Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
You are correct. Long term they need to find 10 million to fit him in.
t14qxam020c21.jpg

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Idk if it's tbls scouting, developing or just flat out luck (they've gotten lucky a whole lot more than other teams.....)... But we don't have guys like cirelli, kucherov, point, killorn, palat, gourde, or previously tj, Carter V, or marchessault thay they've drafted outside the 1st or picked up as Udfa. Copp might be close to a couple of those guys. But the collection of depth outside the 1st has been really good, imagine if they actually hit home runs on their recent 1sts (to be fair they usually aren't drafting top 10-15 in recent years like we have had to collect our talent)

Then you have guys like Joseph, Colton, raddysh who are basicslly victims to this top 9 depth. But whenever they're elevated they produce.

I think it takes all 3 of these elements if you are going to be the best in the league

You do make your own luck sometimes

Once its past round 2, most of the overlooked star players tend to come from being undersized mega producers in junior. If it's not that, its usually the 6'0 kid at 18 that has a late growth spurt and is 6'4 225 at 20.

Tampa has done an excellent job taking shots at the right prototype, gave themselves a chance to get lucky more, and happened to have Detroit's ex captain/asst GM to know what an elite development program should look like

boydkc

Aug 2, 2015
You are 100% right. Demelo is under appreciated. The best defence men are the ones who’s name you never hear during a game. He just gets the job done. Doesn’t matter who his partner is and he’s cheap. If we paid dmen for the defensive side of the game and not the offensive side. He would be making huge money.
Three players I move if I am GM Dillon,Morrisey,Copp. I look for a stud right winger like Pujarvi and right side D prospect plus a couple 2nd round picks.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Smiths $$ will be off the books this off-season... on pace for 60 puts - that’s a guy you keep for a cup run

So they leave Echiel on IR all year. If he plays one regular season game they need to find 10 million. His cap hit doesn't depreciate while injured.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Frank does have a trade bait list though. It had 4 RWers I found interesting in it...

Reilly Smith
Patric Hornqvist
Rickard Rakell
Vitaly Kravtsov
all 4 of those teams in the POs right now. i guess lot can change at the tdl, but not sure if any of them get moved.

i wonder how active this tdl will be with covid..... i don't think it hampered last year's as much. but was just thinking about it other day.
I think it takes all 3 of these elements if you are going to be the best in the league

You do make your own luck sometimes

Once its past round 2, most of the overlooked star players tend to come from being undersized mega producers in junior. If it's not that, its usually the 6'0 kid at 18 that has a late growth spurt and is 6'4 225 at 20.

Tampa has done an excellent job taking shots at the right prototype, gave themselves a chance to get lucky more, and happened to have Detroit's ex captain/asst GM to know what an elite development program should look like
no team has gotten as lucky as TBL though. drafting as a whole imo is a bit of a crap-shoot, notably after the top 10 or so picks. they went out and traded specifically for Point is that luck? and on the otherhand Palat was a double-overager in the 7th rd. but yea, it's all 3 of scouting/developing/luck, like most draft picks. but like mentioned before, no team has gotten as "lucky" as TBL, so must be something in the sauce.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I think if anything this year maybe has shed some light on needing to approach our forwards differently.

We have a potent top 6 but we are getting nothing from our bottom 6. Perhaps we will need to move a dmen this offseason and utilize the cap on a good middle 6 forward or two to try to build a more diverse and balanced top 9.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
all 4 of those teams in the POs right now. i guess lot can change at the tdl, but not sure if any of them get moved.

i wonder how active this tdl will be with covid..... i don't think it hampered last year's as much. but was just thinking about it other day.

no team has gotten as lucky as TBL though. drafting as a whole imo is a bit of a crap-shoot, notably after the top 10 or so picks. they went out and traded specifically for Point is that luck? and on the otherhand Palat was a double-overager in the 7th rd. but yea, it's all 3 of scouting/developing/luck, like most draft picks. but like mentioned before, no team has gotten as "lucky" as TBL, so must be something in the sauce.
if you look at the consistently successful teams, I think they ALL have drafted a star or 2 early (top 4 or 5) and have struck gold ( not including goalies)on a few picks later in the draft.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg

Kravtsov is playing in Russia and his agent has permission to find a new team for him.

Rakell is an expiring contract on a rebuilding team. They will probably resign or trade him and stay on the building track.

Hornqvist is also a pending UFA and has seen a decrease in his minutes.

Smith is a pending UFA on a team that could have to find significant cap space in a hurry with Eichel's return.

They were all on the list for good reason. Not certain I want the Jets to make a move, but if they are serious about this current squad, adding a natural RWer would be a decent idea.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
if you look at the consistently successful teams, I think they ALL have drafted a star or 2 early (top 4 or 5) and have struck gold ( not including goalies)on a few picks later in the draft.
Have the Jets only drafted once in the top 5?

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
idk you might be right. it's not often teams in the POs will make a move like trading Rakell or Hornqvist, especially with covid can take out any of your players at a given time. Kravtsov i can see getting moved though as a pieces for NYR to augment their line-up for the POs.

Kravtsov is playing in Russia and his agent has permission to find a new team for him.

Rakell is an expiring contract on a rebuilding team. They will probably resign or trade him and stay on the building track.

Hornqvist is also a pending UFA and has seen a decrease in his minutes.

Smith is a pending UFA on a team that could have to find significant cap space in a hurry with Eichel's return.

They were all on the list for good reason. Not certain I want the Jets to make a move, but if they are serious about this current squad, adding a natural RWer would be a decent idea.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
yeah you need high-end talent. iirc from 2011-2017 the Jets had the 3rd highest average first draft pick in the NHL (behind the 2 usual suspects EDM and BUF).

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
I don't know how important drafting average is. When it comes to drafting it seems like you need an amazing 10a pick and another top 3 amazing talent. The Thrashers picked Bogosian. Having the most 7th oa picks won't help the team as much.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
My sort of though is you need a Grade A 1 D man. But they are probably the hardest thing to get and Colorado has 3 of them with Makar,Johnson and Bowen. They make your forwards look so much better. Colorado plays so aggresively up the ice because those D can handle pressure.

We got really spoiled with the Buff/Trouba years and its hard to replace that. You either trade for it or draft it. Trading for a elite D man isn't easy. Chicago mortgaged a lot to get Jones and I am not convinced he is a true Grade A 1 D man.

I like our team but if you plopped Buff on this D group we are probably talking about what parade route we want to take for the Stanley Cup

jetsmooseice

Let Chevy Cook
Feb 20, 2020
My sort of though is you need a Grade A 1 D man. But they are probably the hardest thing to get and Colorado has 3 of them with Makar,Johnson and Bowen. They make your forwards look so much better. Colorado plays so aggresively up the ice because those D can handle pressure.

We got really spoiled with the Buff/Trouba years and its hard to replace that. You either trade for it or draft it. Trading for a elite D man isn't easy. Chicago mortgaged a lot to get Jones and I am not convinced he is a true Grade A 1 D man.

I like our team but if you plopped Buff on this D group we are probably talking about what parade route we want to take for the Stanley Cup

It is hard not to seethe with envy when watching the Avs and seeing what their D can do. They struck gold with Makar.

Your last line is pretty cutting... the more time passes and the more perspective we get, the clearer it becomes that Buff's exit basically closed the window for the Jets. No amount of leftovers and spare parts can replace what he brought, and we lost him for nothing. At least with Trouba and Laine we got a decent return. I suppose our only hope is to draft a Makar of our own eventually.

Reactions: Flair Hay

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
It is hard not to seethe with envy when watching the Avs and seeing what their D can do. They struck gold with Makar.

Your last line is pretty cutting... the more time passes and the more perspective we get, the clearer it becomes that Buff's exit basically closed the window for the Jets. No amount of leftovers and spare parts can replace what he brought, and we lost him for nothing. At least with Trouba and Laine we got a decent return. I suppose our only hope is to draft a Makar of our own eventually.

Being able to build around Makar and Mackinnon (on a ridiculous contract) and then plopping Byram on top of it. Just an embarrassment of riches there.

Hoping this game fires up our team.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

Yup a grade A RD to play with JoMo would really take this team forward.

I am very happy with JoMo's game this year but he's more like a good 1b or 2a two-way dmen. Not a dynamic elite driver like a Makar.

I like Heinola a lot but I see him more in the Morrissey mold if he develops then a Makar, Heiskanen, Fox etc mold.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There is a discussion on the main board (talking about tanking and if it is worth it) about the last 20 or 25 cup winners...all but one has a top 3 pick star on the roster. Several have more than one.

Basically, unless you can draft a franchise player, it is difficult to win the whole thing.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
There is a discussion on the main board (talking about tanking and if it is worth it) about the last 20 or 25 cup winners...all but one has a top 3 pick star on the roster. Several have more than one.

Basically, unless you can draft a franchise player, it is difficult to win the whole thing.

Unfortunately our one foray into the top 2 yielded a one dimensional goal scorer. It's been transitioned to a big physical number 1 center that was also a top 3 pick.

I don't think a scorched earth rebuild is ever a good idea but a dip here and there like what Colorado did to get Makar when you have a good core already in place isn't a bad thing.

It's why if things go off the rails this year I wouldn't be opposed to really dipping this year and getting an impact pick.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Unfortunately our one foray into the top 2 yielded a one dimensional goal scorer. It's been transitioned to a big physical number 1 center that was also a top 3 pick.

I don't think a scorched earth rebuild is ever a good idea but a dip here and there like what Colorado did to get Makar when you have a good core already in place isn't a bad thing.

It's why if things go off the rails this year I wouldn't be opposed to really dipping this year and getting an impact pick.

Agree. I suspect that the Jets are in tough to make the POs as a higher seed, though we may scrape into a WC, depending on how deep the slides are of our various low-end PO competitors. But even if we get there I'm not sure how far we go unless the team ramps up at the right time and we get to see some Perfetti/ ??? magic in time for the charge.

OTOH, I can't see us anywhere near the draft lottery, and Chevy has traditionally been loathe to sell at the TDL, so how much would a 1-season dip really benefit us?

Reactions: surixon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad