012
MT
Dallas totally stole Seguin.

Regarding Despres. Love to have him here. The only way I could see us landing him is if PITT is desperate for a winger for Malkin. Winger is our deepest position.

I feel like Pomminville would be good on Malkin's wing.

Billy Mays Here*

Despres left practice because of a nagging injury according to the Pens beat writer, he wasn't traded.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I don't think the realization is 2-3 years too late, it's why we drafted Granlund in 2010. His step back this year has hurt us more than anything outside of goaltending.

In reality; we could have used another center. Phillips was a good draft pick IMO but just didn't develop like we wanted - he was good as a depth center and while a risky pick, that deep in the draft it was a good risk. But our top picks (top 10), we should have been looking at another center, especially with Granlund's build (plus to add depth).

It's also not necessarily drafting but also signing another center or at least adding some depth there in the off-season to battle with the youngsters. The worst is that we send a guy like Coyle or Granlund down to season in the AHL. The best is that we have a guy we can move or we can more development time with the rookies.

The reason why I say it's 2-3 years later is that is generally how long a CHL prospect takes to make it to the AHL and then from there to the NHL. A good prospect should take 2-3 years to get acclimated to the NHL and show some impact. Especially on a team that has a very small window.

The die has been cast with our centers. We must deal with what we have. Granlund. Haula. Coyle. Graovac. We just can't solve that anytime soon with tanking or trade. History shows that dumping a ton of assets for a top center doesn't actually improve the team much, because top centers are generally only available after they've peaked. Seguin is the exception.

Mike Richards, Jeff Carter are another two that come to mind. As well as Jason Spezza to an extent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad