What should we do at the Deadline?

• Sellers

• Buyers

• Stand Pat

Results are only viewable after voting.

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
So, the Deadline is essentially 1 week out. I've been on the Selling bandwagon for a while, but with the turn in the play I could see us standing pat now. What does everyone think we could do here? Also, I'd love to hear speculation on who we could move out and in. I would also enjoy hearing about why we could use the piece we are bringing in or what we could use to replace the piece leaving. Thanks everyone!

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
I'm going to say a Micheal Corleone buy, Poile 'finishes' all family business. He 'buys' Shea Weber's wounded ass from the Habs and he celebrates his 1000th game in a Preds uniform.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Can we check all 3 boxes? I mean, myself in my Armchair, I would be listening to all options. Strongly leaning towards "Stand Pat", however.

I think we're too close to a playoff spot now to truly Sell any of our more prominent players. After much debate and uncertainty for most of the season, we've finally arrived at the trade deadline wanting to win hockey games. Doesn't mean I won't listen on our impending UFAs, or Johansen/Turris if a bigger trade looks good and frees up our logjam at C while providing us other attractive benefits in other areas. But I'm not saying that's something I go out trying to do. Still, if the market is just too glorious to pass up, maybe something that looks a little like Selling tempts me. I'm not expecting anything to tempt Poile on the Sell front, however.

I'm not a fan of Buying even when we've looked more like contenders. So I'm less interested in that market than ever. I don't think it's very likely at all that anything I'd want is available at the kind of discounted price I'd be willing to pay. But who knows, never say never. Nothing major. If we got a really decent stay-at-home #5/6 D for a 4th round pick or less, or maybe some gritty leadership guy at a bargain price, maybe make a small purchase. I can't see any reason to spend more than a 4th round pick on these kind of small depth moves, however.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
I'm ok with almost anything we do, however, I have almost no confidence in this team and I would like to see us move one of Granlund/Smith and give Trenin a permanent spot in the top 6 if we can get a great return.

In order from what would make me happiest:

Sell Granlund or Smith for a 1st or 1st+ while buying low on veteran defensive depth.
Stand pat

Buy low on defensive depth

Trading for a player with term without using our first two picks.

Using anything over a 3rd to upgrade defense depth.

Reactions: NNCbama

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
If we're looking to give Trenin a spot I'd rather move one of Sissons, Watson, or Jarnkrok.
Those three aren't really bringing much in return, and since he got sent down I'd guess Hynes believes Trenin is not as good as them, at this moment. Though I think with Sissons or Jarkrok you could get a decent return if you traded them.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Those three aren't really bringing much in return, and since he got sent down I'd guess Hynes believes Trenin is not as good as them, at this moment. Though I think with Sissons or Jarkrok you could get a decent return if you traded them.
Don't really care about the return. We're still in "compete now" mode and adding Trenin while keeping both Smith and Granlund is the better grouping now and going forward. Sissons/Watson are redundant and Jarnkrok is only clearly more valuable than them when in a career year. Moving 1 or 2 of the 3 clears up some roster spots and saves us almost $4M in cap.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Selling Jarnkrok off wouldn't bother me. He's an alright utility player at a good price, but I don't think he does much for us beyond just being able to slot in anywhere. I don't really have any higher hopes for him or think of him as a player who moves the needle in the playoffs. Whereas Sissons and Watson... despite having poor seasons I still like to think they might bring a little something our team needs in a playoff series. :dunno:

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Add.

Add Ellis.
Add a Dillon or Demelo type that completely bumps Irwin/Weber/Hamhuis out of the 6 D.
Waive Irwin (plausible)
Waive Watson (wish)
I think our forwards have enough depth and talent to make a run if they are all pulling on the same rope.

Reactions: NightowlPred

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
The West is so wide open this season that I think we have to take our shot at making a playoff run. I wouldn't necessarily be looking to add anything, but I'm not selling any of our guys either. Since Hynes took over we have been the fourth best team in the Western conference and in the last 10 games have been the best team in the West. I try to look at the team as having a fresh start since the coaching change and by that metric we should be competing in my opinion.

NightowlPred

Apr 7, 2017
Add.

Add Ellis.
Add a Dillon or Demelo type that completely bumps Irwin/Weber/Hamhuis out of the 6 D.
Waive Irwin (plausible)
Waive Watson (wish)
I think our forwards have enough depth and talent to make a run if they are all pulling on the same rope.
Exactly my thoughts. Get a slightly more physical Dmen to play on the third with either Fabbro or Tinordi and the roster looks pretty good. If and only if Ellis gets back and in shape.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
It's been a bumpy road all season to get to this point. Hynes himself said that he believes the team is starting to gel and guys are starting to play for one another finally. Several players have said they are turning the corner and feeling more comfortable in the new system. Everybody is getting on the same page.

We're right in the hunt of the playoff race and there are a lot of reasons to be optimistic at the moment. Also, the Devils have already sold off some of their veterans, so that Hynes connection is being mined by other teams.

Given that is the situation, stirring the pot with major changes to the team would seem like a mad scientist flirting with disaster.

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
With DeMelo, Greene, Dillon, Scandella, and likely Martinez all spoken for it doesn't look like we are going to be buying a defenseman at least. Don't really see us going for a forward either so seems like we're most likely standing pat.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
With DeMelo, Greene, Dillon, Scandella, and likely Martinez all spoken for it doesn't look like we are going to be buying a defenseman at least. Don't really see us going for a forward either so seems like we're most likely standing pat.

This is where Poile comes out of nowhere and trades for someone like the Hartman of defense.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

predwings

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville TN
If anything I'd rather sell someone at this deadline's prices, but this is the year that Poile stands pat not because the players asked him but because it's the best choice

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
Dillon is the only one on the list that would have interested me. Our 2nd for him might not have been too terrible. We wouldn't have needed the retention on him either. Just because he's one of the summertime UFAs I'd be most interested in seeing the Preds actually sign, it might have been a little extra-worthwhile to get him in and check him out. With him I'd be thinking of it like an audition for a new contract, not exactly as a pure rental. So that would make the pricetag a little more palatable.

101st_fan

I taught Yoda
Oct 22, 2005
Near where sand and waves meet.
It may be a sellers' market but it isn't necessarily the most profitable one.

Look at the return for Toffoli ... a roster NHL player who happens to be a 4th liner impending UFA and truly a piece to make the salary numbers work, a prospect that was a 3rd rounder and is Grimaldi sized so not exactly a sure thing, a conditional pick that becomes a 4th in two years if conditions are met, then the 2nd rounder this year.

Green brought back a late round selected, undersized prospect that probably remains in the minors and a 2nd rounder next year.

Scandella and Dillon ... 2nd rounders with conditional pics in 2021.

DeMelo ... 3rd round pick.

The only players to bring back more than a 2nd were the guys with a little term left on their deals. Zucker with a conditional 1st, 2nd round selected defensive prospect, and Galchenyuk on his continuing tour of home locker rooms across the NHL ... Coleman bringing back Vancouver's 1st round pick in 2020 and Foote.

Rentals aren't bringing big returns at this point and I'd contend that the Caps got a pretty good deal on Dillon.

Porter Stoutheart

We Got Wood
Jun 14, 2017
It may be a sellers' market but it isn't necessarily the most profitable one.

Look at the return for Toffoli ... a roster NHL player who happens to be a 4th liner impending UFA and truly a piece to make the salary numbers work, a prospect that was a 3rd rounder and is Grimaldi sized so not exactly a sure thing, a conditional pick that becomes a 4th in two years if conditions are met, then the 2nd rounder this year.

Green brought back a late round selected, undersized prospect that probably remains in the minors and a 2nd rounder next year.

Scandella and Dillon ... 2nd rounders with conditional pics in 2021.

DeMelo ... 3rd round pick.

The only players to bring back more than a 2nd were the guys with a little term left on their deals. Zucker with a conditional 1st, 2nd round selected defensive prospect, and Galchenyuk on his continuing tour of home locker rooms across the NHL ... Coleman bringing back Vancouver's 1st round pick in 2020 and Foote.

Rentals aren't bringing big returns at this point and I'd contend that the Caps got a pretty good deal on Dillon.
Maybe you need to factor in just how good many of those players actually are? Like Scandella, DeMelo, Greene... they are not much better than a guy like Hamhuis right now. So getting 2nd round picks for them actually IS a pretty big deal.

And Madden is a fantastic prospect, equivalent to a 1st rounder himself. That's the one truly terrible terrible trade out of all these. Giving him up for a rental player is just insane.

At least when you give up a 2nd rounder - and particularly those ones later on in the round when you no longer have a few guys who individual teams might have had ranked late in the 1st slip through - then you are basically at a coin flip whether you ultimately get anything or not. It's not going to make or break any team if they win the coin flip or lose it. But then, neither will 20 games of Marco Scandella on your blueline. Although as an aggregate just having more picks and more prospects gives you more options... the more shots you take, the better chance you get one that goes in.

I thought the conditional 3rd on Dillon might have been on him re-signing, but instead it's going to be a 2nd+3rd either way. I would have liked to grab Dillon for our team, but a 2nd+3rd is a little more than I'd give up. It's nice to actually have 2 of each heading into the draft.

It sounds like Vegas has outbid us for Martinez also. I am entirely content with that. If the pricetag is two 2nds on him as reported, then that's also too much for a player who seems to be in decline. Although at least in his case he's not a pure rental - has an extra year left on his deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad