Speculation: Trade Deadline: Who will we see in red? (Part 2) (MOD warning #661)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I agree on the Filppula comment from the last thread. I think they will swallow hard and pay him north of 5 million. He better be ready to be public enemy number 1 at that point on this team, because if he doesn't produce at that figure he is going to hear about it a lot.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
Sure. But what message are you sending to your team if you do that?

I'm for a deal.
I don't mind trading away a guy like Cleary or excess like White -- Guys who can easily be replaced or even improved on from within.

But I don't see wisdom in trading a Filppula, however.

You don't tell your team to go out and bust their ass while you're throwing in the towel

It's asset management. You could say same about trading Cleary. We might not view him as top 6 player but coaches(and maybe some players) do. I don't understand how trading Cleary is fine but trading Filppula is throwing in the towel.

Besides we have young players who can play (maybe not as well but they weren't horrible by any means). We can always use Tatar, Nyquist, also we got Sammy, Helm, maybe Bert. Hardly throwing a towel.

The Wings want to re-sign Filppula and are currently negotiating with him.

Yeah I'm just saying they have to figure this out fast if they want to trade Filp, to give us at least a week to negotiate trades (but they are not which is suggesting they are not really going to trade him)

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I agree on the Filppula comment from the last thread. I think they will swallow hard and pay him north of 5 million. He better be ready to be public enemy number 1 at that point on this team, because if he doesn't produce at that figure he is going to hear about it a lot.

If they sign him for north of 5 million he better score 25-30 goals and get at least 70-75 points every year.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
If they sign him for north of 5 million he better score 25-30 goals and get at least 70-75 points every year.

If it's north of 5M I would hope it's for a short term deal(2~3 years).

I would be unhappy if it's 5M+ for 5 years+

I read somewhere they are trying to get Howard on 6+ years on 5M per

VladTheImpaler

Go Wings
Feb 27, 2012

I saw that too in regards to Howie's deal. I am fine with that...that is still a pretty movable goalie contract in case PM proves he is ready to be a #1 in the next few years.

CloneHakanPlease*

I honestly think Howard is vastly underrated but I don't like that length. Give him 500k more for 3 years or something if it can be done.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Five million for Flip based on one season's worth of production is ludicrous. He should max out at four million per year. Holland can either man up and trade him or let him walk. His disappearing act last year against Nashville didn't do him any favors either.

Howard needs to be better in the playoffs before i hitch my wagon on to him for that kind of length and money.

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
I'm pretty sure he's not taking 2-3 year contract.

Yeah I just hope Holland doesn't cave and give everything Filp is asking for.

I honestly think Howard is vastly underrated but I don't like that length. Give him 500k more for 3 years or something if it can be done.

I never liked goalie deal longer than 3~4 years. Goalie can move up and down so much in such short amount of time.

I would be fine with 3~5 year deal. 6~8 probably not.

EDIT: If it was up to me I would offer

Filp: 2 years 5M or 3 years 4.5M or 4 years 4M or 5 years 3.75M per

If not trade him.

Howard: 3~5 years 5M

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Yeah I'm just saying they have to figure this out fast if they want to trade Filp, to give us at least a week to negotiate trades (but they are not which is suggesting they are not really going to trade him)

Maybe. I don't think there is any chance the Wings trade Filppula though. They view him as a main cog, and I doubt they give up on signing him just because of the trade deadline.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
If rumors are true and Flip is asking Grabo money, he should be traded. 5x4.5 is absolute max imo and that's without NTC.

Just don't let him walk for nothing, get some assets if he's not re-signed.

But as we're still in the playoff spot, I don't see Holland trading him.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
If rumors are true and Flip is asking Grabo money, he should be traded. 5x4.5 is absolute max imo and that's without NTC.

Just don't let him walk for nothing, get some assets if he's not re-signed.

But as we're still in the playoff spot, I don't see Holland trading him.

Keep in mind that Grabo had Leafs handcuffed, too. They had a few bottom 6 type guys, and Bozak. Kadri was getting close (and is now obviously emerging), but they were kind of strapped for a legitimate top 6 C. Bozak has been pretty good but isn't really the type of player you bank on to carry you. Burke had to give him what he wanted, more or less.

We have Dats for at least another year, Z, Helm (yeah, bottom 6er), Jarnkrok on the way, Andy, Sheahan kinda close, etc. No need to break the bank on this guy.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007

Given his versatility and two-way play, plus the experience and continuity he provides, I'd be satisfied with 20 goals/40 assists for $5M+.

I'd be fine with something like 5x5 for Flip.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
After seeing the prices for Morrow and Murray, I seriously doubt the Wings are in the mix for a player. It's just too expensive and the Wings have too much depth already. (and Holland seems to care more about depth than skill AT those deep positions.)

last_sd

Jun 9, 2007
After seeing the prices for Morrow and Murray, I seriously doubt the Wings are in the mix for a player. It's just too expensive and the Wings have too much depth already. (and Holland seems to care more about depth than skill AT those deep positions.)

More reason to trade UFA to be players that we are not planning to re-sign!! We need a big sale sign.

White and Cleary for sure
Maybe Miller, Filp, Huskins (depends if we want to re-sign them AND the return)

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007

Holland barely spends when we look good, no way he buys when we are in this shape.

I hope he sells.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
My fear with Fil isn't that he's gonna get overpaid, but that we will pay a lot for something better spent elsewhere on the roster.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
With the new cap system in place 5M-6M is going to be the new going rate for 2nd line pivots, or 50-65 point guys, if they're able to play good defense bump it up another 250k-500k.

Really if we can get a 2nd+3rd for White I think we should do it. The only way I'd be hesitant is if Carlo/Quincey aren't going to be ready to go for longer then expected.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Given his versatility and two-way play, plus the experience and continuity he provides, I'd be satisfied with 20 goals/40 assists for $5M+.

I'd be fine with something like 5x5 for Flip.

Not sure I'd bet on 20G/40A from Flip- he's managed to reach either total a grand total of once each. He does provide experience and continuity, but IMO his versatility is overrated- he hasn't shown that he can center a scoring line, and while he's a nice defensive player, he's not a primary PK guy either.

On a team loaded with finesse players who prefer the perimeter to driving the net, he's just one of the guys. Rather see one of Gus/Tatar take his spot and use the saved cap space towards a scorer with size like Horton.

jaster

Jun 8, 2007
Not sure I'd bet on 20G/40A from Flip- he's managed to reach either total a grand total of once each. He does provide experience and continuity, but IMO his versatility is overrated- he hasn't shown that he can center a scoring line, and while he's a nice defensive player, he's not a primary PK guy either.

I'm not sure I'd bet on 20/40 from Flip either, those are just the numbers I'd be happy with if we're paying him $5M+. And really, something shy of that is ok too. 55 points I can live with at that cap hit.

I prefer Flip on the wing, but he's a natural center, so the versatility is there, even if the offensive numbers have dipped in the past when he's in the middle. However, I think who flanks him is a bigger factor than Flip's ability to distribute the puck. I'm confident in his ability to dish it around.

The fact that he isn't a primary PKer means nothing to me, because I don't think, ideally, a guy like Flip should be PKing very much, even with his defensive abilities. It's why you have guys like Helm and Miller in your bottom-6, so guys like Flip can get more IT at ES, where there is a bigger gap between Flip and Miller than there is short-handed.

On a team loaded with finesse players who prefer the perimeter to driving the net, he's just one of the guys. Rather see one of Gus/Tatar take his spot and use the saved cap space towards a scorer with size like Horton.

Far too risky for my taste. I think it's doubtful we get a hold of someone like Horton to begin with. Add in the uncertainty around players like Gus and Tatar, who are unproven and haven't shown they can do what Flip does, and I think you are undervaluing Filppula.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Yeah Filppula has only had 60 points once, because he has only been a top 6 winger once. Did you guys forget he was a 3rd line center for 99% of his career. How many 3rd line center's you guys see putting up 60 points?

I won't be mad if he stays or goes, but let's get the facts straight. If he stays at wing I'd bet on him getting 55+ points every year for the next 5-6 years. Nyquist or Tatar could potentially match that, but there's no guarantee. Flip's bigger and better defensively than both of them.

kuick

Tatar Sauce
Aug 15, 2009
Grand Rapids
How much leverage does Filp actually have? He's had what, 1/2 realgood games this season? He's barely over a 40 point pace in an 82 game season. I guess he's got the 'injury' excuse, but still. Needs to dazzle before the offseason if he's expecting that kind of cash.

Nyquist and Tatar are ready to take his spot if he's not careful. I'd love to keep him and have all 3 but not at that caphit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad