Proposal: Trade/FA Thread '21 Off-Season Part 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Yeah risto has played on the worst team in hockey for his career. I want to see how he'd look on a second pairing behind Petry with a better structured team and Carey Price in nets. My hunch is we will be pleasantly surprised with what he brings.
I would certainly give it a try if the price is moderate.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, but Edmundson was THE WORST defenceman in the NHL, wasn't he?

Depending on what you look at, but he was better than Ristolainen at the same point in time based on most of what I've seen. He also had a pretty decent defensive year his last season in St. Louis, whereas Ristolainen has (analytically based on public information) has had two of his eight seasons where he was replacement level or above.

Maybe his role in Buffalo plays a part, maybe Buffalo plays a part, but I feel more inclined to think that Buffalo's usage of Ristolainen plays a big role in them being the mess that they are.

But he played in Buffalo reminds me if the Petry situation, Risto probably better than Petry…

Maybe, but Petry had some redeeming underlying numbers. Risto looked pretty bad away from McCabe.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah risto has played on the worst team in hockey for his career. I want to see how he'd look on a second pairing behind Petry with a better structured team and Carey Price in nets. My hunch is we will be pleasantly surprised with what he brings.

100% agree. I think most who understand context and usage feel the same. A chance at a new situation on a new team and there is interest but price to acquire has to be low.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
100% agree. I think most who understand context and usage feel the same. A chance at a new situation on a new team and there is interest but price to acquire has to be low.
What was the rumoured offer...a 2nd? I'd do that

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
Maybe his role in Buffalo plays a part, maybe Buffalo plays a part, but I feel more inclined to think that Buffalo's usage of Ristolainen plays a big role in them being the mess that they are.
That's what I would be counting on. The guy is an impressive physical package and has been producing some pretty impressive numbers over the years. Buffalo is just a toxic place.

If they've done their due diligence and the price is moderate, I'd give it a shot.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I would certainly give it a try if the price is moderate.

What about Drouin and a 4th for Ristolainen?

Same age, same draft year, and similar cap hits. Drouin has 1 more year in term so I added the pick for that cause both are underperforming to their cap hits.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
What about Drouin and a 3rd or 4th for Ristolainen?

Same age, same draft year, and similar cap hits. Drouin has 1 more year in term so I added the pick for that cause both are underperforming to their cap hits.
Drouin's a negative value for me, so I'd drive him to the airport, fly with him to Buffalo and bring Ristolainen back personally.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
What was the rumoured offer...a 2nd? I'd do that

I'd go with a 4th and Drouin for Ristolainen. I'm not taking on his entire cap hit because I don't think any team does. Cap space is the most valuable thing.

Or just keep it simple and go Drouin for Ristolainen straight up. Both were top 10 picks from 2013 that are underperforming. If they ask for a pick, I'd easily give up a 4th.

TopTenPlayz

Jun 6, 2014
With Fleury gone, pretty sure Risto is on his way. They only have two right handed Dmen Petry and Brook. And Brook isn't NHL caliber (yet)... hopefully they can send some salary back. Drouin isn't likely, so hopefully Byron +2nd or something similar.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Drouin's a negative value for me, so I'd drive him to the airport, fly with him to Buffalo and bring Ristolainen back personally.

I feel both are underperforming for top 10 picks in the 2013 draft. Both have overstayed their place on their current teams and need a change. Similar cap hits and Drouin signed for one more year. I'd offer the 4th for that

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
With Fleury gone, pretty sure Risto is on his way. They only have two right handed Dmen Petry and Brook. And Brook isn't NHL caliber (yet)... hopefully they can send some salary back. Drouin isn't likely, so hopefully Byron +2nd or something similar.

I could be wrong in the end but I feel our herd is undervaluing Drouin cause he is on LTIR. If I was the Sabres and I knew it was due to mental health issues (Montreal factor) and he was expected to play again next year, I'd easily flip Risto for Drouin. It's very similar to Chucky vs Domi.

I've heard people say Drouin might not never play again but where is this coming from? Management said he's doing much better at the end of season meeting with the reporters.

Drouin for Risto straight up. If they ask for a pick, sure, give them one of our 4th's.

Last edited:
Reactions: FF de Mars

Kwikwi

Feb 13, 2009
Wasnt the rumor for Risto a 2nd?

Only reasons Id take the guy is that hes Finnish (connection) and that the RD side is looking grim on the UFAs

I might take a change at Barrie instead

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Wasnt the rumor for Risto a 2nd?

Only reasons Id take the guy is that hes Finnish (connection) and that the RD side is looking grim on the UFAs

I might take a change at Barrie instead

We need to be careful with trying to improve offense on our back end and thinking Barrie is a solution. He's going to expose Price cause other teams coaches and focus on him. Stick with the big boys that skate well is what I say. If you want a guy for the PP, we need to think bigger and be willing to take on a guy like OEL or dig into futures to get a guy like Lindholm.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No Barrie for me. He is so soft.:help: I would spend money on A. Martinez.:nod:

100% agree. No way I go after soft types on D cause we feel they can add a bit of offense. It's not a good idea and it's how we exposed flaws the Leafs had.

I'm in on Martinez as well but only a 2 year contract. Age 34-36. I'm not paying for his age 37 season.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Getting Risto is ridiculous. He makes $5.4m a year and sucks. Why not just spend $3.5m more and sign an actual elite #1 in Hamilton.

Reactions: habsfan891

CAUFIELD

Oct 16, 2015
Agree

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ristolainen feels like Petry's sequel, I really hope they get it done; but not for Drouin please! I expect a big season next year.

With me it feels more like the Domi/Galchenyuk swap. I think if we add a 4th (maybe a 3rd), they would take Drouin. We find a decent RD and we don't chew into our cap space. Sabres get someone to reach the cap floor while they have more tank years. Drouin helps their tank guys :naughty:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
That's what I would be counting on. The guy is an impressive physical package and has been producing some pretty impressive numbers over the years. Buffalo is just a toxic place.

If they've done their due diligence and the price is moderate, I'd give it a shot.

It better be: 1) really moderate; and 2) not impede Bergevin cap-wise in addressing other holes.

Bergevin has a spotty track record when it comes to building a D core. And the last big upside D-man to leave Buffalo was Myers (another big body that could put up "impressive numbers").

Reactions: Archijerej

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Getting Risto is ridiculous. He makes $5.4m a year and sucks. Why not just spend $3.5m more and sign an actual elite #1 in Hamilton.

I'd agree with that and hence why I would insist on Drouin for Risto swap. I'd add a 4th.

With Hamilton, it's a longer commitment and I have my doubts the Ontario boy picks the Habs when he will get multiple offers. I feel we need to overpay both in term and AAV to get him to think Montreal. Hard to say but I think this guy grew up a Leafs fan and he is risky to some degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad