Speculation: Toughness and Brad Treliving

How likely will Treliving add toughness to TOR?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
How likely will Treliving bring in one or two tough guys this season?

Will he build this team with more jam than Dubas used to?
I certainly hope that toughness is a new requirement in everyone we bring in.
I don’t mean just a Gudas or Simmonds.
Players with skill that play aggressive, north/south and with pace. That should be everyone. I don’t need 1 tough guy like a Reeves per se. Total team.

40BayStreet

Feb 3, 2011
Toronto
We definitely need more team toughness. But adding tough 4th line players isn't going to help. I believe the problem is the top players on this team don't play tough, and therefore it doesn't trickle down throughout the lineup. When the top players on a team play hard, go to the dirty areas, stand up for themselves / teammates, etc.... then it is more likely that the rest of the team will instinctively do it as well. Adding a player like Schenn was great and highly needed because he played with Rielly and was able to provide that presence, but Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares don't have that in their repertoire. Until that aspect gets sorted out no amount of tough guys will help.
But I definitely think Treliving will try and add a few tough guys to this team in order to try and counteract the softness of the core 4.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
None of the poll options.

? - Matthews - marner
Knies - ? - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Tavares - ?
? - ? - Lafferty

? = some grit

Buntings are not what are needed.

Be nice if they could add a top 3 defender with robust grit.

Reactions: ZEBROA

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
As in having someone like Milan Lucic (hopefully for much less money). I believe the defense will be transformed by next summer, perhaps by the trade deadline of this upcoming season into a much different group of defenders. Don't be surprised that only Rielly survives the turnover.
Yep that's vibe I got last night ..

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
The way the team responds to tough teams right now is embarrassing, the last time I was proud was against Winnipeg a few years ago in the Canadian division, I don't remember why but we manhandled them in a few games.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
In recent years Dubas filled a lot of the depth with toughness. Don't think the forwards will be very different unless Marner or Nylander are dealt.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
In recent years Dubas filled a lot of the depth with toughness. Don't think the forwards will be very different unless Marner or Nylander are dealt.
You can't change a team's identity at the deadline, you can add toughness but the identity won't change, it needs to start in training camp and be engrained in the team from the get go.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
You can't change a team's identity at the deadline, you can add toughness but the identity won't change, it needs to start in training camp and be engrained in the team from the get go.
I'd say redoing everyone around the core every fricken year also has been detrimental to the teams idenity, they're made up of a entitled few and the remainder are misfit toys to be replaced with other misfit toys...........

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
None of the poll options.

? - Matthews - marner
Knies - ? - Nylander
Jarnkrok - Tavares - ?
? - ? - Lafferty

? = some grit

Buntings are not what are needed.

Be nice if they could add a top 3 defender with robust grit.
Hard to find #2C without moving 16 or 88. Best affordable, bang for the buck UFA Cs are Bjugstad, Kampf, Sundvist ???

Bertuzzi, Barbashev, Erne, Lucic, Domi, Nosek, Bunts (23 g) are LW targets IMO.

Mayfield at the right price.

Will be interesting to see how Tre reinvents the D.

I'd say redoing everyone around the core every fricken year also has been detrimental to the teams idenity, they're made up of a entitled few and the remainder are misfit toys to be replaced with other misfit toys...........
How not to build a team - by Kyle Dubas 2018-2023

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hard to find #2C without moving 16 or 88. Best affordable, bang for the buck UFA Cs are Bjugstad, Kampf, Sundvist ???

Bertuzzi, Barbashev, Erne, Lucic, Domi, Nosek, Bunts (23 g) are LW targets IMO.

Mayfield at the right price.

Will be interesting to see how Tre reinvents the D.

How not to build a team - by Kyle Dubas 2018-2023
Soon to be a best seller………

• Haha
Reactions: Eric bungay

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
You can definitely be sure of one thing - there will be a group of people that will claim we're "tougher", and Treliving saved us from the evil bad glasses man, when we stay the exact same level of "toughness" as we are now (which is perfectly normal).

Reactions: Lauro

ryno23

Feb 5, 2010
I think Tree is going to change how the Leafs play. He will add a few players who don't mind mixing it up and then tell his star players that it's time to put their big boy pants on and don't shy away from the physical stuff. He will want all players to engage in the hard areas along the board and in front of each net.

In the playoffs, you won't see guys get rag dolled around anymore and this team will stick up for their teammates when they get blown up like Gudas did to Lilly.

I'm not saying they will start to fight but they will be told your grown men playing against other grown men. Stop backing down and get involved.

He will have a D corps that will have at least one guy on each pairing teams will have to keep their heads up when playing against them. If Schenn and McCabe are back that leaves one pairing to fix.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad