Proposal: Trade for Cam Fowler

Status
Not open for further replies.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
Both Red Wings fans and Ducks fans have talked about a Tatar+ for Fowler trade for a while, many say we can't make the cap work but I think we can, if we trade Brendan Smith for prospects/picks. The key is all this has to happen before the season starts and our cap is set after we LTIR some players.

I created a google document that I used to verify numbers, here it is.

Cap Details

To start off with, to optimize the cap relief from LTIR we should target for $78,971,211 in salaries, I get this because the cap is $73,000,000 and we have $5,971,211 in LTIR contracts.

The spreadsheet has for sections, "What we have today", "Last day of training camp", "After trading Smith" and "After Jurco comes back".

The "Last day of training camp" is after we trade for Fowler and after we send Larkin down to Grand Rapids, don't worry, he will be back. We have to send Larkin down to maximize the cap relief but we can recall him before the first game of the season. Also Oullett is up also.

Next we have to trade Smith for something that doesn't bring back salary, so prospects or picks. Then we can recall Larkin and we will have $1,200,000 worth of wiggle room until Jurco comes back.

When Jurco comes back I have Pulkkinen as the odd man out, we have to trim the roster to 23 and I honestly think Jurco adds more to the team.

What do you think? Am I doing the math wrong?

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I think it goes exactly that way.

We can also trade for Fowler (Tatar out) later. Then just Smith has to be off from the books first.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
While I think Cam is more so a number 3 D, this trade makes sense. Tatar is probably my favourite Red Wing but if you can get DeKeyser, Fowler and Kronwall all on their own pairings, it becomes so much better.

Fowler-Marchenko
DeKeyser-Ericsson
Kronwall-Green
Ouellet

Smith out.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Fowler for Tatar+ makes so much sense for both organizations.

That said, there's a whole lot of track record to overcome, in the Wings making a substantial trade involving a noteworthy roster player(s).

Were I a betting man, I'd sooner wager that another team finds a way to get it done, and Detroit keeps kicking tires, but we'll see.

taylorjonl

Jul 3, 2015
Sandy, Utah
I think it goes exactly that way.

We can also trade for Fowler (Tatar out) later. Then just Smith has to be off from the books first.

Yes, but we lose a lot of cap flexibility, I updated the google doc with a second sheet that describes trading for Fowler after the season starts.

Trading after season start

We end up with only $160,000 until Jurco comes back, then we only have $72,000 after that.

EDIT:

Added Svechnikov's contract on the last day of training camp and that adds $894,166 cap flexibility, so before or after season start we can make it work.

Last edited:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Nyquist would be a better trade target for the Wings because his cap hit is higher and trading him would give Detroit better flexibility.

gretskidoo

Nov 26, 2011
Nyquist would be a better trade target for the Wings because his cap hit is higher and trading him would give Detroit better flexibility.

Which is why the Ducks would want Tatar instead. They're trying to free up room for Lindholm and Rakell.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
If this deal would ever go down, I would prefer to keep Nyquist over Tatar. I also think ANA would rather have Tatar anyways.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If this deal would ever go down, I would prefer to keep Nyquist over Tatar. I also think ANA would rather have Tatar anyways.

Yep. For last two seasons, Tatar has scored 0.85 ppg against Western Conference. Only 0.5 ppg against East.

Should be ideal for both parties.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
BM needs to shed quite a bit salary to resign Lindholm and Rakell Tatar for Fowler only shed $1.25 million doubt that's enough Spooner on the other hand sheds close to $3 million for the Ducks just not sure that a Tatar for Fowler deal would happen though i think it makes sense for both teams here.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Could Mantha for Fowler be a possibility??

ANH usually has a bigger forward corps and Mantha has enough size. He also has a history of being a goal scorer and pretty much nothing else. He also has almost no cap hit. Former 1st rounder for former 1st rounder?

Maybe it doesn't work on Detroit's end cap wise but isn't that a pretty reasonable deal?

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

ANH usually has a bigger forward corps and Mantha has enough size. He also has a history of being a goal scorer and pretty much nothing else. He also has almost no cap hit. Former 1st rounder for former 1st rounder?

Maybe it doesn't work on Detroit's end cap wise but isn't that a pretty reasonable deal?

Ducks probably want a surer thing (would probably settle on a winger with higher floor but lower ceiling)

Screws Detroit's cap up, leaves the team needing to shed a pretty significant amount of money. At that point teams like NJ/ Arizona/ whoever has us right where they want us in terms of bleeding assets out of us along with Howard (I'm assuming he would be the casualty in any cap dump scenario)

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I mean, trading your top point-producing forward on a sweet contract for one more season for a #3 defenseman doesn't really improve your team significantly.

thats true

if the best roster you can intentionally assemble results in your best player being a 55pt winger, you have more troubles than a #3 dman....

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014

Kahn reported that Anaheim was asking for one of Mantha/Athanasiou + 16th overall for Fowler. If so that deal is probably still on the table

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
I know we need D, but I don't want to give up Mantha nor AA

Me either. But if we must give up Mantha, that means most likely we keep Tatar who is obviously a KNOWN sure thing of a 20-25 goal scorer per year at least...

Fowler is a really mobile defenseman too, he can push the pace for the offense. A pairing of him and DDK would look really really good for years to come I think

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
in 2 years (and for the following 5) who would you want as a Red Wing, Mantha or (name?)? I know it depends on how Mantha develops, but I have great hopes that he can become a game-breaker not just good+. I like both Fowler & Trouba but I am not as sure as some about what the price that goes back

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
wouldn't do it for mantha and a 1st. could be relatively high 1st too.

fowler also has only 2 years left on his deal. might leave or at the very least is going to get significant raise

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
we're not in a position to trade an unknown placement first rd pick because it could easily be a bottom 10 in 2017

if that was the offer then we know we can negotiate from there as teams always do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad