News Article: Towering Laine possesses a powerful confidence

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He shows tantalizing flashes of what he could be.

Hopefully Armia makes life easier for Laine and adding Laine somehow helps Armia to reach the next level.

But it's fun that they (most likely) will end up on the same team, in the past there were so many (bad) Armia comparisons with Laine.

antiqueslivers

Apr 16, 2015
I really really dig Armia. Hoping he turns a corner this year and becomes part of a killer Finnish Duo with laine.

Also totally became a Finnish hockey fan after this last WC tourney.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I never quite appreciated Laine's rock star status in Finland until reading that article. Having huge marketability in a country of 5.5M people can't be discounted, especially when you're talking about a small market team like Winnipeg.

Should be an easy decision for the Jets staff come June 24th.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I never quite appreciated Laine's rock star status in Finland until reading that article. Having huge marketability in a country of 5.5M people can't be discounted, especially when you're talking about a small market team like Winnipeg.

Should be an easy decision for the Jets staff come June 24th.

What would be the true benefit to the Jets?

I could see it as a help attracting UFAs - but not much else?

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Its a Good thing that Toronto has the first pick then cause we get what's left for it truly is a very hard pick to pick, dammed if you do and dammed if you don't, you just cant win but that's been Toronto's problem now going on for 50 years.

I know what you mean but that expression just doesn't fit. It is blessed if you do and blessed if you don't, we just can't lose. Even if we take PJ we win. We just can't lose here. Just 5 weeks ago we were hoping Edmonton would draft a D so that one of PLD or Tkachuk would fall to us at 6. We would have been dancing in the streets if that had happened. This is so much better! :D

If we had #1 though I still take Matthews. C beats winger. But it is very close.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
What would be the true benefit to the Jets?

I could see it as a help attracting UFAs - but not much else?

All pro sports teams want to increase their visibility in overseas markets. I don't know enough about sports marketing or Finland to know how impactful Laine would be to the Jets bottom line - it could very well be minimal. Some of our Finnish friends might be able to elaborate further.

One possibility I've thought of: a Finnish sports network picking up the rights to broadcast Jets games?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
All pro sports teams want to increase their visibility in overseas markets. I don't know enough about sports marketing or Finland to know how impactful Laine would be to the Jets bottom line - it could very well be minimal. Some of our Finnish friends might be able to elaborate further.

One possibility I've thought of: a Finnish sports network picking up the rights to Jets games?

Viaplay/Viasat right now has the NHL rights here, it's originally started by a Swedish company and Finnish Viasat Oy became a part of it -96.
It owns the Nordic countries when it comes to sports :laugh: I'm a huge fan of Viaplay, easy to use and it's starting to have the rights to all of the big leagues, NHL/KHL/Golf/NFL, all the biggest football leagues here, so all I/we need is 1 sport channel package. I doubt anything changes on that front. Barkov didn't change.

I'm sure there will be Finns that will be buying Laine jerseys and will start traveling to games.
I'd expect something similar that what Barkov has brought to Florida, everyone knows the team and the team gets mentioned a lot in the news thanks to Barkov, lot of new fans but don't know how much it will in the end help the Jets.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad