Proposal: Trade for Byfuglien??

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Shattenkirk just turned 25 in January, which is still a good 2-3 years before he enters his prime as a defenseman. His offensive skills have translated, and his defense is improving. That's exactly what you would hope to see from that type of player at this stage in his career. If you're selling him now, you're almost certainly selling him low.

I don't think he's anywhere near as expendable, or replaceable, as the consensus around here seems to believe.

I would hate it if they moved Shattenkirk for Byfuglien.

J Leads the Way

May 17, 2010
Shattenkirk just turned 25 in January, which is still a good 2-3 years before he enters his prime as a defenseman. His offensive skills have translated, and his defense is improving. That's exactly what you would hope to see from that type of player at this stage in his career. If you're selling him now, you're almost certainly selling him low.

I don't think he's anywhere near as expendable, or replaceable, as the consensus around here seems to believe.

100% correct here.

I cringe everytime someone mentions him in a trade for Spezza, or Buff, or Thornton. He has things to work on, but his value is way too high to give up on him

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Thanks for posting this. I don't want to see the team move Shattenkirk...and moreover I get the sense that Armstrong is higher on him than this board has recently reflected. But its nice to see a logical argument laid out on the subject.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I feel like Shattenkirk is trying too hard to be an elite offensive defenseman, and that stats are the end all be all of his value.

As a lifelong Blues fan who grew up in St. Louis, but has lived in DC for the last 8 years (finally come back to STL in OCT, just in time for Blues hockey, cant wait!) I've often made the remark that Shattenkirk is quickly becoming the Mike Green of the Blues to me. and thats not a good thing at all. I hate Mike Green, view him as an overrated d-man and wish he wasnt on the team. The more and more I see Shattenkirk forcing shots and not even looking for a passing option the more I feel that "Mike Green disgust". I'm not saying we need to move him, maybe just remind him that his value extends beyond what his stats look like at the end of the season. reign in his offensive game a little bit, and focus on his 2-way play. If we can do that, I think it will be better than any outside acquisition we could make.
I strongly disagree with this. I personally think Shattenkirk passes plenty and is one of the better passers on the team.

I mean, I don't see the point in criticizing a guy for shooting the puck. He usually gets it on net, and also, it's not really his fault that our forwards refuse to shoot the puck or carry it into the middle and pass it back to the point all the time. So really what's Shattenkirk supposed to do? If him and Steen DIDN'T shoot it, I believe the team might go the full 2 minutes without putting the puck on net.

I think he's a very good and unique player to have back there, and as mentioned in this thread he's still young. I want to keep him as well.

Multimoodia

Sicker Than Usual
Nov 6, 2010
The Range
The more and more I see Shattenkirk forcing shots and not even looking for a passing option the more I feel that "Mike Green disgust".

Just to make sure I am not somehow misunderstanding: when you level these concerns about Shattenkirk you are not also thinking of trading him for Byfuglien, correct?

Because that would be hilariously erroneous to complain of Shattenkirk's offensive imbalance and predilection toward shooting and then in the next thought wax poetic about Byfuglien.

J Leads the Way

May 17, 2010
Just to make sure I am not somehow misunderstanding: when you level these concerns about Shattenkirk you are not also thinking of trading him for Byfuglien, correct?

Because that would be hilariously erroneous to complain of Shattenkirk's offensive imbalance and predilection toward shooting and then in the next thought wax poetic about Byfuglien.

no, im saying trading Shatty for Buff is a lateral move at best, and likely a step backward. Why trade a younger guy for an older guy who isnt any better?

I'm also saying that if we can correct some of these negative tendencies of Shattenkirk then that would be better than any outside acquisition we could make.

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
I did take a look at the up coming UFAs on D.

Here are some names that stand out:

Clayton Stoner - crease clearing

Ron Hainsey - Size on the backend
Nikita Nikulin - Legit top 4 guy - with puck moving tools and offense
Kesla
Maybe a flier on Pitkanen

The guy I would really look at is Mike Weaver - I get it he doesn't help with size, but overall he is a great defensive player.

Personally, I would like to see Cole up with Shatty. That may make everyone think I am crazy, but he is a good dman - when he was playing on a regular basis. Hitch just doesn't seem to like him. He is a better puck mover then Jax/Polak and just as physical. hockey IQ?? but

That leaves Jax on the 3rd line, I at this point, I would try to trade Polak or Leopold. And bring in someone like Hainsey, Pitkanen, Kesla, or Weaver. (I would keep loepold/Polak on the bench as the backup)

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I was impressed with stoner in the chi-MIN series. ..no hawk went unsmashed.

I like the idea of Cole with shatty. But that would mean jax-polak. And that's a no no...unless Leo filled in for one of them and the 3rd line rotated between jax and polak with bench duty. I'm not familiar with the other defensive UFAs....I don't have center ice so I only watch blues games outside of POs

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I did take a look at the up coming UFAs on D.

Here are some names that stand out:

Clayton Stoner - crease clearing

Ron Hainsey - Size on the backend
Nikita Nikulin - Legit top 4 guy - with puck moving tools and offense
Kesla
Maybe a flier on Pitkanen

The guy I would really look at is Mike Weaver - I get it he doesn't help with size, but overall he is a great defensive player.

Personally, I would like to see Cole up with Shatty. That may make everyone think I am crazy, but he is a good dman - when he was playing on a regular basis. Hitch just doesn't seem to like him. He is a better puck mover then Jax/Polak and just as physical. hockey IQ?? but

That leaves Jax on the 3rd line, I at this point, I would try to trade Polak or Leopold. And bring in someone like Hainsey, Pitkanen, Kesla, or Weaver. (I would keep loepold/Polak on the bench as the backup)

Cole with Shatty does indeed mean Jax with Polak. Jax and Leopold are both lefties, so they wouldn't play together on a regular basis. Jackman is better than many on here think and a team leader. It is doubtful he gets traded or scratched regularly. So if we move Cole up, we would have to get a righty and trade Polak. All the guys you mentioned are Lefties. I don't see anyway to get Cole into the second pairing, avoid Jackman-Polak, and sign a physical lefty.

Bouwmeester (L) - Pietrangelo (R)
Cole (L) - Shattenkirk (R)
Jackman (L) - ??????

The ????? would have to be Polak or another righty, otherwise we'd roll a lefty, lefty combo all year. The lefty-lefty combo isn't terrible on a defensive oriented 3rd pairing, since they wouldn't be on the powerplay or jumping the play often. What we would need is to get a guy who is a puck-mover to cover for Jackman. That is more important. I like that set up, but it wouldn't solve our problem of defensive toughness issue. Available Right handed puck movers are Gilbert, Butler, and Benoit. I like all 3 guys but they are not tough physical guys. Weaver who you mentioned fits that bill, but he is 36, which to me is older than I'd like.

Last edited:

Frenzy31

May 21, 2003
Cole with Shatty does indeed mean Jax with Polak. Jax and Leopold are both lefties, so they wouldn't play together on a regular basis. Jackman is better than many on here think and a team leader. It is doubtful he gets traded or scratched regularly. So if we move Cole up, we would have to get a righty and trade Polak. All the guys you mentioned are Lefties. I don't see anyway to get Cole into the second pairing, avoid Jackman-Polak, and sign a physical lefty.

Bouwmeester (L) - Pietrangelo (R)
Cole (L) - Shattenkirk (R)
Jackman (L) - ??????

The ????? would have to be Polak or another righty, otherwise we'd roll a lefty, lefty combo all year. The lefty-lefty combo isn't terrible on a defensive oriented 3rd pairing, since they wouldn't be on the powerplay or jumping the play often. What we would need is to get a guy who is a puck-mover to cover for Jackman. That is more important. I like that set up, but it wouldn't solve our problem of defensive toughness issue. Available Right handed puck movers are Gilbert, Butler, and Benoit. I like all 3 guys but they are not tough physical guys. Weaver who you mentioned fits that bill, but he is 36, which to me is older than I'd like.

Poop. You are right.

I agree I don't want to trade Jax or sit him. Weaver may be older, but he is a great competitor and had a fantastic payoff run with Montreal. There isn't much there on the right side of things. Which may necessitate bringing in a lefty. And looking at things from that side. Monkeys.......

puckerdude10

Feb 22, 2010
Columbia
As far as defensive pairings go I think we should keep the top four as is:

Petro-Jbo
Shatty-Jax

I think Polak has played subpar the last season or two but with the right partner and minutes he can be very effective. I actually think he and cole would add the defensively responsible pairing with a lot of bite and physicality to it. I also think this would force Cole to utilize his puck moving skills more and help him develop them into more of an asset so that when Jax retires he can take his place as a better replacement from within. Essentially I think the key to improving our defense is simply shipping Leopold out. I thought we soured on Russel to soon and should have kept him. Imo we overpaid for Leopold and while he hasn't been terrible I haven't been impressed by him either. I also think he is in the way of Cole's development and that is hurting our team in the long run.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad