GDT: Trade Deadline week around the league

Status
Not open for further replies.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I don't particularly like any of the players currently out there, though I could understand going with Chychrun as a long term play if they were just looking to use the cap space.

I think if we are going to improve the current roster, its going to have to be shaking free someone who isn't on anyone's radar. That's just my opinion.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
The issue is that we are going to want to use the space somehow. Highly doubt we don't use it at all. Question is if we pull a Minnesota and start mining picks from teams as a 3rd party.

Objectively a better use of the cap space than not using it, but expect to be the butt of a bunch of jokes on the main boards for a few days after (they'll call us a poverty franchise or something for buying draft picks which won't make sense but whatever).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
The issue is that we are going to want to use the space somehow. Highly doubt we don't use it at all. Question is if we pull a Minnesota and start mining picks from teams as a 3rd party.

Objectively a better use of the cap space than not using it, but expect to be the butt of a bunch of jokes on the main boards for a few days after (they'll call us a poverty franchise or something for buying draft picks which won't make sense but whatever).
Buying draft picks only gets you so far. At a certain point, we need high end pieces, and not AHL depth guys, and we need to leverage some of this to get the top end talent we want.

I would really hate it if we used our cap space just to facilitate a bunch of other trades or bought picks from other teams (because its highly unlikely we would be buying 1st rounders).

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Buying draft picks only gets you so far. At a certain point, we need high end pieces, and not AHL depth guys, and we need to leverage some of this to get the top end talent we want.

I would really hate it if we used our cap space just to facilitate a bunch of other trades or bought picks from other teams (because its highly unlikely we would be buying 1st rounders).

I'm not saying we should, I'm saying at this point looking at what's out there it seems like the moves that make sense for us have passed us by. Chychrun isn't really a need at all (only so much ice time, plus he's only played 60 games twice in his career, he's never healthy), apparently we're out on Schmaltz plus some here are saying he's just "more of the same". It's the front office's job to find something to do here, of course, but if nothing's available, spending assets on something that doesn't make you better just so that you can say you spent the assets isn't good either.

I agree with you on the team need though.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho

florida-panthers-eric-staal.gif

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm not saying we should, I'm saying at this point looking at what's out there it seems like the moves that make sense for us have passed us by. Chychrun isn't really a need at all (only so much ice time, plus he's only played 60 games twice in his career, he's never healthy), apparently we're out on Schmaltz plus some here are saying he's just "more of the same". It's the front office's job to find something to do here, of course, but if nothing's available, spending assets on something that doesn't make you better just so that you can say you spent the assets isn't good either.

I agree with you on the team need though.
I agree with all of this.

But the front office has to know if they don't make any meaningful deals with the cap space they have and the pieces we have in terms of prospects and picks that we can use, and we still flame out early in the playoffs, there is going to be hell to pay among the fanbase. The feel good times are going to be over this summer if they do nothing now and flame out again.

I'm not saying that there's a particularly good move to make right now, but in terms of optics, its a critical moment for the franchise in its current run.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I think it's more likely they use extra space for players like Vrana or Puljujarvi than use it for picks.

Fits more in the shorter term without giving up anything in the long-term.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think it's more likely they use extra space for players like Vrana or Puljujarvi than use it for picks.

Fits more in the shorter term without giving up anything in the long-term.

And I would hate us bringing on more reclamation projects. We have enough of those right now, we need guys that we can bring in and know they are going to play and contribute right away. If we're making a deal it has to be for a roster improvement, not a roll of the dice on if they can find their game again.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
And I would hate us bringing on more reclamation projects. We have enough of those right now, we need guys that we can bring in and know they are going to play and contribute right away. If we're making a deal it has to be for a roster improvement, not a roll of the dice on if they can find their game again.
I think they can do both this deadline with the space available. I don't want that to be the only move.

But once they make a move like Henrique or Boeser, I'd prefer picking up Vrana to a draft pick or two. And even if it is the only move, I like that type of move better than a pick. Even if it's remote, there's at least a chance that a Vrana, or a Puljujarvi, or even a Monahan helps in the playoffs this year or next.

Picks won't help.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think they can do both this deadline with the space available. I don't want that to be the only move.

But once they make a move like Henrique or Boeser, I'd prefer picking up Vrana to a draft pick or two. And even if it is the only move, I like that type of move better than a pick. Even if it's remote, there's at least a chance that a Vrana, or a Puljujarvi, or even a Monahan helps in the playoffs this year or next.

Picks won't help.
Ok that's fine.

We need one big move that improves the current roster, and ideally shores up the Top 6 with another goal scorer that allows Jarvis to play on the 4th line on the stretch run/playoffs.

After that, if there's room for a reclamation project, sure why not.

Reactions: Weltschmerz
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad