Total Hockey -> Pure Hockey - Doing away with free skate sharpenings

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
I was just in Pure Hockey today for the grand reopening, and to get my skates sharpened. While I was waiting around I started reading up on the transition from Total Hockey to Pure Hockey. In their FAQ section it mentions that platinum members from the old program will have one year to use their remaining free sharpenings. That will no longer be offered in their new rewards programs.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those who may not have known.

https://www.purehockey.com/support/Pure_Rewards_Program/pg_id/70000

Q. What will happen to unused free skate sharpening credits on my account?

A. Remaining free sharpening credits can be used at any Pure Hockey retail location within 12 months of your transition date. However, any skate sharpening credits that are unused after 12 months of your transition date will be forfeited, and you will no longer receive additional free skate sharpening credits each year.

Last edited:

Bladetek

I was just in Pure Hockey today for the grand reopening, and to get my skates sharpened. While I was waiting around I started reading up on the transition from Total Hockey to Pure Hockey. In their FAQ section it mentions that platinum members from the old program will have one year to use their remaining free sharpenings. That will no longer be offered in their new rewards programs.

Just wanted to give a heads up to those who may not have known.

https://www.purehockey.com/support/Pure_Rewards_Program/pg_id/70000

Q. What will happen to unused free skate sharpening credits on my account?

A. Remaining free sharpening credits can be used at any Pure Hockey retail location within 12 months of your transition date. However, any skate sharpening credits that are unused after 12 months of your transition date will be forfeited, and you will no longer receive additional free skate sharpening credits each year.
Is free skate sharpening really free ?

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Back under the old program you could spend like 40 or 50 bucks to become a platinum member. I don't remember the exact price on that. With that came 26 free sharpenings a year. I always played inline so I only did the gold program. Well, I started playing ice last year so I paid, I think 20 bucks to upgrade to platinum so I would get the sharpenings. 26 a year always seemed way to excessive but that is what they offered. I joined in January and have used like 6 of them.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
From the link (bolded mine)

"As you know, Total Hockey went through bankruptcy and survived after being acquired by Pure Hockey. In reviewing Total Hockey’s business, management realized that providing free sharpening and free return shipping was not sustainable. Pure Hockey needed to make changes that would allow them to continue to provide its customers with great product, unmatched services and hockey expertise."

Depending on what that means (the bold) they may or not be legally obligated to honour the commitments of Total hockey, but they are saying they don't intend to.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Reasonably frustrating. I used to work at Players Bench (so I'm certainly biased) but we're running out of places to get good service here in Denver.

I always thought that "free sharpening" was a brilliant marketing ploy, since most people spend 15-20 minutes wandering around the store looking at products while you sharpen their skates for "free".

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
They used to do free skate sharpening?!?!?

Currently live near a pure hockey (always been, not rebranded) had no idea.

FlyChicaga

Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I've had my last 40 or so sharpenings for free. I'll tell you that waiting for my skates to get done, I've certainly made enough purchases in the store to compensate. For instance the $276 I recently spent on new shoulders and elbows... While waiting on my skates, I tried on almost every pair in my size, and I like to support my LHS even if I will save $30 online.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org

I believe you could upgrade to a "platinum" membership which included X free sharpenings per year.

Noting that paying for a membership means necessarily that the sharpenings aren't "free".

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007

Total Hockey was the one that used to do the "free" sharpening. Now that Pure Hockey owns them, they are doing away with it but giving a year grace period, basically. Sorry if the title was a bit unclear on that.

Creepingjeff

Mar 4, 2016
To add to this, they are closing out a lot of stuff really cheap on their website now, especially items that were branded with their name. I was able to get goalie pads for my squirt for next year for $50, a helmet for $60 and a goalie stick for $20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad