Speculation: Trade and Free Agency Talk - LII

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
I think Greenway for Strome would be the best we could hope for.

Helps round out the roster too. He would be just fine with Gaudreau and Fiala.

Kaprizov-Ek-Zuccarello
Fiala-Strome-Gaudreau
Foligno-Hartman-Duhaime
Rask-Sturm-Bjugstad
Pitlick

Strome may not be a great skater, but his offensive instincts and passing ability would be welcome on that second line.
i agree completely and hope we are exploring it. both players seem to be on the outs with their current GM so could be a solid option for both players.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
Yup ...greenway looks completely disinterested in playing 80% of the time and I’m about done watching him carry the puck into the boards , give a strong arm to create separation and then toss the puck away trying to create something while lumbering towards the front of the net.

Reactions: Victorious Secret

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I have been a Greenway fan, but I am cooling on him, especially after seeing what Duhaime is able to bring to the team. A motivated Greenway is stronger, and a much better passer, but Duhaime is faster, still has above average strength and grit, and might end up developing some offense. He also might be able to drop the gloves a bit...not the most important thing, but it's a thing. Greenway isn't willing to do that.

Monahan is scoreless in his first 5 games, and has been playing bottom six minutes. Lindholm has clearly eclipsed him as CAL's #1C. Some think that Monahan's hip still isn't right, even after surgery, as he looks pretty slow out there. Some are calling him a cap dump at this point(one more year after this @ 6.3M).

Greenway + Rask + 3rd/Giroux for Monahan? Monahan might be a project, but he's still only 27 yo. He has accomplished far more than Strome in this league, can win a FO, and IMO play on the PP. I know the CAL fans are fed up with Monahan, and Sutter is not crazy about him, either. It's possible that he can be had for cheap, sort of like Trochek a couple of years ago, with similar injury concerns. It could be that he just needs a change of scenery. The man has had a 82 pt season before, and has scored 60+ points 4 times. If nothing else, he might be a nice stop gap till Marat/Rossi/Wright are ready.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I have been a Greenway fan, but I am cooling on him, especially after seeing what Duhaime is able to bring to the team. A motivated Greenway is stronger, and a much better passer, but Duhaime is faster, still has above average strength and grit, and might end up developing some offense. He also might be able to drop the gloves a bit...not the most important thing, but it's a thing. Greenway isn't willing to do that.

Monahan is scoreless in his first 5 games, and has been playing bottom six minutes. Lindholm has clearly eclipsed him as CAL's #1C. Some think that Monahan's hip still isn't right, even after surgery, as he looks pretty slow out there. Some are calling him a cap dump at this point(one more year after this @ 6.3M).

Greenway + Rask + 3rd/Giroux for Monahan? Monahan might be a project, but he's still only 27 yo. He has accomplished far more than Strome in this league, can win a FO, and IMO play on the PP. I know the CAL fans are fed up with Monahan, and Sutter is not crazy about him, either. It's possible that he can be had for cheap, sort of like Trochek a couple of years ago, with similar injury concerns. It could be that he just needs a change of scenery. The man has had a 82 pt season before, and has scored 60+ points 4 times. If nothing else, he might be a nice stop gap till Marat/Rossi/Wright are ready.
With health, age and contract status taken into account I'm pretty sure Greenway's substantially more valuable than Monahan right now. It's quite likely he'd be a downgrade on Hartman at 2C, and if he fails there he'd have even less of a place in the line-up than Rask while making more money for more term.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Hasn't Guerin pretty much said no to Monahan multiple times?
Reportedly, though I think it was always specifically in regards to Dumba.

Either way, they've been shopping Monahan for awhile and pretty much the entire league's said "no thanks." If his role's been reduced I'd say even Calgary has probably given up on the idea that he's actually worth much.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
If we are doing Strome for Greenway, the question is: Why? Ryan S has a cap hit of 4.5M, which this roster really can't sustain.

Dylan Strome carries a 3M cap hit to RFA status, and that doesn't offer any relief or help either.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
If we are doing Strome for Greenway, the question is: Why? Both are on expiring contracts, so there would be an extra cap hit of .9M this year, and his RFA status means that we would spend maybe 3.5M/yr on his next contract, which this roster can't really afford...

Right?
More or less. Strome's one of those players where there's no best case scenario: he's either a rental or they end up extending him for too much money.

Reactions: thestonedkoala

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
If we are doing Strome for Greenway, the question is: Why? Both are on expiring contracts, so there would be an extra cap hit of .9M this year, and his RFA status means that we would spend maybe 3.5M/yr on his next contract, which this roster can't really afford...

Right?

i mean, probably because we need a 2c more that a 3w.

would give us most of a season to see how he gels and if he likes it here and then have the opportunity to sign him to an extension well before he hits FA

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Again, parallels between Monahan and Trochek can be drawn, though Monahan is far more accomplished than Trochek was. Perhaps Eric Staal circa 2016 is the best comparison, though Staal was 31 yo at the time, not 27 yo like Monahan.

No C on the Wild has come even close to accomplishing what Monahan has as an offensive player. He has more points than Zuccarello in the NHL, and is 7 years younger. He has over 3 times the total career points (439 to 133), has a career FO of 50% to Hartman's 44 %, and they are the same age. He has had a significantly better career than Ryan Strome, let alone his brother.

I get that he has been crap recently, but I don't see how he can be done at 27 yo. Certainly worth a shot, IMO, if the cost is as small (i.e. Greenway+) as has been speculated. I suspect that CAL probably wants more.

Dickie Dunn

Jan 4, 2016
Minneapolis
I can agree about the cap concerns but how many seasons are they willing to flush because Guerin can’t find an NHL center or 3 to play on this team?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Bowman steeped down as the Hawks GM. For those wanting Strome now might be the time to strike.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad