Confirmed with Link: Tortorella Fired Pt II: "The Search"

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
I wholeheartedly agree with everything people are saying about Sather, btw. I just don't feel it's even worth commenting on at this point. I've been coming to this board for 9 years and we've been having the same general conversation about Sather for 9 years. I prefer to let it rest.

See, I feel the opposite. I've been coming here for 8 years, and I've grown tired of discussing trivial matters that essentially don't matter in the big picture. Deliberating over "minor" details such as a roster move or coach seems, at this point, futile, when you know that nothing will change until the big picture changes.

Glen Sather is the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise, and aside from Mike Milbury, is easily the worst front office executive in this sport or any of the other major North American pro team sports.

These reports coming out about how Sather had no intention of firing Tortorella until the players spoke up are a microcosm of the whole situation. Clearly, Sather has no idea what he's doing. He has no idea what's going on, he has no idea how to read the situation on the ice, off the ice, and clearly he has no idea how to read the situation from the business side.

**** you, "Slats."

Anthony Eclair

Anthony Eclair
Jan 14, 2012
“Yes, we do have to win it differently than in the NHL.

At this time of year (the playoff stretch run), if we’re protecting a one-goal lead and it’s a faceoff in our own zone, I’m sending out Mike Zigomanis (the best faceoff man in the organization), but if it’s game 19 or something like that, I’m sending a young centre out . . . we may lose the game and those points, but it’s about development here, and at the NHL its always about points.â€

-Dallas Eakins

I want to show this to everyone who is doubting Eakins because he seems too soft on his players. Yes he is a players coach and after what Nazem Kadri said about him, we all know he can get our confidence up. But if you guys hear "a players coach" and automatically think "a softie" you're wrong. Eakins is a no nonsense type of guy and he'll contribute to everything that needs to be fixed. He knows that in the NHL it's entirely about winning and from his words, he seems ready for that type of commitment.

Clown Fiesta

Aug 15, 2005
Montana
We'll know just how much of a grip Sather still has on this team by who is hired. Indications are he's letting go a little and turning things over to his management team. Hopefully it's true, I also don't think they'll hire a young relatively unproven coach but will see, while it could be a disaster it also could be just what we need. Someone who hasn't been in the NHL a long time and needs to build a reputation might be more focused on winning and not just saying he coached the Rangers.

That said I say it's an 85% chance we hire a Ruff or AV. How I'm wrong but if it's those two I take AV? Maybe, IDK.

Dec 13, 2010
Eakins and Wilson are my top choices. If you're going to give someone less experienced a chance, I'd interview Mike Johnston (coach/GM from Portland Winterhawks) who has been one of the most successful WHL coaches over the last few years. Seems like he knows how to work with the type of players we have.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
See, I feel the opposite. I've been coming here for 8 years, and I've grown tired of discussing trivial matters that essentially don't matter in the big picture. Deliberating over "minor" details such as a roster move or coach seems, at this point, futile, when you know that nothing will change until the big picture changes.

Glen Sather is the worst thing that ever happened to this franchise, and aside from Mike Milbury, is easily the worst front office executive in this sport or any of the other major North American pro team sports.

These reports coming out about how Sather had no intention of firing Tortorella until the players spoke up are a microcosm of the whole situation. Clearly, Sather has no idea what he's doing. He has no idea what's going on, he has no idea how to read the situation on the ice, off the ice, and clearly he has no idea how to read the situation from the business side.

**** you, "Slats."

Agree 100%. Its been a series of fly by the seat of your pants moves for a solid 13 years now. No direction. No strong commitment to anything.

On Monday, Sather didnt think he was firing his coach. By Wednesday, he's fired.

Commence what will likely be a sloppy search for a new coach. A coach that will likely have zero idea whether he'll have Brad Richards to work with or what the roster will look like in general come October. Why? Because Glen Sather doesnt know.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I want my coach to keep his players accountable but he doesn't have to be an ass about it.

That's all I ever asked as a player and as a fan.

**** you, "Slats."

Excellent as always Sting.

Agree 100%. Its been a series of fly by the seat of your pants moves for a solid 13 years now. No direction. No strong commitment to anything.

On Monday, Sather didnt think he was firing his coach. By Wednesday, he's fired.

Commence what will likely be a sloppy search for a new coach. A coach that will likely have zero idea whether he'll have Brad Richards to work with or what the roster will look like in general come October. Why? Because Glen Sather doesnt know.

It should be a huge wake up to anyone who follows this team closely. How could Sather not know, always the same question we're asking ourselves.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Agreed, though he has had a very strong commitment to free agency failures.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
When Burke fired Ron Wilson in 11-12,why did he hire Carlyle instead of Eakins?

Babcock was the Ducks AHL coach for 2 years before getting the Ducks job. He was a successful WHL coach before moving to the pros.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
So what?

Sather sucks. We all know it and we all want him gone, but he is not going anywhere until he decides to retire (not anytime soon I bet) or dies.

Sather sucks but at this point its just not worth your energy and time to be pissed about it. You can't do anything about it, and Dolan sure as **** won't do anything about it. I agree with every single thing you guys have said about him but the only thing that happens in a Sather discussion is "He is at fault for everything bad, and we want him gone".

Its common sense.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC

Babcock was the Ducks AHL coach for 2 years before getting the Ducks job. He was a successful WHL coach before moving to the pros.

Carlyle was his pal.

Babcock's junior career was 7 seasons, 3 very good ones, 4 losing seasons.

NYRSchrute217

Oct 28, 2008

My guess is Burke felt the talent was there and that Wilson was not getting enough out of his team. Plus Carlyle and Burke won a cup together in Anaheim.

Just curious, who's your choice RB?

Feb 27, 2002
NYC

I'm going to give Sather the benefit of the doubt here. He might have felt that Torts was going to come back until he heard from certain key players and it was clear that he couldn't.

Now, the disturbing part of that scenario is it shows how out of touch Sather is on a day-to-day basis.

Agreed.

Gorton might be playing more of a role in the front office, but I can see that being limited to player moves. Sather is going to fire the coach. And he tends to do things in a lazy, sloppy manner. Lindy Ruff and Alain Vigneault have emerged as candidates because they are the most obvious candidates.

Messier has been mentioned because of his connection to Sather and hiring him would be a great PR move to the less-involved hockey. Bringing Messier back in 2000 was more of an emotional move than it was a hockey move. Hiring him as coach would be the same thing.

It's a shame that some of the posters here have mentioned better out of the box candidates than Sather probably ever will. Ironically enough, arguably Sather's best hire was the guy who was the least heralded — Tom Renney.

Blueshirt Believer

Feb 28, 2012
bernmeister posts some odd things, but his suggestion earlier in the thread that we should hire Lena Dunham to coach this team was a little longer outside the box than usual. Anyone understood the reasoning behind her?

Not that I would mind a women coach, but...

He was making a joke, Lena Dunham is a television creator.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009
So what?

Sather sucks. We all know it and we all want him gone, but he is not going anywhere until he decides to retire (not anytime soon I bet) or dies.

Sather sucks but at this point its just not worth your energy and time to be pissed about it. You can't do anything about it, and Dolan sure as **** won't do anything about it. I agree with every single thing you guys have said about him but the only thing that happens in a Sather discussion is "He is at fault for everything bad, and we want him gone".

Its common sense.

What blows my mind is this. Dolan makes headlines because he gets pissed at some security lady doing her job because she doesn't recognize him and fires her on the spot

Glen Sather has pissed away MILLIONS of his money and nothing.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
I'm going to give Sather the benefit of the doubt here. He might have felt that Torts was going to come back until he heard from certain key players and it was clear that he couldn't.

Now, the disturbing part of that scenario is it shows how out of touch Sather is on a day-to-day basis.

Agreed.

Gorton might be playing more of a role in the front office, but I can see that being limited to player moves. Sather is going to fire the coach. And he tends to do things in a lazy, sloppy manner. Lindy Ruff and Alain Vigneault have emerged as candidates because they are the most obvious candidates.

Messier has been mentioned because of his connection to Sather and hiring him would be a great PR move to the less-involved hockey. Bringing Messier back in 2000 was more of an emotional move than it was a hockey move. Hiring him as coach would be the same thing.

It's a shame that some of the posters here have mentioned better out of the box candidates than Sather probably ever will. Ironically enough, arguably Sather's best hire was the guy who was the least heralded — Tom Renney.

Absolutely agree.

Renney overachieved with what he was handed. No one ever talks about having to deal with a ton of youth and the different 'personalities'(Jagr, Avery just for starters !) he had to deal with while making the club successful.

Torts was brought in to 'take that next step'. How anyone thinks he is the best coach in decades just wasn't a Renney fan in the same way they thought Leetch was a horrible choice for captain - not vocal and obvious enough for the blue collar fans who don't tune in for the heady parts of the game.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008

**** you, "Slats."

shame on you then for believing this. I am by no means endorsing Sather, but the image that you and others have crafted of a bumbling fool walking up and down his office in his bathrobe, petting his cat is the epitome of scapegoat mentality. He's surrounded by hockey intelligence, and knows exactly why he fired Tortorella, he's just NOT TELLING YOU WHY!

He's GM of the franchise, you aren't. you are privy to ZERO information.

We can't blame the coach for the team's performance, but we can blame the GM? BS!

Last edited:

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
We weren't pregressing as an organization with Torts as the HC.

The Conference Finals were nice, a nice illusion.

The continous capitulation in all three zones is and was disgusting.

The lack of a competent breakout,

The lack of any noticable organized offensive attack,

the lack of a half way decently funcuntioning Power Play

Accountability that showed up on the time sheets for most of the younger guys.

I can appreciate a coach being hard on players. I get that it is their jobs to get the best out of the group he has, but I also get that the flip side to that is in CONJUNCTION to the harsh critiques, there has GOT to be an equal amount of praise.

It serves no one any good when all you hear out of a coach is negativity. That goes for all walks of life. Any boss that does nothing but criticize his staff will not be a boss long.

The comments after the Buffalo game. Did he really need to chose the tone and the words to get his message across that he wasn't happy?

They had just won 4 of the 5 previous games and thats how you go about voicing your feelings? And to do it in a public forum like that?

He's an old school coach playing in a modern era. As long as he continues to be and coach the way he is and does, his shelf life will get shorter and shorter at each new stop much like Keenan.

Ian

Mike York fan club
Jul 5, 2007
Long Island, NY
What blows my mind is this. Dolan makes headlines because he gets pissed at some security lady doing her job because she doesn't recognize him and fires her on the spot

Glen Sather has pissed away MILLIONS of his money and nothing.

That's not totally true - Sather gets so much rope (IMO) because he makes Dolan money in something that he doesn't give two ***** about.

The Rangers have played a ton of playoff games the last few years (relative to most teams), operate under a strict league cap, and have maintained basically constant sell outs/max season subscribers under a pretty agressive price increase since the lockout (not to mention, the exposure from things like the winter classic, 24/7, European season openings, etc, etc).

Dolan is the worst kind of owner possible - meddles in things he THINKS he understands to an insane degree (Knicks), and completely ignores problems as long as it continues to make him money (Rangers).

Sather is only gone from this team in two ways; he retires, or Rangers start losing money.

NYR Sting

Heart and Soul
Jul 4, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
Absolutely agree.

Renney overachieved with what he was handed. No one ever talks about having to deal with a ton of youth and the different 'personalities'(Jagr, Avery just for starters !) he had to deal with while making the club successful.

Torts was brought in to 'take that next step'. How anyone thinks he is the best coach in decades just wasn't a Renney fan in the same way they thought Leetch was a horrible choice for captain - not vocal and obvious enough for the blue collar fans who don't tune in for the heady parts of the game.

Renney deserves credit for dealing with youth and personalities, yes - but the biggest reason Renney deserves a ton of credit is, quite simply, because the team was awful. Michal Rozsival was this team's number one defenseman! The blueline was filled with rookies or scrubs, the team had no depth.

LaffyTaffyNYR

Feb 25, 2012
so wait let me get this straight guys on paper a team that has Rick Nash, Marian Gaborik, Brad Richards, Henrik Lundqvist, and a world class D among many other young forwards like Stepan, Callahan, etc is not good enough? I will be the first to admit Sather has sucked over the duration, but lately (especially this year) the team has underperformed. that falls on the team and coaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad