Post-Game Talk: Trade Deadline 2024 (buy low, sell high) - poll added (3/8/24)

What grade do you give BMac for the TDL?

• A

Votes: 22 31.4%
  • B

Votes: 36 51.4%
  • C

Votes: 8 11.4%
  • D

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • F

Votes: 3 4.3%

• Total voters

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Couldn't agree more. If they happen to make the playoffs, the kids will gain valuable playoff experience. The value of that is hard to overstate. Especially now that they're stepping into more prominent roles. That's how teams mature together and build lasting chemistry.

If the playoffs should happen it also builds on the experience of the Hershey grads who won the Calder Cup last year. It creates a winner environment and Carberry will implement never quit attitude.

Todos a la Calle

Mar 30, 2015
Mexico City
Here's my (overly detailed) hypothesis of how the Kuzy trade went down, based on timing and some stuff that was said during the process:

* Kuzy has had enough and demands a trade
* Washington is like "some folks might be interested but they want to make sure you're clean"
* To prove this, Kuzy agrees to join the player assistance program, comes back after a month or whatever it was
* Orlov sells Carolina coaching staff
* Washington doesn't want to eat 50% of his salary and so they waive Kuzy to see if they can get rid of him that way, no takers
* Lots of moving parts at the deadline, Carolina is in on various deals, some materialize and others don't .... as the deadline looms, they're like "ah lets give it a shot" ... GMBM somehow convinces them to give up a 3rd in order to eat half of his salary.

I could be totally off! But if I had to guess, at least part of this is true.

HandsomeTom43

May 2, 2018
If they do make a run, one would have to imagine Pacioretty will be carrying his weight with Mantha gone and Oshie out. Worth hanging on to for me plus he seems like a great professional veteran presence to be around the kids.

We’re going to be conservative sellers next season too and that’s fine. After next year we can really take a shot at getting back to the playoffs with the cap space and our young guys becoming more experienced.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I like GMBM's we get good value or no deal ethos. Sometimes the best trades are the ones you don't make...
"I didn't see you doing anything"

"Shitting the bed isn't better than not shitting the bed".

I appreciate the way he avoids doing demonstrative “we did something” moves and sticks to his process

Reactions: HeyMattyB

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
utterly ridiculous from pacioretty. a team gives him a shot after two major injuries and he repays them by blocking any trade offer. what a joke man.

“finish what he started” like what finishing 7th in the metro and playing like ass? wow. some player.
That conditional 4th rounder isn’t going to matter. This seems like a wild overreaction. Maybe take the human element into the equation? The man didn’t want to either uproot his family or leave his family for an extended period of time.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
utterly ridiculous from pacioretty. a team gives him a shot after two major injuries and he repays them by blocking any trade offer. what a joke man.

“finish what he started” like what finishing 7th in the metro and playing like ass? wow. some player.
Oh dear, you are a sour one, aren’t you.

So you think a person should uproot their entire lives (and family), just….because Jay Beagles fan club wants him to?

Do you have young kids? Have you had to leave them for work?

Max has FIVE kids, all under the age of 13. Yet you blame him for not wanting to ditch them for 3mo+?

Ok, man

Last edited:

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
Here's my (overly detailed) hypothesis of how the Kuzy trade went down, based on timing and some stuff that was said during the process:

* Kuzy has had enough and demands a trade
* Washington is like "some folks might be interested but they want to make sure you're clean"
* To prove this, Kuzy agrees to join the player assistance program, comes back after a month or whatever it was
* Orlov sells Carolina coaching staff
* Washington doesn't want to eat 50% of his salary and so they waive Kuzy to see if they can get rid of him that way, no takers
* Lots of moving parts at the deadline, Carolina is in on various deals, some materialize and others don't .... as the deadline looms, they're like "ah lets give it a shot" ... GMBM somehow convinces them to give up a 3rd in order to eat half of his salary.

I could be totally off! But if I had to guess, at least part of this is true.
I can get behind this theory

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
Just got home from work and catching up on the rest of the day and GOOD f***ING LORD VEGAS and GOOD f***ING LORD GRIER

Reactions: PlushMinus

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
That Hertl to Vegas deal is horrendous for SJ. Wtf is Grier smoking? Retained for 6? years and sent out 2 3rd rounders
Grier also got fleeced by the Penguins in theKarlsson deal.
This is what happens when tanking is the only thing that matters. Your high paid past their prime guys aren't as valuable as you believe... I'm speaking on all the guys wanting to trade Carlson, Oshie, etc.

San Jose is gonna be stuck in a long ass rebuild.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto

Ridiculous take. He negotiated a NMC specifically for that reason. He is well within his contractual rights to bar trades he doesn’t want.

Besides, I’m not sure teams would’ve paid us a fortune for a guy who scored 3 goals in 26 games.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
11 top 3 round picks in the next two drafts now. Plenty of trade ammo but we'll see what sort of game becomes available. If nothing pans out in the way of younger talent via trade that should be a head start on amassing serious organizational pipeline depth if they play their cards right. I've always believed they'd suck post-Ovi but it may be avoidable if they're very strategic the next couple years. Balancing the draft/UFA/trades...and some luck..will be needed to get boosted back into contention.

C/D remains the biggest question long-term and if they do end up using most of those picks they'd probably be wise to load up at those positions and see what sticks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad