Proposal: Trade for Byfuglien??

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Assuming the teams won't balk at an intra-division trade, if the Blues expressed interest in Byfuglien, what kind of return do you think would be fair and realistic?

The Blues' most likely roster player trading chips are, IMHO, Berglund and Shattenkirk. Our two most prized prospects are Jaskin and Rattie. We have no first round pick next year, but assume this year is in play also.

Off the table for STL are Schwartz, Tarasenko, Backes, Oshie and Pietrangelo.

Given contract considerations and mutual needs, I would propose Shattenkirk straight up, but I would add Jaskin to the package if a Jets' 2d rounder were added.

Byfuglien wants to play D, and he would go a long way towards improving our testosterone deficiency on the blue line--without giving up much offense. Would you be satisfied if that's what it took to swing a deal for him?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I've always heard he was boo boo for a defenseman. Havnt seen much of him other then this year. That cannon of a shot and freight train hits would be a nice addition

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
It would almost have to be Shattenkirk for Bfugly, where else would you put him? That would be an intriguing trade, I am always think we would benefit from more size on the back end. But Shatty is cheaper, younger, and has an additional year on his contract, and is kind of a sideways trade.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I agree with the post above. Would be a sideways trade so there's really no point of it, although I'd love to have Byfuglien on this team simply because the guy is the size of planet Jupiter.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
It would almost have to be Shattenkirk for Bfugly, where else would you put him? That would be an intriguing trade, I am always think we would benefit from more size on the back end. But Shatty is cheaper, younger, and has an additional year on his contract, and is kind of a sideways trade.

The first time Byfuglien knocks Bickell on his backside with a reverse check, it will all have been worth it.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
As if Kane isn't already scoring on the Blues? Must have forgot how our great defense shuts him down all the time.

Kane lights us up no doubt. Byfuglien would improve that how? He's atrocious in his own end. I want the defensive core to be more mobile just as much as anyone else. More physical would be nice too, but not at the expense of actually playing defense.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
Kane lights us up no doubt. Byfuglien would improve that how? He's atrocious in his own end. I want the defensive core to be more mobile just as much as anyone else. More physical would be nice too, but not at the expense of actually playing defense.

Agreed. But please explain how Shattenkirk is so much better defensively than Byfuglien?
Anything he has over Byfuglien is moot after the first shift against a heavy forechecking team.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He might not improve it but he could probably at least deck Kane unlike the rest of our d-men who let him walk right around them.

Look I'm not even advocating a trade for him. But he'd be fun to watch.

kimzey59

Aug 16, 2003
He might not improve it but he could probably at least deck Kane unlike the rest of our d-men who let him walk right around them.

Look I'm not even advocating a trade for him. But he'd be fun to watch.

How is he going to catch Kane to hit him?
Byfuglien is slower than Jackman.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
How is he going to catch Kane to hit him?
Byfuglien is slower than Jackman.
Lol at that question. You think Kane is going to be flying around the ice top speed at every second of the game?

Byfuglien is obviously fast enough to have laid 213 hits this season.

But tell me more about him being too slow to hit people, I'm sure you are knowledgeable about that subject.

erderuft

Jun 28, 2011
Borås, Sweden
I'd love to see Big Buff play for the Blues. Great to have on the PP, and we all know we could use all the help we can get there. Great physicality, too. But I doubt Hitch would want him instead of Shatty. And Army for that matter, since Buf costs a whole mil more per season.

BA Carroll

Mar 2, 2014
I agree that it's not a likely scenario. I just happen to think Byfuglien is the best player to address the Blues need to toughen up--so I'm crowd sourcing to see what would make sense if Army were interested. Can you name another "high-end utility defender" with similar size and toughness we could acquire for less?

Blues could benefit from more size & muscle all around, but I'm convinced that it's the fragility of our defenders that cost us the Chicago series. If we're to avoid repeating the past, this issue needs to be addressed.

There are other defenders available, but I don't see any of them bringing what Byfuglien can bring. If better alternatives come to mind, please share them.

Majorityof1

Mar 6, 2014
Central Florida
I agree that it's not a likely scenario. I just happen to think Byfuglien is the best player to address the Blues need to toughen up--so I'm crowd sourcing to see what would make sense if Army were interested. Can you name another "high-end utility defender" with similar size and toughness we could acquire for less?

Blues could benefit from more size & muscle all around, but I'm convinced that it's the fragility of our defenders that cost us the Chicago series. If we're to avoid repeating the past, this issue needs to be addressed.

There are other defenders available, but I don't see any of them bringing what Byfuglien can bring. If better alternatives come to mind, please share them.

Really, the fragility of our defenders was why we lost? We had 10 players hurt at the end of the year and only one was a D. I'd think our forwards were more fragile. Unless you just mean lack of physicality. In that case, it's pretty much a consensus that our lack of scoring cost us the playoffs. Our D definitely did not play their best, but that was more mental mistakes and coaching (always shoot from the point causing blocked shots to go the other way). I wouldn't mind our D playing more physical, or adding a big strong D, but not at the expense of a young, talented player like Shattenkirk.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Our defensive decencies can be addressed with training. Mainly Pietro tying up sticks in front of the net since he won't clear it.

There are a few big dman available in FA, but from army's comments, I don't expect anything

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

You do know we lost against Chicago because our offense sputtered for the third consecutive postseason right? We don't need to make the defense tougher. One could make a case that we need to get more mobile and replace Jackman on the second pairing with someone that is more effective at moving the puck, but that's about it. Moving Shattenkirk is a lateral move at best. For all the flack Shattenkirk gets, he's vastly better in his own end.

J Leads the Way

May 17, 2010
I feel like Shattenkirk is trying too hard to be an elite offensive defenseman, and that stats are the end all be all of his value.

As a lifelong Blues fan who grew up in St. Louis, but has lived in DC for the last 8 years (finally come back to STL in OCT, just in time for Blues hockey, cant wait!) I've often made the remark that Shattenkirk is quickly becoming the Mike Green of the Blues to me. and thats not a good thing at all. I hate Mike Green, view him as an overrated d-man and wish he wasnt on the team. The more and more I see Shattenkirk forcing shots and not even looking for a passing option the more I feel that "Mike Green disgust". I'm not saying we need to move him, maybe just remind him that his value extends beyond what his stats look like at the end of the season. reign in his offensive game a little bit, and focus on his 2-way play. If we can do that, I think it will be better than any outside acquisition we could make.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
That was really an issue with our entire D... all shots were wide or blocked. I watch doughty and Keith shoot, they often defer to a writer that makes it on net 9/10 times.

I feel shattenkirk will just continue to develop into a great dman. Getting him a solid 2nd pairing dman would do wonders. I thought he looked great with McD in the olympics

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad