GDT: Trades & Free Agency

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I mean our defense is horrible. Our C ice position is terrible besides Matthews. JT is very slow mentally and physically and just simply not good at hockey especially not up the middle. Holmberg is not a 3C. Samsonov is not a good goalie technically at all, he battles but Woll is much better technically.

You cant have a below average goalie, below average defense and only one effective C. That's the backbone of your team. Wingers are just simply the least important position and that is our strongest and deepest position by far. We know this as we've been down this path before.

Coaching is a problem too as Boston clearly made an adjustment to their breakout that foiled us tonight. Its definitely a personnel problem but its not necessarily our star players fault, put them in a different situation and they would thrive. Look at Eichel, marked as toxic and a "non-winner" and that's clearly not the case. Skilled players are skilled players just takes the right environment and team.
The thing is that we lack Alpha on the team. Eichel was in the alpha role with the Sabres, as ROR wasn’t ROR yet. Once Eichel went to Vegas, he plays the scoring role as Stone, Mass and even Pietra are the alphas on the team.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
I tried to come up with a Marner trade and failed. Maybe something with Chicago centering around Jones? Otherwise, I just can't...

This game was so depressing. F me.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I tried to come up with a Marner trade and failed. Maybe something with Chicago centering around Jones? Otherwise, I just can't...

Honestly, I'd take a pretty soft package as long as it came with a lot of capspace. We're not getting a home run trade at this point, but we can still get some useful pieces, a good chunk of capspace, and a culture/roster construction change (which this stale team needs - tinkering around the edges hasn't worked).

We should have traded him 4-5 years ago when his value was much higher, but now he's a UFA in a year and his playoff hockey just continues to get showcased to the league, so I imagine his value is down.

Reactions: meefer

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
I think we should try and target a guy like a Brandon Montour this off-season. Rielly clearly can't QB a #1 PP to the capability that is needed during the playoffs and Montour would add some much needed mobility to our backend as well.

Also, I hope we move on from Marner this offseason and maybe finally acquire a steady goalie.

Reactions: ToneDog

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021

We would have to take on a bunch of short-term contracts, unfortunately.

I'd rather Marner leave for nothing than take on Seth Jones' contract.

Reactions: ToneDog and meefer

Dion TheFluff

Jun 22, 2015
Good point.

The one thing we can't do is take up long-term bad contracts. Short-term is fine because this team is screwed until Captain Mumbles gets off the books anyways.
yeah. I imagine if we retained 2 - 3 mil on Marner, there would be no shortage of suites, even considering his playoff struggles.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
As much as Marner takes the heat, I’d argue that at they all fail in the playoffs. Heck, Matthews was sick? Bergeron(?) played through a punctured lung, one of them did. I don’t know, but my frustration is high. People dog JT, but to my eyes he’s the one who tries the most, it just ain’t there anymore and we knew that would happen. Nylander’s first game back and there was a board battle behind the Bruins net in the 2nd and Willy glides up and simply stands there, watching and doing sfa. I’m an old fart, love watching talented players, but I do miss that ‘do anything’ nature we so obviously lack. None of them have it.

Reactions: ToneDog

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
yeah. I imagine if we retained 2 - 3 mil on Marner, there would be no shortage of suites, even considering his playoff struggles.
Only owed $775K after July 1st so it is like you get a free year. The team you trade him to has to agree to resign him for the Leafs to get back market value. See PLD trade.

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
As much as Marner takes the heat, I’d argue that at they all fail in the playoffs. Heck, Matthews was sick? Bergeron(?) played through a punctured lung, one of them did. I don’t know, but my frustration is high. People dog JT, but to my eyes he’s the one who tries the most, it just ain’t there anymore and we knew that would happen. Nylander’s first game back and there was a board battle behind the Bruins net in the 2nd and Willy glides up and simply stands there, watching and doing sfa. I’m an old fart, love watching talented players, but I do miss that ‘do anything’ nature we so obviously lack. None of them have it.
Bergeron sat out games in a Series against us. Odd example.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Granada vs Osasuna
    Granada vs Osasuna
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $10.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $40.00