Trade Deadline Winners & Losers

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Thought it would be time to compare winners & losers from trades at the deadline. I have included earlier trades that were of significance.

Winners:

Sault Ste. Marie

Added Raddysh, Sambrook & Tammela?
Minus Fowler (Raaymaker early on)

-Already with a potent offense, with the addition of Raddysh & Sambrook, becomes lethal and will now be harder to contain. Fowler would not have helped them this year. If Tammela shows that is just an added bonus. They managed to get a back up and picks for a goalie that walked away.

Sarnia

Added Dineen, Ang & Pezzetta
Minus Henderson, Hinz & Lavallee

-Sting have added firepower from all 3 players while losing production from Hinz. Question is, did they do enough to get past Kitchener to have a date with SSM?

Kitchener

Added Brown, McEnemy, Smith & Culina (Stanley & Sherwood early on)
Minus Ladd, Henderson, Carter

-Kitchener being all-in before the season with the Stanley & Sherwood trades were smart to complete their checklist of requirements. The unknown will be what Culina will bring to the table. Saw him in Windsor last year and believe he is capable of stealing games but unfortunately he was behin. Ladd would not have help them this year and Henderson & Carter are caught in a numbers game. This will make for an interesting playoff. If Vukojevic signs that will be a huge acquisition. I will refer to them as the Kitchener Spitfires till the end of the year?

London

Added Dunkley, McMichael & Popov (Raaymaker early on)
Minus Pu, Jones, Thomas & Miletic (Johnson early on)

-Being on the fence, the Knights made the right decision to recoup picks and acquire young bodies to set up for the future. The timely Raaymaker deal mentally turned their season around and will likely be their starter next year.

Windsor

Added Douglas, Morgan, Shankar, Ladd & Schiemenz (Carrick & Kutkevicius early on)
Minus Luchuk, Vilardi, Day, Brown, McEnemy, Kadlec & Kozhevnikov

-A much needed rebuild after winning last years Memorial Cup, Rychel sold off all valued asset minus DiPietro for a return of young players and a much needed 10-2nds (2 conditional) & 4-3rds (1 conditional). Personally the rebuild would have been better if they had moved DiPietro but still a great job. Highly touted Schiemenz to replace Kozhevnikov remains to be seen. Be interesting if they can land Carrick.

Kingston

Added Vilardi, Day, Pu, Jones & Byrne (Hotchkiss early on)
Minus Morgan, Dunkley & Popov

-With the talk of OS looking to trade for Helvig, Kingston appeared to be in a rebuild early on, but with their success in November, they did a complete 180. Picking up 4 Memorial Cup champion players has turn them into true contenders. It cost them their last 2 first rounders but you have to pay to play. Great job in going all -in.

Hamilton

Added Stillman, Thomas & Mattinen (Landry, Moore & Caamano early on)
Minus McMichael, McCourt & Webb (Kutkevicius, Roberts early on)

-All-in Hamilton has a lot to prove after being snubbed for this years Memorial Cup. Thomas adds a lot of fire power to what Moore/Caamano already brought them. The size of Stillman and Mattinen will make it tough for opponents. Webb trade helps them recoup some picks. Their trades cost them their last 2 first rounders like Kingston. Like Sarnia, did they do enough?

North Bay

Added Struthers, Henderson (Propp early on)
Minus Dineen & McKenzie (Lyle early on)

-Looking to make the playoffs this year they managed to get assets and picks for Dineen & McKenzie.

Losers:

Owen Sound

Added Lafreniere, McKenzie, Robinson (Bowman, Lyszczarcyk, Vella, Propp Verity & Lyle early on)
Minus Beamish, Struthers, Daniels, Bowman, Vella, King, Propp Verity

-Where do you start? Being the team to beat at the start of the season, they became more of a conundrum as the season wore on. Has a team had more revolving door of goalies (curious to see what the record is)? I thought that their lack of securing a top goaltender (their Achilles heel) while they were winning was their demise. They were winning games but were giving up a lot of weak goals. Then they get Propp only to trade him. I guess they thought they were going to get Helvig. They should have kept Propp till Helvig showed up then trade for Lyle.
-They are the 2008 stock market this year as the biggest loser in my opinion. Surprise they didn't sell off without a proven number one goalie.

Flint

Added McCourt (Mattinen & Connor early on)
Minus Mattinen (Moore & Caamano early on)

-I included them as losers for not getting enough for Moore & Caamano and overpaying for Mattinen only to trade him at the deadline.

Barrie

Added Luchuk & Sokolov (Lazarev, TJ Fergus early on)
Minus Douglas & Lipanov (Landry, Nizhnikov & Propp early on)

- I am on the fence with Barrie. The Nizhnikov trade has to sting considering what they gave up to get him. They then make a splash with Luchuk and only add Sokolov at the deadline. The good part is that they will get some playoff experience for next year.

Any you would add to the list?
Kingston/Sault Ste. Marie final after all said and done.

Edit: Vukojevic is headed to Kitchener. That is going to be one great western finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: LDN

Ward Cornell

Dec 22, 2007

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Thought it would be time to compare winners & losers from trades at the deadline. I have included earlier trades that were of significance.
Losers:
Flint

Added McCourt (Mattinen & Connor early on)
Minus Mattinen (Moore & Caamano early on)

-I included them as losers for not getting enough for Moore & Caamano and overpaying for Mattinen only to trade him at the deadline.
I would agree that they did not get enough for Moore/Caamano, especially when you look and what other teams got for trading away their own elite pairs (Day/Vilardi, Sambrook/Raddysh), but the Mattinen thing is a wash when you look at what the paid vs what they got in return. They essentially have traded a 3rd round pick for a 5th round pick+McCourt (a 3rd rounder himself).

Last edited:

EvenSteven

Sep 3, 2009
Don't really know now. Rangers haven't played them with the new 'Kitchener Spitfires". Never count those chickens before they hatch.

We hung right in there with the Soo in two of the three games we played them. The third game, where are the Soo blew us out, was based more on bad goaltending and the subsequent team collapse than anything.

I think should we meet in the conference final, it'll be a long series

Reactions: bobber

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
I would agree that they did not get enough for Moore/Caamano, especially when you look and what other teams got for trading away their own elite pairs (Day/Vilardi, Sambrook/Raddysh), but the Mattinen thing is a wash when you look at what the paid vs what they got in return. They essentially have traded a 3rd round pick for a 5th round pick+McCourt (a 3rd rounder himself).
Everything hinges on what McCourt develops into. Assuming Mattiinen returns then it is McCourt and a 5th for (2)3rds which sounds great but the 2nds are a differential of 4 years. What would the extra cost be obtain those earlier 2nds-a 3rd and a 6th maybe?

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
We hung right in there with the Soo in two of the three games we played them. The third game, where are the Soo blew us out, was based more on bad goaltending and the subsequent team collapse than anything.

I think should we meet in the conference final, it'll be a long series
Thinking it will be them in the western finals. Too close to call knowing that Vukojevic is now with the team.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
Everything hinges on what McCourt develops into. Assuming Mattiinen returns then it is McCourt and a 5th for (2)3rds which sounds great but the 2nds are a differential of 4 years. What would the extra cost be obtain those earlier 2nds-a 3rd and a 6th maybe?
I would predict that it really isn't going to matter what year the 2nd fall. I think they will trade them away to stock up for a playoff run in two year's time.

Canadian Game

Jul 18, 2005
Ontario
Great summary. Enjoyed the read.

Just a couple quick edits to point out related to Hamilton: Kutkevicius wasn't an addition. Hamilton traded him to Windsor over the summer. For Hamilton and Flint, Hamilton traded (Connor) Roberts.

In a way I thought Niagara was a bit of a loser at the trade deadline by acquiring an OA rental in Miletic for 3 2nd rounders. I understand the purpose of the trade to an extent but I'm sure they could have added some veteran depth of little less calibre for much less. The eastern championship will most likely come down to 2 of Hamilton, Kingston, and Barrie. Niagara is in a much better position to build and save assets for next year.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
From a rebuild stand point how do you think Sudbury did?

Added:

Lipanov, Stratis, Niznikov, Lavallee and picks.(early on Rhodes, Blaisdell, Lagunesse, Culina,)

Deleted:

OGrady, Pezzetta, Sokolov, Culina, Lagunesse and picks

WJ

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
Great summary. Enjoyed the read.

Just a couple quick edits to point out related to Hamilton: Kutkevicius wasn't an addition. Hamilton traded him to Windsor over the summer. For Hamilton and Flint, Hamilton traded (Connor) Roberts.

In a way I thought Niagara was a bit of a loser at the trade deadline by acquiring an OA rental in Miletic for 3 2nd rounders. I understand the purpose of the trade to an extent but I'm sure they could have added some veteran depth of little less calibre for much less. The eastern championship will most likely come down to 2 of Hamilton, Kingston, and Barrie. Niagara is in a much better position to build and save assets for next year.
Thanks, you are correct. Has now been changed.

4 Bobby ORR

Nov 26, 2008
South Detroit
From a rebuild stand point how do you think Sudbury did?

Added:

Lipanov, Stratis, Niznikov, Lavallee and picks.(early on Rhodes, Blaisdell, Lagunesse, Culina,)

Deleted:

OGrady, Pezzetta, Sokolov, Culina, Lagunesse and picks

WJ
Last year I thought Sudbury would have been a contender this year. For a rebuild, they did well especially with the picks from a disgruntled Lalonde.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Last year I thought Sudbury would have been a contender this year. For a rebuild, they did well especially with the picks from a disgruntled Lalonde.

I think Sudbury had all intentions of contending to start the year. However after the first two games of the season the Wolves lost Carson with a broken wrist who has not been the same since returning. And the second game of the season they lost Valentini who would have been the playmaker they needed to kick start the offence and put them in a good spot in the standings. If those two didn't get hurt and then Levin, OGrady and Rhodes shortly after then the deadline would have been totally different. That along with inconsistent goaltending and the Wolves faltered to the position they were in by Christmas. Management did what they could IMO and what smart management did and that was get what they could for most of the older players so the future would be much easier to navigate and ice competitive teams. Adding possibly a Quinton Byfield will be the single best thing that could happen to this organization. Along with a high import pick, to go along all the other drafted players and returning line up. That on top of a decent draft cupboard. The short term looks ugly but the long term we should be in good shape.

WJ

NOA

Apr 17, 2015
Most people look at just December/January moves. I always consider the entire season

The biggest winners from teams buying
1) SSM
2) Hamilton
3) Kitchener

It’s about what you added and what you paid to add.

The biggest winners from rebuilding teams
1) Windsor
2) London
3) Erie

It’s not a coincidence that these are the 3 teams who added 2001s.

Biggest losers
1) Owen Sound
2) Mississauga
3) Peterborough

member 71782

4 Bobby Orr, excellent job.

My thoughts

1. SSM did what they needed to do to solidify themselves as the favourites. Paid a fair price relevant to other deals. Now they need to get it done.

2. Kitchener may or may not have done enough to knock SSM from the favourites spot, who could but considering they made solid additions in positions they needed to from a buy/sell perspective they addressed their needs while retaining solid futures.

3. Hamilton did everything they could to be considered favourites in the East. Time will tell if it's enough but considering they were able to make sure they have picks to start the turn around with in the 2018 draft while going all in deserves credit.

4. London on the selling side comes out with solid picks, solid youth for a quick turn around from rebuild to potential contender quickly.

5. Kingston went no holds barred in. The acquisitions are all proven and fit with the dynamic of the team. Leaving themselves with no high picks will hurt, especially if they have any mis steps in the post season. I like the make up of their team, decent speed, top end skill, size and top goaltending are all part of a recipe for success. If it all comes together they could very well come out on top.

6. Windsor adding youth and picks for the future. I would put them a year behind London adding kids that are a bit younger. Not getting a lot of picks early, they did get some but while they did well moving DiPietro and a couple of other bodies next year would complete the rebuild and set them up as a potential top team in 2020/21 and beyond.

7. Erie got a nice return for pieces moved. Could have/should have done more but staying within a team philosophy that has brought them a ton of success consistently for four straight years is tough to argue with. Recent success along with proven results puts them on the same target as Windsor, 2020/21 and beyond. Looking forward to seeing them return to form.

8T. Barrie, with a one year turn around from worst to challenging for tops in the East is amazing. They were also working with limited assets and still managed to add in strategic ways that fit with the teams strengths.

8T. Sarnia, ditto what Barrie did. They had more assets, spent a bit more but like Barrie, didn't completely mortgage the future while still building on their strengths.

Those would be my winners. Losers, those who decided to stand pat or those who made WTF moves I won't go in to. We all know some did the right thing others had circumstances change their fortunes. The 9 above would be, on the surface my deadline winners even though the winner title may not be known for a couple of years depending on how things pan out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad