Trade, FA & Rumour Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
yea I hear you but both Samberg and Heinola can play the right side and they cost us nothing. If it’s more than a rental we have to expose one of our D men to Seattle.
If we could get a serviceable RD on an expiring contract for a 2nd or 3rd, I would certainly consider it. I really don’t want to see Booboo on the top pairing if it can be avoided.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
If we could get a serviceable RD on an expiring contract for a 2nd or 3rd, I would certainly consider it. I really don’t want to see Booboo on the top pairing if it can be avoided.

The challenge is Nathan is there now and shouldn’t be so there is no reason to think a new serviceable RD would bump him. It was kind of the original point I was trying to make but probably didn’t do a good job of it. Paul is enamoured with his vets.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Then who do we expose for the XD?

Protect FeFe, Ehlers, Connor, PLD, Copp, Harkins, Apples, JoMo, Ekholm, Pionk, Helly
Ask Wheels to waive, they aren’t taking him.
We lose one of Berdin, DeMelo, BooLoo, Stanley. Any one of those can be redrafted or picked up in FAgency.
At the draft, use our cap space to take a cap dump or two for a year or two for a few extra picks and/or prospects. I’m looking at you Tampa!

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One of DeMelo or Pionk, depending on who Chevy and PoMo like better moving forward... unless they trade one and then Booboo as normal

Back to my original point, I don’t think it makes sense to trade at the deadline this season with the upcoming XD, the quarantine, and Paul seemingly content with the current vets.

To be more clear we could already be rolling

Forbort Pionk
Morrissey DeMelo

Paul has chosen Beau for some unknown reason?? I don’t trust Paul with a new bright shinny object.

Keep the powder dry and preserve assets.

Last edited:

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
Back to my original point, I don’t think it makes sense to trade at the deadline this season with the upcoming XD, the quarantine, and Paul seemingly content with the current vets.

To be more clear we could already be rolling

Forbort Pionk
Morrissey DeMelo

Paul has chosen Beau for some unknown reason?? I don’t trust Paul with a new bright shinny object.

Keep the powder dry and preserve assets.
If we roll Forbort - Pionk as our top pair, we are the biggest joke team in the league

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
What do you mean if?

Seems to me the top two pairings are pretty interchangeable but Morrissey is still lugging the most ES ice time per game and most total ice time per game of the dmen so hard to say that the Pionk pairing is the top one.

Seems to me Morrissey is being deployed more like Buff was when we had the JoMo/Trouba shut down pairing and Pionk and Forbert are more the new Trouba/JoMo pairing.

Reactions: ps241 and WolfHouse

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Seems to me the top two pairings are pretty interchangeable but Morrissey is still lugging the most ES ice time per game and most total ice time per game of the dmen so hard to say that the Pionk pairing is the top one.

Seems to me Morrissey is being deployed more like Buff was when we had the JoMo/Trouba shut down pairing and Pionk and Forbert are more the new Trouba/JoMo pairing.

yea right now I would say we don’t have a top pair. I would say we have a solid 2nd pairing with Pionk and Forbot and then we are asking Josh to try to play top 4 but we are intentionally making his degree of difficultly harder but denying him the best RH partner option in DeMelo?

Love Josh but he is not Buff and he is not ideally suited to carry a #6-7 type in the top 4.

Either way it’s how we are rolling and at this point we are squarely in 2nd place which is impressive given the givens so I am counting my blessings.

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Protect FeFe, Ehlers, Connor, PLD, Copp, Harkins, Apples, JoMo, Ekholm, Pionk, Helly
We lose one of Berdin, DeMelo, BooLoo, Stanley. Any one of those can be redrafted or picked up in FAgency.
At the draft, use our cap space to take a cap dump or two for a year or two for a few extra picks and/or prospects. I’m looking at you Tampa!

Serious question,

Even without Ekholm or any other defenseman acquisition with term would the Jets ever expose Demelo and protect Stanley? They clearly like Stanley and have invested a lot in his development.

Demelo’s play appears to be not up to expectations since re-signing him, but I don’t necessarily think the Jets would expose a player so soon after he’s committed to staying . So many ways this could end up.

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
Serious question,

Even without Ekholm or any other defenseman acquisition with term would the Jets ever expose Demelo and protect Stanley? They clearly like Stanley and have invested a lot in his development.

Demelo’s play appears to be not up to expectations since re-signing him, but I don’t necessarily think the Jets would expose a player so soon after he’s committed to staying . So many ways this could end up.
I wouldn't expose DeMelo - the guy has a newborn baby at home and was totally distracted at the start of the season... he's already looking more like his old self

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
yea right now I would say we don’t have a top pair. I would say we have a solid 2nd pairing with Pionk and Forbot and then we are asking Josh to try to play top 4 but we are intentionally making his degree of difficultly harder but denying him the best RH partner option in DeMelo?

Love Josh but he is not Buff and he is not ideally suited to carry a #6-7 type in the top 4.

Either way it’s how we are rolling and at this point we are squarely in 2nd place which is impressive given the givens so I am counting my blessings.

I agree. I think as of late Josh is doing much better in that role but he needs a competent top 4 partner to help him out if we want to optimize his game and pairing.

That has to be a priority for Chevy this offseason imo.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
Serious question,

Remove the names and think about it.

Would you protect your #8 D who you’ve elevated Sami Niku above or would you protect your #3-4 D who is signed for 3 more seasons.

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
Remove the names and think about it.

Would you protect your #8 D who you’ve elevated Sami Niku above or would you protect your #3-4 D who is signed for 3 more seasons.
I think that's an oversimplification. It's not only about today's #3 vs #8, it's about the future. Yes, #3 is signed for three more years, but he's also much older than #8 and #8 has presumably not reached his potential yet. There's also salary and salary cap implications to consider. #8's value is increased due to his age and his next contract earnings being far lower than #3.

For me, there are merits to protecting both guys, and there are merits to exposing both guys. At this point in the season, it's a toss up, but we're not quite half way though the season. Stanley may not play another game this year and be demoted to the Moose, or he may play and play terribly, lowering his internal value, while DeMelo could return to form and become the solid #3 we hoped for when we re-signed him. There are many variables to consider, it's not just simply #3 vs #8.

scarbrow21

Feb 15, 2017
Winnipeg
Anyone who has had a kid knows that it's not just the day the baby is born that causes you to lose a step, it can very easily be the many sleepless nights that follow that exhaust you and your family! Demelo is gonna need some time!

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
Serious question,

I think Chevy needs to play the odds. What are the chances Seattle takes an aging 34 year old making 8+M a year? There should be a lot better D men than DeMelo for Seattle to choose from so I doubt they take him.
If Wheels waives and we leave him and DeMelo exposed, that enables us to keep the core intact with minimal loss. Even if they take DeMelo, with Heinola, Stanley, Chisholm and Samberg, we should be able to fill that spot internally. We still have Gawanke and Kovacevic as potential depth guys and can still fill any bottom end spots with FAgency. I don’t want to give up another high end pick or impact prospect/player.
In regards to not protecting a player for the XD, it’s business and we should only be protecting T6/T4 guys, and any player expecting or assuming to be protected because they recently signed should be informed otherwise and is a wasted protection slot! If Chevy protects guys like BooLoo and DeMelo over guys like Apples and Harkins, then I will have lost all faith in Chevys ability to think rationally.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I agree. I think as of late Josh is doing much better in that role but he needs a competent top 4 partner to help him out if we want to optimize his game and pairing.

That has to be a priority for Chevy this offseason imo.

Honestly, I think we have in house options already (DeMelo) and will have more by next season (Heinola-Samberg). Mostly I would like Chevy to move out Paul's chew toys to force his hand to use players that are more talented vs good in the room. I get tired of hearing myself say it though so addition by subtraction and not more vets in the D core is my hope.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Honestly, I think we have in house options already (DeMelo) and will have more by next season (Heinola-Samberg). Mostly I would like Chevy to move out Paul's chew toys to force his hand to use players that are more talented vs good in the room. I get tired of hearing myself say it though so addition by subtraction and not more vets in the D core is my hope.

I dont have any disagreements. I would like to see Samberg given a run with Morrissey this year. The following composition next year would work fine for me:

Morrissey Samberg
Forbert Pionk
Heinola DeMelo

My opinion is that there is real pressure to win this year due to how much the org is spending during a pandemic so Chevy is allowing Maurice to do what he wants with the lineup. That includes giving Maurice the junk he feels he needs.

Reactions: ps241

Fastfrde

Oct 11, 2017
Winterpeg
I will preface this with I am really a big fan of Samberg, but to think he could step into the NHL and play in a top pairing role on his offside, imho, is a little much. However, I am in the camp that he needs some games to see what he can do and would be happy to be proven wrong in my doubts.

bumblebeeman

Mar 16, 2016

Why ask Wheeler to waive just to protect Harkins or Appleton lol? I'm not convinced they wouldn't take Wheeler also, it's not like that many PPG top line players will be available. I guess there's a chance he regresses so much he has to be bought out eventually, but also he could continue to produce then get traded for a 1st +. Meanwhile Harkins might be in Europe

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
They won't ask Wheeler to waive. They will likely protect

Wheeler
Scheif
Ehlers
Dubois
Connor
Copp
Appleton

Wouldn't shock me to see them trade Harkins in a deal for a D man. Hate to lose him but if he gets us a quality D that we can protect next year it will be worth it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad