WJC: Tournament standouts and dissapointments so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
For two dmen who everyone said would absolutely dominate this tournament, they havent really done much of anything. A combined zero goals and 5 points thru the round robin isnt anything to write home about. Especially for a team that scored 33 goals. Their play has been fine, maybe I just expected more from the way they were hyped on here
Byram alone completed more offensive zone passes than all of Finland did last night.

If you want to watch box scores, that’s fine. But don’t comment on the play of players if you’re just a box score watcher. Those two control the play every single shift. It’s downright domination regardless of what your hockey pool says.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Please be disappointed in Roby Jarventie but not too much.
Honestly I thought Matti's son Robbie Jarventie would be played with Lundell and Simontaival?I guess the Finnish coach sees it differently. Robbie has great size and will put it together he was a a high 2nd round kid for a reason! Good Luck to him,the Finnish team moving forward and all the competitors!

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Honestly I thought Matti's son Robbie Jarventie would be played with Lundell and Simontaival?I guess the Finnish coach sees it differently. Robbie has great size and will put it together he was a a high 2nd round kid for a reason! Good Luck to him,the Finnish team moving forward and all the competitors!
He was, he was demoted

Reactions: andys

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Byram alone completed more offensive zone passes than all of Finland did last night.

If you want to watch box scores, that’s fine. But don’t comment on the play of players if you’re just a box score watcher. Those two control the play every single shift. It’s downright domination regardless of what your hockey pool says.

Maybe thru your biased eyes. I mean you just cherry picked the s*** out of a random stat. Canada dominated the game and Finland didnt generate anything.

All im saying is I was expecting a lot more

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
Byram and Drysdale
Maybe thru your biased eyes. I mean you just cherry picked the s*** out of a random stat. Canada dominated the game and Finland didnt generate anything.

Well how about this stat then? Byram and Drysdale are each a tournament leading +13. the next highest Canadian defensemen is Harley at +10 and the next highest d-man after that is Brock Faber at just +7.

They haven't been putting up the points like previous stud defensemen in this tourney (though Drysdale has only recently been put on the powerplay... and only the second unit), but their possession game has been nothing short of masterful.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I didn't know that hopefully Robbie Jarventie makes his way back to the top line with Lundell and Somintaival where he belongs?
Does he belong there, though? Jarventie has been as invisible as anyone in the tournament.

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Does he belong there, though? Jarventie has been as invisible as anyone in the tournament.
Its a short Tourny,sometimes players take longer to adjust,I think he will do fine the Finns need him scoring goals and playing well

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Really hasn't seemed like he belongs there.
I think he'll do it soon!
jarventie.jpg

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Weird that you're using points to evaluate defensmens' effectiveness.

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Stutzle is f***ing awesome. I like Byfield but I think Stutzle is going to end up the better player when it’s all said and done.
Playing with a short bench on a lower tier team, the German top line is essentially carrying the team. Kid looks comfortable in the spotlight and with the C. I'm excited to see his career progress in the NHL.

Zegras, Byfield, and I like what I see from McMichael and Perfetti. Sorry for the Canada bias eh.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Bias lol. You clearly don't know hockey if you are underwhelmed with Byram cuz of.....PoINtS .

He's been excellent and looks like Doughty clone

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Standouts
Simontaival
Niemela
Raty
Zegras
Stuztle
Petreka
Amirov

Canada hasn’t had any competition yet to really say

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
:help::help:
Byram and Drysdale

Well how about this stat then? Byram and Drysdale are each a tournament leading +13. the next highest Canadian defensemen is Harley at +10 and the next highest d-man after that is Brock Faber at just +7.

They haven't been putting up the points like previous stud defensemen in this tourney (though Drysdale has only recently been put on the powerplay... and only the second unit), but their possession game has been nothing short of masterful.

Lol so your are going to jump to +/- which has been proven time and time again the most useless stat in hockey to prove your point? They have outscored opponents 33-4, no s*** they have a good +/- rating
upload_2021-1-1_13-49-10.gif

Weird that you're using points to evaluate defensmens' effectiveness.

Well considering they havent been forced to defend at all this tournament thats about all we can go on, no? Unless you believe they were really tested in 16-2 and 10-0 victories
upload_2021-1-1_13-50-15.gif

Bias lol. You clearly don't know hockey if you are underwhelmed with Byram cuz of.....PoINtS .

He's been excellent and looks like Doughty clone

Lol the classic “clearly you dont know hockey”. I expected him to be a bigger contributor for sure. He hasnt been tested in the d zone so how can anyone praise his dzone play? Hes a good player but relative to expectations you guys set for him hes been subpar

Avsavsavsavsavs

Nov 30, 2017
:help::help:

Lol so your are going to jump to +/- which has been proven time and time again the most useless stat in hockey to prove your point? They have outscored opponents 33-4, no s*** they have a good +/- rating View attachment 381411

Well considering they havent been forced to defend at all this tournament thats about all we can go on, no? Unless you believe they were really tested in 16-2 and 10-0 victories View attachment 381412

Lol the classic “clearly you dont know hockey”. I expected him to be a bigger contributor for sure. He hasnt been tested in the d zone so how can anyone praise his dzone play? Hes a good player but relative to expectations you guys set for him hes been subpar

Everyone's wrong but me!!!!!1111

Truckfighter

Jul 9, 2002
Brock Faber has been quietly excellent for a DY player. Poised, efficient, great skater, solid defensively, chips in offensively, plays physical, and rarely if ever turns the puck over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad